Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:23 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:44 am
Posts: 2681
Location: Up in you attic...Wi-Fi is delicious
What games made you leave PC gaming online? Honestly, it seems like a harsh and rash move. TF2, my drug of choice has dedicated servers with communities. They have admins who patrol their servers and protects it from cheaters and the like. Better, yet become an admin and feel the nice warm touch of the banhammer.

You have to take the good with the bad sometimes, but your missing out by just dropping it for the cheaters. I find maybe one cheater per like 10 games and I can deal with that.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:42 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:07 am
Posts: 839
Location: Maryland
Not sure if you would consider this cheating but since I never play online games, I always like to have unlimited lives, health, weapons, whatever. I just don't have enough time in my day to play without cheat codes. It's not fun for me to keep dying on the same level. It becomes frustrating. Now what I usually won't do is use an unlock all levels code. I like to play the game in order.

(I usually play console platformers like Mario or Spyro)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:57 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:44 am
Posts: 2681
Location: Up in you attic...Wi-Fi is delicious
I would say your cheating. The designers made the game a certain way with certain restrictions. For me there is not moral/entertaining/satisfying victory if I'm going outside what they set it to be.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:59 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:31 am
Posts: 176
For the same reason some people like to get on a server and grief. Some people are just asshats.

<edit> Let me be clear. I don't care at all if someone wants to cheat at a single player game, but the moment they jump into a multiplayer game and start cheating they instantly become an asshat.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:33 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:22 pm
Posts: 198
One word answers are banned, so here goes:

Why do people cheat?

Lazy
False Pride
Pretenders

I am sure there are other reasons.

There are some games that require "cheating". This has become so evident that games have included cheating modules. For me WoW would suck even worse than it did if there were no Quest Helper...

As for PvP, cheating is intolerable, as it is in shooters like CoD4 MW.

I believe games should be fun. PvP cheating is no fun.

Some people may think that using an outside source, such as Teamspeak or Ventrilo is cheating, however, I do not believe it is; they are utilities that allow better communication, and therefore more fun. During relaxed times offhand remarks can be funny as well.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:50 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:22 pm
Posts: 198
Another thing that burns me up is players whining that some class or person or persons are over powered, when the real reason for their complaining is the other person knows the game or how to play his character better than the person complaining.

Juvinile.

Some people are lazy and do not put the time and effort into the game the other person did, or even ask questions in order to learn..., so, they complain... VN boards are full of those people, and the sad thing is they are often listened to by a company.

Nerf.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why do people cheat?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:37 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:11 am
Posts: 181
I am part of COD4 clan where ppl cheat on the server on a daily basis. The best answer I can think of is because They Can.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why do people cheat?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:25 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Posts: 24222
Location: Granite Heaven
Gilbert_pwns wrote:
I am part of COD4 clan where ppl cheat on the server on a daily basis. The best answer I can think of is because They Can.

That is not a reason .. it is an excuse.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why do people cheat?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:52 am 
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:17 am
Posts: 2509
Location: Zion
Jipstyle wrote:
Gilbert_pwns wrote:
I am part of COD4 clan where ppl cheat on the server on a daily basis. The best answer I can think of is because They Can.

That is not a reason .. it is an excuse.


Also, having the ability to do something doesn't automatically make it right. I have the ability to murder someone, but you won't see me doing it.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:41 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:58 am
Posts: 982
Queenof1 wrote:
Not sure if you would consider this cheating but since I never play online games, I always like to have unlimited lives, health, weapons, whatever. I just don't have enough time in my day to play without cheat codes. It's not fun for me to keep dying on the same level. It becomes frustrating. Now what I usually won't do is use an unlock all levels code. I like to play the game in order.

(I usually play console platformers like Mario or Spyro)


Yeah, you are cheating. But, you aren't using it to ruin someone else's experience of the game.

The cheats that piss off most of us are on the multiplayer arena. Where mods, hacks and known exploits are used to beat opponents.

If you cheat in games that are self contained, then it doesn't ruin anyone else's experience, but rather enhance yours, since you can't devote as much time as you would like to a game in order to gain the proficiency/skill cheating supplies to you.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why do people cheat?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:21 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:11 am
Posts: 181
Phosphorous wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:
Gilbert_pwns wrote:
I am part of COD4 clan where ppl cheat on the server on a daily basis. The best answer I can think of is because They Can.

That is not a reason .. it is an excuse.


Also, having the ability to do something doesn't automatically make it right. I have the ability to murder someone, but you won't see me doing it.



I never said it was right, or that it was justified in anyway. Thats also a bad analogy because the consequences between murdering someone and cheating in a game are VERY different.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why do people cheat?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:16 am 
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:17 am
Posts: 2509
Location: Zion
Gilbert_pwns wrote:
murdering someone and cheating in a game are VERY different.


Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't realize that. :roll:

The point of the ridiculous analogy was basically to show the ridiculous nature of cheating in a multiplayer game. At least how I see it anyway.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why do people cheat?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:06 pm 
Team Member*
Team Member*
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:22 pm
Posts: 1982
Location: FL
I think that all in all most of us feel the same way, we hate cheaters and what they do! I think most of us play the games that we love because it is fun, exciting, and rewarding. When some one cheats is takes the comradery out of the game that we all love and respect. I play mostly on xbox but have played on an old computer as well. I know that cheaters come in a forms but none have my respect! :evil:


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why do people cheat?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:52 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:55 am
Posts: 1955
Location: Bing! O_O
I guess I'll elaborate on my experiences on a whole. These are the cheaters I have encountered over my years of gaming.

The "This game is BS"er/Blatent Griefer. Have you ever played a new game online and just not "get it"? Like it clicks for others but something about it just doesn't work for you and no matter how much (or little) effort you put into the game you don't seem to be getting better. That's the origins of these particular kind of cheater. They don't understand the game and think it must therefore be flawed to the point that no one should enjoy it.

The Pro Cheater. This is that guy, the one who is amazing at the game he plays. By all means he belongs in one of the top teams based on his skill alone BUT something about his competitive nature just makes reach for that extra little edge.

The Entrepreneur Cheater/Thief. Hacks are big business. Some "companies" offer the latest undetectable hacks for games at a monthly rate and they make profits doing it. You'll see them all the time joining CSS/COD severs. They speed hack, aimbot, wall hack, weapons hack, every kind of hack imaginable then spam a website url before they get vote banned. Sadly, some people go their and subscribe because 'What the hell, if other people are doing it, why aren't I?'. Really, this is the worst kind imho because not only are they spreading hacks, they are profiting off of other peoples misery.\

The Exploiter. This is a different kind of cheater. Their mentality is simple. "If it's in the game, it's not cheating". These can be more common then normal hackers but they tend to ruin the gaming experience of other none the less. I'll give you a brief example in TF2. There is a map known as Gravel pit in which one team defends areas while the others attack. Someone discovered a way that the engineer class can clip under the ground terrain and land on the skybox which is directly below. From their he could build a sentry that could shoot out of that terrain geometry but no one could see it or destroy it. This made the map nearly unplayable as the attacking team would have to scramble up less formidable units that could better infiltrate past the sentry to capture the area without being killed, leaving their heavier units at the side lines and at a major disadvantage.

The AdminHacker. This guy isn't cheating, he's exploiting a position of power. Sometimes you'll see these on CSS servers where suddenly the round will restart mid game. Why? Because the Admin died and didn't want to sit out waiting for the round to end. Other times they will spawn with weapons not readily available to their team, or slap (a Admin command that bounces a player in the air, disrupting their aim or anything else they we're doing) a player who was going to cause his team to lose the round, set beacons on players they can't find, kill enemies just using a command or any other number of abusive behavior.

That's all I can think of atm though I'm sure I could categorize a few more (White Hat Hacker comes to mind) but it's getting late =)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why do people cheat?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:17 am 
8086
8086

Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:14 am
Posts: 1
Location: Chicago,Illinois,USA
It really has to do with the the self satisfaction winning brings to oneself, and this is typically an unhealthy practice. People who tend to do so usually end up having difficulty in facing life and its challenges at their actual worth.In real life, there's winning, followed by constant losing. Cheating in games to win, as you say, nothing in return has definitely a bad effect on the person doing it, and sometimes reflects what he really is, probably he's doing it at work too!

I know such people...they're everywhere!!


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why do people cheat?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:55 am 
8086
8086

Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:39 pm
Posts: 17
Cheaters wont really appreciate how happy a person is if you win the game with fair play and determination. Not just playing with cheats and fell that you are owning but deep inside you know what you are capable to do without these cheats. It is sad to think that you just win because you cheat not by winning using your skills and it is shameful. You can't also prove anything to anyone because you are just a cheater.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why do people cheat?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:21 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 11:34 am
Posts: 133
by the same token you can ask .. why do people steal and rob? or hack credit acrd accounts or you know what i mean
because they are plain old fashioned evil

now cheating privatly off line in single player im not totally against it if it makes you happy


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why do people cheat?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:39 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:55 pm
Posts: 9217
Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
not against the cheats in single player, but how would one expect to ever gain the skills to beat anything without using cheats, I dont play online but I like fps, and i try to build my skills, by starting a game in easy mode, then progressivly working my way to the hardest level, then I play there whenever I play the game.

part of it is I have to learn the maps, I get lost easily, no sense of direction, may be age.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why do people cheat?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:24 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 11:34 am
Posts: 133
we can also compare cheaters in game or in real life like cheating on taxes or on your girl
why are they cheating?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why do people cheat?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:17 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Posts: 24222
Location: Granite Heaven
Quote:
why are they cheating?


Tiny penises.

/thread


Top
  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group