Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Geforce 9800 gtx video card overheating, running Directx 11
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:09 am 

I just don't get it.
Strangely enough dxdiag.exe shows that I have Direct X 11 but my video card says "No can do" Specky says I have Direct X 10. Nvidia control panel goes with dxdiag.exe. I have heard a lot of pat answers on this widespread problem and I have come across quite a few complaints about overheating video cards when the rest of the system is running at normal temps. I even cleaned the video card thoroughly and checked the thermal paste. I put it back together and checked the temperature. The GPU showed 80 Celsius minutes after reinstalling it. It seems to me that something is causing a false reading and the GPU is safe? It passed a benchmark fine and I turned the fan on high. Do you have any insight into this frustrating problem? Could it be a Windows 7 64 bit compatibility error? Or is a Direct X downfall?
:?

Time of this report: 7/15/2010, 03:03:31
Machine name: HESSEMON-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100226-1909)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: NVIDIA
System Model: 132-CK-NF79
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 2046MB RAM
Page File: 2533MB used, 1559MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 64bit Unicode

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:35 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

The only nvidia cards currently capable of rendering directx 11 draw rules are the fermi chip cards - basically, the 400 series. You have a dx10 card. Something may've dl'd dx11 but you won't see any renderings in that format.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:57 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Better yet, you have software version of DirectX 11 whilst your 9800 is hardware version DirectX 10. So yes, only the Fermi based 400 series with hardware DirectX 11 would be able to use it fully.

The DirectX issue shouldn't be related to your overheating issues. Is the heatsink making full contact with the chip? Did you apply too much/too little thermal paste? Is the fan at full speed? What are you checking temps with?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:43 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Dust bunnies? Is the GPU fan running? Try taking the side off your case while the PC is running? What are idle and full load temps of your GPU?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:30 am 

I do appreciate the responses, but again: Fans, Thermal paste, Air flow, etc... are all working great. CPU and RAM are cool but the video card heats up withing minutes of cold boot. Tried older driver but this did nothing. I don't buy what some are saying in response to this problem, that 68 Celcius is normal for a video card at boot-up. Like I said before, There are a lot of people out there with the same problem. Each has tried a multitude of suggestions and most had a cool running card until it suddenly showed an instant increase of about 20 degrees celcius, with the other hardware not being influenced at all. Direct X 10 and Windows 7 64 bit. were loaded at the same time, as well as new (Nvidia) video card drivers for 64 bit.
A lot of people with the same problem also showed "Direct X 11" in "dxdiag.exe", and "Direct X 10" in "system information.exe". Both on a GeForce 9800 GTX video card. Go figure!
My system runs great, otherwise. Even the video card checks OK in benchmarking. My video card may not be great but it's done me well so I'm a little scared to burn it out.

Post subject: Re: Geforce 9800 gtx video card overheating, running Directx
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:20 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I have dual 8800GTX's that I switch back and forth between regular and SLI mode with, on Win7 Ultimate x64, system has DX11, but includes DX10 to be utilized with my cards, since they're not DX11 compatible. It's common practice really, the system itself has DX11 installed, but since the GPU(s) is/are capable of only a certain level of DX compatibility, the system automatically pairs it up with that version, in your and my case, that's DX10. Microsoft's had it set that way for as long as I can remember, which is nice. Your PC is just ready for a DX11-capable card to be installed, but isn't going to leave your current hardware to the wolves. That temp is kinda scary, especially after a cold boot, however, what are the fans running at? I know that if I don't have Rivatuner control my fan speeds, maxing em out to 100% right away (and keeping them at that speed), despite the powerful fan blowing into them from my side panel, they get REALLY, REALLY hot. 68 actually is a good average temp, whether you want to believe it or not. But that's also to say that the fan isn't (constantly) maxed out either. 80, however, well that's absurdity. You're talking about cooking food with that temp level.

Also, when you checked the thermal material, etc., did you also make sure that the memory chips were being cooled properly as well? Those things get hot as hell, especially on the 88 - and 9800GTX's.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:05 am 

Well now my video card is crashing, even if I just turn it on and and let it idle. It still goes into a weird low res. jumbled screen. It does come back after I let it cool right down. A program showed that the card is fine. I was wondering weather flashing the video card bios would be worth trying, but I can't find the new bios anywhere. could someone help me with it? Maybe the card is shot. :?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:12 am 
Mr. Late Night
Mr. Late Night

jim hesse wrote:
Well now my video card is crashing, even if I just turn it on and and let it idle. It still goes into a weird low res. jumbled screen. It does come back after I let it cool right down. A program showed that the card is fine. I was wondering weather flashing the video card bios would be worth trying, but I can't find the new bios anywhere. could someone help me with it? Maybe the card is shot. :?

This along with your first post of idle temps of 80 degrees Celsius lead me to believe that something is wrong with the cooling. When you checked the thermal paste did you re-apply it or just check to see if there was an adequate amount? If you didn't re-apply it I would recommend doing so at this point. Make sure that you remove all of the previous heatsink paste before you do so however and you only put on a very small amount of arctic silver (or whatever your thermal compound of choice is) usually a pea sized amount will do and spread it evenly. Your symptoms are typical for an overheating card and 80 degrees Celsius is definitely not a typical idle temp for that card.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:47 am 

Hey guys...I also experienced the same problem(s) with DX 11 upon ugrading my software to ver. 314.07. I have (2) nVidia 9800 GTX's SLI'ed on my PC(running Windows 7 Ultimate). System tells me I am running DX 11, however after buying Crysis 3 it tells me I need DX 11 ! After playing around with drivers and different video settings....still no change. I do notice however when my PC starts up, the fan speeds ramp right up and my cpu usuage goes past 60 %. I am running a Quad Core 2.83 with 8GIG of Corsair DDR3 ram. Apparently the big change came when I rolled backed my nVidia driver to ver. 310.90 , everything became more stable; the temp came back down to normal(105F)...fan speeds came back down and I returned Crysis 3 after much expectation of playing it. There is also one other way if you choose not to roll back your drivers....check Task Manager to see if you are running svchost.exe*32...it is an emulated 32 bit prog to run 64 bit....END the process and you will see temp and fan speeds come right down ! NVidia supposedly has driver(s) for Crysis 3....did not work for me either....thx NVidia !