Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Installed a Docsis 3.0 modem and doubled my internet speed.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:25 pm 

This is with Cox communication and their premiere plan for home internet users. I suspected that most of the cable companies were getting ready for streaming TV and that Docsis 3.0 was the next best thing to fiber to the home. Boy was I right! Replaced my Motorola SB5100 cable modem with the new Motorola 6120 Docsis 3.0 modem from Amazon. Went from 35 to 70 in about 20 minutes with the install.
Funky install procedure. Looked like Win7 did not recognize any internet connection, but when I opened my Firefox browser, there was a message from Cox on self install of the new cable modem! It did not work and finally told me to call Cox. The lady asked for the customer number on the bottom as well as its MAC address. She reset the cable modem, I reset my router and off I went. First time I have EVER seen 4+ MB/sec on Vuze.

D'oh! Saw that this subject was talked about under speed test... I had NOT heard of anything about Cox going to Docsis 3 before I tried this, just took a chance. Heh.

Post subject: Re: Installed a Docsis 3.0 modem and doubled my internet spe
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:15 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

That is cool I have the Premier plan, might have to try that. Wonder if it has something to do with the Ultimate plan? I know with the Ultimate you go to a DOCSIS 3.0 modem and you are suppose to get 50 Mbps down and 5 Mbps up. I know with my Premier plan I get a 30Mbps down all the time. You would think there is something on their backend that would prevent user from just upgrading a modem to get the Ultimate service.

Does anyone know if the the Moto SB6120 modem is the best or is there a better one? I see a list from cox, but didn't know if that one seems to be giving up faster speeds better than others.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:21 pm 

In reply to jlh:
The Motorola 6120 is on Cox's "approved" list so I would definitely go with that. BTW, I had NO idea that it was, just happened to buy the right one. I don't think any other brand is better, just the one that works!
Boy was I surprised to see such a jump in speed myself. What I think is happening is that Cox just pumps out the bandwidth to a particular neighborhood expecting to see slowdowns in busy places. I live in a lower middle class neighborhood so not much competition to slow me down.
DOCSIS 3 and Premier plan? Who knows! I am still paying for the premier plan but am getting this insane bandwidth anyways. Just lucky I guess.
Funny how most of the time, I don't notice much improvement in speed. Some web pages pop, others the same. P2P goes much faster, sometimes up to 4MB/s, with 1-2 MB/s more usual. (that is NOT a typo, that is a big B!). Youtube is about the same speed as before. So no real good reason to upgrade except for the bragging rights and P2P.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:08 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

I ordered the moto 6120 from amazon on Monday. Tuesday night I know have downloads of 68 Mbps (during heavy traffic times it drops to around 55 Mbps). Uploads have gone from 5 Mbps to almost 12 Mbps. Worth the upgrade, of course maybe we should have kept this on the down low so not everyone goes out and buys new modems and cox figures out what we are up to :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:40 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

jlh304 wrote:
You would think there is something on their backend that would prevent user from just upgrading a modem to get the Ultimate service.

Does anyone know if the the Moto SB6120 modem is the best or is there a better one? I see a list from cox, but didn't know if that one seems to be giving up faster speeds better than others.

The DOCSIS 3 modems double your speed because you are now using 2 frequencies on the downstream. The upstream does not usually increase as that still only uses 1 frequency to work.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:56 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Xman wrote:
The DOCSIS 3 modems double your speed because you are now using 2 frequencies on the downstream. The upstream does not usually increase as that still only uses 1 frequency to work.

I checked out the wiki on this last week http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS. They can really add in a lot more speed to this.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:07 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

My company just upgraded all levels of service. But you may need a D3 modem to take advantage of the new speeds. The SB6120 is on our list too. I was always partial to Motorola modems.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:53 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

jlh304 wrote:
Xman wrote:

I checked out the wiki on this last week http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS. They can really add in a lot more speed to this.

The are I work in a docsis3 modem will now sometimes pick up all the frequencies that are used for HSI. The more frequencies your modem can pick up the faster your download speeds will be. I have seen speeds of 90+ at some houses.