Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Maximum Tech
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:07 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:16 am
Posts: 9
Apologies if this is the wrong sub-forum...

So the inaugural issue of Maximum Tech is going to be a newsstand special? Any chance we'll see links to pre-order the mag from the MPC site?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Maximum Tech
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:48 am 
Malware specialist
Malware specialist
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:49 pm
Posts: 11696
Location: Kansas City, KS
I doubt it.

Looks like it will be newsstand only for the time being.

By the way, it will be a quarterly magazine (at least at first I would assume) and depending how it takes off, maybe they would make it monthly.

I know I would love to have another magazine with the MPC style.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Maximum Tech
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:55 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:07 am
Posts: 839
Location: Maryland
Is it here yet? I haven't spotted it.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Maximum Tech
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:41 am 
Northwood
Northwood

Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 11:16 pm
Posts: 2057
mono wrote:
Apologies if this is the wrong sub-forum...

So the inaugural issue of Maximum Tech is going to be a newsstand special? Any chance we'll see links to pre-order the mag from the MPC site?

Will it have a CD filled with wonderful treasures you can download for free? ([/sarcasm] It's just been that kind of day.)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Maximum Tech
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:48 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:29 pm
Posts: 9
I cannt find the place


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Maximum Tech
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:05 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:09 am
Posts: 10
so is it not possible currently to subscribe to maxiumtech ? Is there anything that states how often maxiumtech is published and if it's only available at the newstand? I wasn't even sure if the magazine is actually published or if it's just online only.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Maximum Tech
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:28 am 
Malware specialist
Malware specialist
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:49 pm
Posts: 11696
Location: Kansas City, KS
merk wrote:
so is it not possible currently to subscribe to maxiumtech ? Is there anything that states how often maxiumtech is published and if it's only available at the newstand? I wasn't even sure if the magazine is actually published or if it's just online only.


It is currently a newsstand only magazine and should be available right now. It is published quarterly and should cost about $9.99 an issue.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Maximum Tech
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:44 am 
8086
8086

Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:09 am
Posts: 10
$9.99 an issue? I'm not sure it's worth it at that price. I'll have to decide once i actually see the issue, assuming i remember to look for it.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Maximum Tech
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:42 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:40 pm
Posts: 24339
Location: South of heaven
You've never bought MaximumPC off the stand either I assume. $10 is cheap if you want talk about phones instead of computers. I want you to buy it because I'm sick of Tech Crap in MPC. No more "what's the inside of a cell phone look like" crap. Duh! We've all smashed a few and seen it...thanks!

$7 OTD here for one issue of MPC. Tech should have their own pimp page though, not here. Or I can mention AnandTechfor great coverage! They can cover several topics at once online, and probably have room for print. MPC's down to 4 people or something? 3DfX was too....

Adapt...take the stories (for free) that were given from forum members...don't just steal them, make them your own, and then find another job. I wrote a 1/4 of the meat the readers read for the last 2 years. MPC/Future is wrong way beyond pushing other mags for good prices. If it's that good, credit the writer or make it a challenge. I've got 5 on it...


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Maximum Tech
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:13 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:09 am
Posts: 10
nope, never bought it off the newstand. I subscribe. I went into borders and picked up a copy of maximum tech. it is $10 - i've only read the first few pages - not sure if i am going to pay $10 for it. Seems pricey to me for something the same size as maxiumpc. Plus in all honesty, i wont remember to pick it up anyhow.

Not sure about your complaint about mpc stealing content or what not - that's a whole other ball of wax.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:03 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:54 pm
Posts: 35
So wait - Maximum Tech is for stuff like mobile phones and the like? Didn't they try that once a few years ago, with the superior mag MobilePC (later renamed Mobile, if I remember right)? I loved that mag, and found it much more useful than MaxPC.

I wish they'd start putting that mag out again.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Maximum Tech
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:11 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:09 am
Posts: 10
maximum tech is broader then mobile pc. Maximum tech looks like it will basically cover just about anything that runs on electricity, short of major house hold appliances :)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Maximum Tech
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:06 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:37 am
Posts: 331
Location: Maximum PC Secret Headquarters
Chumly wrote:
You've never bought MaximumPC off the stand either I assume. $10 is cheap if you want talk about phones instead of computers. I want you to buy it because I'm sick of Tech Crap in MPC. No more "what's the inside of a cell phone look like" crap. Duh! We've all smashed a few and seen it...thanks!

$7 OTD here for one issue of MPC. Tech should have their own pimp page though, not here. Or I can mention AnandTechfor great coverage! They can cover several topics at once online, and probably have room for print. MPC's down to 4 people or something? 3DfX was too....

Adapt...take the stories (for free) that were given from forum members...don't just steal them, make them your own, and then find another job. I wrote a 1/4 of the meat the readers read for the last 2 years. MPC/Future is wrong way beyond pushing other mags for good prices. If it's that good, credit the writer or make it a challenge. I've got 5 on it...


