Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:05 pm 

@Spartacus - No hacks, I swear. ;)

@Wiked_smart - Thanks a lot mate, the name Helios and a logo (TBD) will be incorporated subtlety.

@Jipstyle - I like exotic materials, and I have a history of building WAY over the top mods with stupid price tags... at this point is just tradition. ;) The airflow wont be a big issue, as the turbulence will occur after exiting the rads - if it's not already clear, there is no window and the components are left exposed.

Thanks for reading eveyone, tune in soon and take care.

*j

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:33 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Ah .. sweet .. thanks for clarifying.

I'm looking forward to watching this project develop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:50 am 
Mr. Late Night
Mr. Late Night

Going to keep an eye on this project myself as well. Very well planned and thought out and a different approach to case design than what I have seen in the past. You must have some very deep pockets to even consider making that thing out of titanium although the grade of carbon fiber that you're using doesn't look to be cheap either. What I'd really like to see on the inside is an all out go nuts system that would stomp everything out there. Like say a workstation class motherboard with a pair of i7 980x CPUs along with a pair of Radeon HD 5970 video cards ;)

Post subject: Re: Project: Helios - concept, design and planning
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:58 pm 

The high-grade composite panels required for construction of this project are being manufactured this week!

The panels in question are 16mm thick and composed of an astonishing 52layers. (The details of manufacturing will be released with the update... there's some CRAZY science and pressure involved to achieve the desired effect).

The panels are being made from an incredibly high grade of carbon usually reserved for military aerospace applications. In addition there are some other composite materials intermixed in the lay-up which will add some unique properties - but I don't want to say more and ruin the surprise.

I will have the panels in my hand in 2-3weeks, then I'll be sending them out for cutting straight away!

I'm elated that this is coming together as planned. I hope you will all enjoy the show, and if that's not reason enough for you, I plan on accompanying the commencement of Helios with an update on my PrometheusCU project as well.

Tune in soon for more...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:19 pm 

A 'small' order today from McMaster (physically speaking) - the necessary stainless steel hardware, fasteners, and misc. bits needed to assemble this project:
I can feel the enormity of the cost of this project already...
the parts to hold it together cost $1,180.03USD+tax and shipping.

The choice for stainless bumped up the cost considerably... but it's just too sexy to resist.

Now I'm just waiting on the composite panels that will compose the chassis to come in from California... I'm not even going to hint at how much the panels cost, and they need to be machined to spec still.

I still havent yet decided on the final hardware configuration, but I am sure it too will put a good dent in the old wallet.

*j

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:24 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

*stutters incoherently*
I cut out a case window this one time, that was pretty cool.... :lol:

Just amazing. Why no cut-out on the mobo tray for heatsink or water block installation and removal though? Or did you just not cut it out in your mock-up? In all your schems it shows the water block already attached so I couldn't get a good look.

Way to go! Puts the ol' "Rig of the months" to shame.
And :shock: to the cost!