Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:12 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

CrashTECH wrote:
cbassett01 wrote:
Yay! More world domination by MS...
:?

FWIW, I haven't been impressed with anything I have seen come out of Sun lately... MS seems to be the only shop that has it's head on straight as far as programming and such is concerned (IMO, of course).

I weep for sun, now know(ned) as Oracle. I wonder how long they were lingering for a buyer, and the effects on Java, MySQL, VirtualBox, Solaris etc..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:13 pm 

Thread bump.

I started reading through the sample chapters of Bruce Eckel's Java book, and he warns that the reader should have some basic programming knowledge before proceeding. He points to his Thinking in C downloadable seminar for less experienced people, but it seems that still requires a fundamental understanding of C.

I know absolutely nothing. I can't make a Hello World program in any language. I can't even make use of the command line without following step-by-step instructions. I'm a total n00b here. What's the best thing for a total n00b to start with?

I have the latest JDK and NetBeans installed on my PC. I have no idea where to start...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:30 pm 

SmallBASIC?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:28 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

MdX MaxX wrote:
I have the latest JDK and NetBeans installed on my PC. I have no idea where to start...

Start with the Java Trails -- http://download.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/

A little ways down there is a section on trails covering the basics. After finishing those trails, you'll be able to proceed through Bruce's book without any difficulties.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:23 pm 

Cool, thanks! I'll check it out.

This is exactly what I needed, something that starts off with the Hello World application.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:45 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

MdX MaxX wrote:
Cool, thanks! I'll check it out.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:50 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

CrashTECH wrote:
MS seems to be the only shop that has it's head on straight as far as programming and such is concerned (IMO, of course).

That's because you don't watch the Sun side of the coin very closely! It does appear that MSFT has gotten most of their development house in order (I would say back, but truthfully, it never has been very organized). The .NET stuff is certainly better than their older garbage. You have to give them a lot of credit for DirectX. They went from being way behind to ahead to the top of the game there (yes, the pun was intended).

However, as DJSpin mentioned, there is still just so much CRUFT around. Somtimes, I feel like they're intentionally trying to poison my brain. Just 2 cents... ;)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:53 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

Beomagi wrote:
I weep for sun, now know(ned) as Oracle. I wonder how long they were lingering for a buyer, and the effects on Java, MySQL, VirtualBox, Solaris etc..

In terms of the technology, I'm not too worried. Oracle has every incentive to make Solaris, VBox and Java as great as Sun. Their high-end database systems use these technologies, and hopefully, they'll continue further development on the Niagara product line, which was the best hardware to come out of Sun in quite some time. I never really like MySQL... but I'd be more than a little irked if something were to happen to Posgres or BerkeleyDB.

I am worried about the change in culture though. I'm not convinced that many former Sun employees are going to want to work at Oracle. It seems like we're losing some of our computer science culture here. OTOH, I just met someone the other day that enjoyed working for Oracle then switched to Microsoft and hated it. Different strokes for different folks...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:58 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

minitech wrote:
VB.NET is the best programming language there is for making everything except for kernel-mode apps, device drivers, and antivirus applications...

Hmm... :roll:
... or anything else that is reducible to a sequential, deterministic Turing-machine. :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: I'd like to learn a language this summer
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:11 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

cbassett01 wrote:
You can learn Java first, but it may be more difficult to understand at first, simply because java uses classes and object-oriented programming, whereas you can learn general C++ without having to understand classes and object-oriented programming right off the bat.

This is sort of true. I don't think that "faking" procedural programming in Java is all that hard though.

Of course, learning procedural programming in C++ often means dealing with the various forms of C/C++ spainglish. Now this can be a royal PITA for a newbie. Instead of learning C++ as a first language, I think it is better to just learn C instead. It's a smaller language with fewer headaches.

Java being an offshoot of C++ seems somewhat misleading to me. I think a better description of Java would be a minimal and simplified a Smalltalk programming environment using C syntax. Aside from some syntatic (sp?) similarity and popularity, C++ and Java don't have much else in common (compiled vs JVM, relatively small std library vs a large library, a relatively large language vs a fairly small language).