What?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Maximum Tech
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:17 am 
8086
8086

Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:52 am
Posts: 1
I picked up Maximum Tech yesterday and briefly glanced it over after I got home. From what I'd seen so far, the magazine looks good. I thought the price tag of $9.99 was a bit high, but I spent worse on other things . For a debut magazine, the content was not bad. I like the fact that it is not a reharsh of MaximumPC. The only gripe I had was that I had to go to a local bookstore to buy it. I try to avoid retail store as much as possible because it is such a hassle and major inconvenience with work and family life in the way. If you guys at Maximum PC make it subscription base and even lower the price a bit, I will be amongst the first to place the order.

Again, I am still a huge fan of Maximum PC, and I wish you guys the best in your new venture with Maximum Tech.

J


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Maximum Tech
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:30 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:54 pm
Posts: 35
nedwards wrote:
Chumly wrote:
You've never bought MaximumPC off the stand either I assume. $10 is cheap if you want talk about phones instead of computers. I want you to buy it because I'm sick of Tech Crap in MPC. No more "what's the inside of a cell phone look like" crap. Duh! We've all smashed a few and seen it...thanks!

$7 OTD here for one issue of MPC. Tech should have their own pimp page though, not here. Or I can mention AnandTechfor great coverage! They can cover several topics at once online, and probably have room for print. MPC's down to 4 people or something? 3DfX was too....

Adapt...take the stories (for free) that were given from forum members...don't just steal them, make them your own, and then find another job. I wrote a 1/4 of the meat the readers read for the last 2 years. MPC/Future is wrong way beyond pushing other mags for good prices. If it's that good, credit the writer or make it a challenge. I've got 5 on it...


What?


Just ignore him. He's been a little gassy of late. I think somebody needs to change him and then maybe a nap.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Maximum Tech
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:42 pm 
Team Dino
Team Dino
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:29 am
Posts: 6124
Location: Huntsville, Alabama.
I purchased the issue at a store last night, and my suggestion is to find people outside of your normal staff for writers/experts.

I am very disappointed in the RX-V3900 review though. Not because it's a bad product, and not because the unit wasn't fully tested, but because you're recommending a product at the end of the life. I first read a thorough review of that unit back in March of 2009.

I understand recommending the RX-V3900 because it's a fairly loaded product for a reasonable price at this time, but that is 'On-Sale Tech', not Maximum Tech.

The best I can figure is the real reason for the review is that Michael Brown owns one so it was easy to review.

n0b0dykn0ws


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Maximum Tech
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:27 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:15 pm
Posts: 10
Barnes and Noble does not carry Maximum Tech. I looked everywhere in the magazine racks, but couldn't find Maximum Tech magazine (I found a few copies of Maximum PC though). I went up to the info desk and asked if they had Maximum Tech magazine, and why it wasn't on the magazine rack. She just simply told me, "You don't see it there, because we don't carry it." She acted like she had never heard of the magazine before but she typed it in her computer and searched for it under her inventory. I was planning on purchasing this, but if I can't find it anywhere, how am I going to buy it? I'm sending an email to Andrea Recio-Ang
Senior Marketing Manager and Allyson Kardel
Marketing Coordinator and I just hope that is the right department from http://www.maximumpc.com/help/contact

So there are confirmed reports of it appearing in Borders according to this thread. Are there any other stores that anyone has seen Maximum Tech?


Last edited by maxuh on Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Maximum Tech
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:38 pm 
Malware specialist
Malware specialist
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:49 pm
Posts: 11696
Location: Kansas City, KS
It may take a while before some of the places get it.

You may want to consider contacting Jon Phillips from that contact page as well since he is the Editor-in-Chief.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Maximum Tech
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:41 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:15 pm
Posts: 10
hackman2007 wrote:
It may take a while before some of the places get it.

You may want to consider contacting Jon Phillips from that contact page as well since he is the Editor-in-Chief.


I'll try that also. We keep on being told in the forums that editors do not have any purview on advertising, distribution, and subscriptions. Only editorial content. So this is the reason for my look elsewhere (different department).


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Maximum Tech
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:46 pm 
Malware specialist
Malware specialist
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:49 pm
Posts: 11696
Location: Kansas City, KS
maxuh wrote:
hackman2007 wrote:
It may take a while before some of the places get it.

You may want to consider contacting Jon Phillips from that contact page as well since he is the Editor-in-Chief.


I'll try that also. We keep on being told in the forums that editors do not have any purview on advertising, distribution, and subscriptions. Only editorial content. So this is the reason for my look elsewhere (different department).


Yeah, but editors can put pressure on the departments in which we can't (in this case the department that does the distributing/marketing).

There is a good chance the e-mails to the marketing people will get caught in the spam/junk filter.


Top
  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group