Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: [first post please help]elonex nb1 question about upgrading
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:09 am 

hi, i recently bought a elonex nb1 webbook 1.6ghz processor and 512mb ram, i am happy with the processor speed as it runs windows 7 fine =](i didnt put it on, i bought it off someone from my dads work, its not a genuine copy so im buying xp in the comming week)

but the graphics and the 3d gaming graphics are both rated at 1.0 out of the 7.9 possible in windows 7.

so what i want to know, does anyone know if i could upgrade the graphics card in this notebook? because i cant find anything on the net about it.

and also i used to have a samsung r40+ that broke beyond repair... but the ram is still good(im not that good at technical terms) and i was wondering aswell if i could put the two 512mb ram cards/sticks/units in my nb1 because i think it has two conectors for it as it says 448+64=512mb(i dont want to open the laptop up for no reason as it is in imaculate condition)

so basicaly, can i upgrade the graphics and the ram? and will the laptop accept 1gb ram instead of the 512mb that is standard??

the ram i want to use is samsung sd2 and i know that the nb1 uses sd2 ram so are all sd2 ram units the same? like shape/size???

thanks =]

tom.

Post subject: Re: [first post please help]elonex nb1 question about upgrad
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:03 pm 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

No, you can not upgrade the GPU.

For the RAM, there is likely 2 different (not interchangeable) standards, and the netbook likely only has 1 slot for the memory.

Ted

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:26 pm 

do you think it is worth opening it up to have a look or not then??

shame about the graphics, only using it for college but i would like it to be a pit more powerful then the rating of 2.0 in ram, the hard drive is rated 4.8 =] so im happy with that.

thanks,

tom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:28 pm 

If you're a newbie, or just don't feel confident messing around in your webbook's innards, get a tech to work on it for you. That said, before you do anything else, do your homework. From a little quick research, it looks like the ram type is DDR2. I can't find what freq. it's running on, but it looks like it's indeed one stick of ram. As Ted said, the R40 uses a different kind of ram (DDR), so you won't be able to switch them. Even if you could, you could only put one in, so there'd be no improvement. If it were me, I'd go on Newegg, where you can find a 1 gig stick of DDR2 for as little as $20/£12.90. Hope this helps.