Hola amigos, time for an update! Since last time, I decided that I'm going to try a better quality spray paint, I wasn't happy with the results of the Rustoleum. As much as I like to keep my shopping dollars local, I was unable to find what I was looking for at my area auto part stores, home centers, etc., so I ordered these from http://tcpglobal.com/
I was happy with this stuff, the spray was consistent and the color is nice. Between the previous over spray blobs and having a piece fall off its hanger in the paintbox, I was pretty much back to square one painting the internals. It didn't take me long to go through it, here's how far I got with it.
About half the internals are ready for clear coat. As I'm on a shoestring modding budget, its going to be a week or so until I pick up more paint. I had a couple other things I wanted to get done in the meantime. First, I wanted to clean up the back side of the fiberglass bezel. Here's the before shot-
After a couple hours filling in low spots with bondo, sanding, spot filler putty, more sanding, and cleaning up excess epoxy here's how it looks now.
The epoxy is no joke! It passes the "can it hold a power drill?" test.
Next up I'm going to mount a top exhaust fan. I downloaded a fan template from mnpctech.com and got to work. The next two shots were taken on my phone, I ran out of storage on the regular cam and didn't want to stop working at the time.
3/16" drill bit for mounting holes, and I used the dremel for the opening. Here's how it turned out.
The unibody panel also has a roof, so an opening needed to be made there as well.
Now the fun part, coming up with the grill design. I stumbled across wookiepedia, http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Wookieepedia:WookieeProject_Images/Gallery_of_insignia,_logos,_and_symbols
. It has just about any Star Wars logo imaginable. I decided on a simplified version of the Imperial Crest of the Galactic Empire.
I cut out the outer section for the opening, and used the dremel at the lowest speed for the initial cut.
This took a lot longer than I expected, the plastic melted very easily, so I had to stop cutting frequently. Here's how it looked after being cleaned up with some filing and sanding.
Next cut out the inner section, and traced it onto the leftover piece from the fan opening.
I used my older, worn down cutting disks and the tungsten cutter bit for this part. Here's how it looked after filing and sanding.
Now our final mock up before paint.
Thanks for looking, cheers!