Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: VIDEO CARD OVERHEATING!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:28 am 

I have to be the first to admit the value of Maximum PC Magazine. I have spent a large number of hours of not just reading, but studying and soaking up this great wealth of knowledge. I pay $24.00 annually for the magazine but in truth I would have had to pay thousands of dollars to acquire this kind of computer skills from school. I even have computer technicians call me for help. The wide spectrum covered allows me to work on any windows environment (just don't ask me about Macs.) Thank-you guys so much for a job well done. :D
I have a strange problem with my XFX GeForce 9800GTX video card. Since I loaded Windows 7 64 bit. and all the necesarry drivers my video card started showing 67 degrees celcius. after a cold boot. I know it isn't a cooling problem because I keep my tower very clean. My CPU and RAM are both running cool (around 35 degrees celcius under load.) I have tried all the suggestions from other techs, including; New thermal paste, and trying older drivers. Like a lot of others who have this same issue dxdiag.exe shows that I have Direct X 11 and Speccy shows that I have Direct X 10. ??? Could this be a Direct X problem and could it cause a GPU to overheat?
My system; EVGA Nforce 790i Ultra SLI Mobo, XFX Geforce 9800 GTX video card, 2 GBs DDR3 RAM, Intel Q9550 CPU, and 750W. PSU., Windows 7 64 bit. OS.

Yours Truly Jim Hesse, Vancouver Island, Canada. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:04 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

That is a fairly average temperature for that GPU at idle. It isn't great but it isn't harmful, either.

Are you experiencing any artifacting / problems with graphics?

Have you tried using RivaTune or another fan-control application to ensure the fans are running at an appropriate speed?

Post subject: Re: VIDEO CARD OVERHEATING!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:23 pm 

67 degrees is actually not that hot for a video card. Mine usually goes up to 80 or maybe even more during gaming.

Post subject: Re: VIDEO CARD OVERHEATING!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:38 pm 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

I agree. When running folding@home, I have seen 8800 GT 512 MB's get up to 90 C

Ted