Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Something I've Noticed.....
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:18 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

While me and a fellow folder have been battling it out over a shot at who gets to wear the top 1000 crown first, I have noticed that a few of the formerly stagnant members have come alive again and begun to resume their contributions. I am of the opinion that, upon seeing how fast - relatively, neither me or my battle partner turn in especially head-turning numbers yet - me and Lunky have blown past them, perhaps they feel they need to get back to it in a effort to catch up....or at any rate, have less threats on their list.

:lol:

Post subject: Re: Something I've Noticed.....
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:32 pm 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

I remember when I was excited to be hitting 25k ppd last summer. Now I can hit 80k :D

All because of a competition. And it got mochong to build a quad 9800GX2 folder.

Ted

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:16 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Cooler weather brings some of the folders back to life, along with people returning to school/college I think. Seeing others pass you up can certainly have an effect. Whatever the case, it's all good.

The competition angle can be quite compelling. Having watched and participated in the Chimp Challenge and the Race to 4 Billion, I can say it made me want to do more.

Whoever came up with the points system was very clever. If we can convince our Congressmen to put a line on the 1040 to convert points into charitable deductions, production would see another bump.

Tedster wrote:
Now I can hit 80k :D

Probably not right now if your getting sent the same mix of WUs I've had this week. It has cut my PPD by 8-9K. No bigadv, only 67xx for CPU. GPU has only been 611 point WUs. I've read about how the projects are benchmarked. Still leaves me puzzled. :|

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:34 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

I was wondering why all my WU's took a hit, then Lunky got his machine folding more robustly and I really fell behind. That, and I still have not completed 10 SMP WU's yet so I still do not get the full points of that yet. But not to worry, my gaming rig also happens to be my 24/7 folder and I have some surprises and curve balls to throw into the mix in the next few weeks. I also know that I will be getting my 10th SMP WU done soon and then also plan to have something of a monster coming online as well.... Nothing too fancy, you can stop drooling and close your mouth, Ted.

Suffice it to say that I am going to be retiring my 3.56ghz Pentium 4 fileserver (Mild Overclock).
I only WISH it were an SR-2.

As I have said before, I have a few ideas on how to attract more folders and the current folders on our team to start amping it up a bit, but I am ironing out the deets right now.

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:26 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Its funny because I have had no problems getting bigadv since I started back up about a week ago.
I remember when I was only getting about 8k ppd with my single video card. I quickly caught the bug though and bought more and moar!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:12 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

Will a gt 240 be able to do bigadv and if so, what is the simplest way to get it going?

ooo...I just noticed that my PPD for SMP on my Phenom x4 9850 just shot up from about 700 to 1439 with a 1597-point Work unit. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

I Likey.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:22 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Bigadv is for CPUs, and only 3.3 ghz+ clocked i7s and some other procs like the xeons on the sr2.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:37 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

meh.

That's OK, I'll be building a faster rig soon and also pulling out a nice scary monster hopefully before Halloween.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:43 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Full_Taoer wrote:
If we can convince our Congressmen to put a line on the 1040 to convert points into charitable deductions, production would see another bump.

That would be a great thing if you could deduct this some how. It would probably be a big circle, here is my folding rebate, here is my new cpu, gpu, ect for folding.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:31 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

Probably stimulate the economy a bit because people would start Folding who never use more than a dual core with integrated graphics. It would also stimulate the tech sector that produces all these tasty parallel-processing treats.

What's the downside? Getting left in the dust on the charts because of uber-rich people who build really big expensive machines to get the tax credit ducats. But that will be fun too. :P

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:40 pm 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

thejake490 wrote:
Getting left in the dust on the charts because of uber-rich people who build really big expensive machines to get the tax credit ducats. But that will be fun too. :P

I must be RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY lucky, since my uncle falls into that group. he probably wouldn't let me build some awesome folder though. (though he did give me 35 old laptops that his company was retiring for a project where I sent them to Israel to a place for children that have problems in their families; I ran F@H on about 12 of them while I waited to send them though (a single uniprocessor client) and was allowed to keep one of them)

Don't be jealous. I'm not trying to make anybody jealous here (REALLY).

Ted

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:37 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

That's really cool of you to send those to Israel for those kids. I am not jealous at all... To get the kind of performance I want out of a laptop for gaming, I would have to spend a few grand....so I just run a Dell with a 1.4ghz processor, 512mb of RAM and Ubuntu 10.10 LTS for my mobile computing needs.

That Sony Vaio I have in the hardware swap is actually a laptop my boss has and it is for sale there too, but we're just checking out this venue because it is capable of both GPU and SMP. I'd buy it but cannot justify it and still get my dream machine later this coming year. :P

meh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:55 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

So this is weird... I was checking my SMP logs today to see where I was in making the mark so I can get bonuses. I went through and found that three WU's could not even be uploaded because of a read/write error. I have now disabled anti-virus scans of all the directories which contain WU's, because Microsoft Security Essentials likes to scan every single "New" file. (Namely the WU's in this case which are compressed and renamed before sending and I guess MSE assumes they need to be scanned while another program is trying to use them).

Another fine Microsoft product.

We'll see whether my efforts have proven moot on the 30th when my next SMP WU completes.

:roll:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:15 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

I have MSE running on all my rigs and it's never stopped a wu so I doubt that's the prob.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:11 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

magnumsrule wrote:
I have MSE running on all my rigs and it's never stopped a wu so I doubt that's the prob.

Ditto.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:48 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

Well, I had stopped the clients on that machine so that I could install a new PSU and I had a few issues with not being able to boot into windows when that happened. However, I did check the logs and the two previous WU's before this last one which did not get uploaded DID go through. Apparently I was reading a different log that had come from another machine. Still, I will see what is gong on when the next SMP does it's upload and go from there. I like MSE because it seems to be very thorough and if this is not the issue, then I have a needle stack full to hunt for another needle.

Not too many programs, but still a task needing more patience.
:?