Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New Quantum Computing Algorithm
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:31 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

It appears that quantum computers could prove to be more useful than many people have previously thought:

Quote:
A new algorithm may give quantum computers a new, practical job: quickly solving monster linear equations. Such problems are at the heart of complex processes such as image and video processing, genetic analyses and even Internet traffic control.

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic ... _equations

Post subject: Re: New Quantum Computing Algorithm
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:10 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Interesting.

Quote:
The new quantum algorithm is “head-smackingly good,” says computer scientist Daniel Spielman of Yale University. “It is both very powerful, and very natural. I read the abstract and said, ‘Why didn’t I think of that?’”

That is my favourite kind of solution. :)

I wish they'd gone into more detail but I am pretty sure that it would have gone over my head. :P

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:06 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Gadget wrote:
It appears that quantum computers could prove to be more useful than many people have previously thought:

OK, great...now where is this machine? It seems that no one has really successfully built a true quantum computer. I'm starting to think that we're thinking of problems we could potentially solve on a machine that has yet to fully exist.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:40 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

DJSPIN80 wrote:
Gadget wrote:

OK, great...now where is this machine? It seems that no one has really successfully built a true quantum computer. I'm starting to think that we're thinking of problems we could potentially solve on a machine that has yet to fully exist.
LOL

Welcome to quantum computing. :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:26 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

DJSPIN80 wrote:
Gadget wrote:

Well, the truth of the matter is that computing models (Turing machine, Markov model, Parallel machines) have always preceded actual computing machinery. After all, who is going to invest the time and money into developing a machine when it isn't clear what the machine will be able to perform?

Regarding quantum computers, there is actually a pretty interesting debate/discussion (I'm not sure what to call it at this point) regarding D-Wave, a handful of well-known theorists, and now Google. Things are getting interesting... I just haven't had a chance to post it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:38 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

Jipstyle wrote:
Interesting.

Quote:
The new quantum algorithm is “head-smackingly good,” says computer scientist Daniel Spielman of Yale University. “It is both very powerful, and very natural. I read the abstract and said, ‘Why didn’t I think of that?’”

That is my favourite kind of solution. :)

I wish they'd gone into more detail but I am pretty sure that it would have gone over my head. :P

Quantum mechanics goes over everyones head! =)

Actually, I might hunt down this paper and one or more papers on Shor's algorithm because I'm curious about the algorithms, and more importantly from a research and computer science perspective, gathering some information about the theoretical model used to describe quantum computing. The theoretical model will/should abstract out all of those confusing bits... err, rather qubits. Sorry, I couldn't resist.