Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Increase my value
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:47 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

I'm just wondering if anyone out there in tv land has done this. I'd like to increase my value at work by becoming a certified tech (Acer, Toshiba, Sony HP, etc).

I'd like to be able to get their tech bulletens, order parts from them, recieve some items to service.

Anyone else gone about doing this and care to share on the steps, forms, and fees that are required?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:05 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

no ideas at all?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:56 am 
Willamette
Willamette

The first thing we need to know is what type of job are you looking for? Ideally? Meaning is this just something to do for now or for a long term career?

Personally I would start with your A+ and Network+ which will get the attention of the HR person and the hiring manager. Keep in mind that till you use these skills for a few years it is just paper. You also want to look at some MCTS or MCTIP exams.

83-640 is a good exam for MS it covers Server 2008 but it is hard and there are two parts. 1 part is normal questions the other is simulations where they give you tasks and you need to perform them.

On the other hand if all you want to strive for is a PC bench tech, which there is nothing wrong with except you won't make too much money then yes getting certs from ACER, DELL, IBM, etc.. will help you in that regard and you will have a much better shot at getting hired. Just keep in mind that you will not make much $$$ as a bench tech. Corp. won't care if you have ACER, DELL, etc... just bench tech jobs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:16 am 

Not sure how much help I can be, but I'm Dell Certified. The company I work for paid for it and I just had to take some tests.

More information can be found here: http://www.learndell.com/Dell/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:29 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Sorry forgot to mention what I've already got, I have my A+ software and hardware (did it before the switch) and my MCDST. What Phosphorous suggested it what I'm looking for but with Acer and Toshiba.