Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Best CBT's for 2003 or 2008 MCSE?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:34 am 

Hello all,

I am looking for some advice on which CBT products are the best choice for my situation. I have been a Windows sys admin for the last 6 years but never found it too important to get certified. I have decided to look for a new job and wanted to go ahead and get the certs to make myself more marketable. I have purchased the Microsoft Press certification books but am looking for some CBTs to compliment those. I learn better by seeing examples of the technology that is being talked about. I have narrowed down the decision to 2 products and would like feedback from anyone that has used them in the past.

Trainsignal
http://www.trainsignal.com/Windows-Server-2003-Active-Directory-Training-P15.aspx

CBT Nuggets
http://www.cbtnuggets.com/webapp/product?id=518

I have used CBT Nuggets in the past and have found them useful. I have also heard good things about the Trainsignal CBTs but have never seen any of them. The price leans heavily towards Trainsignal however I am looking for the best product. Thanks for any feedback.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:34 am 

I was jusssst about to post about this...sorry to piggyback off of your post...but Im interested in the same thing you're looking for as far as more training. Hopefully someone knows some good programs out there...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:22 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

You might want to look at Universities that are near your home, and see what they have to offer. Nearly every state, if not all have a Technology Learning Center, that offers classes in certifications.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:51 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Mike_Holli wrote:
You might want to look at Universities that are near your home, and see what they have to offer. Nearly every state, if not all have a Technology Learning Center, that offers classes in certifications.

Agreed. For the price that some of those videos are asking, you can take some classes at a community college that are geared directly towards the certifications. Plus you won't get access to the gear and face to face time with an instructor with the videos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:17 am 

I have mixed experiences with instructor lead classes. I have been in a few that were good but the majority of them were pretty poor. I knew more then the guy instructing them. For the most part I have seen very few instructors that have real world experience. Most are folks who boot camped their MCSE and then decided to make a little extra money by teaching.

As an update to the original post I have obtained both the train signal and cbt nugget versions of the study material for the 70-642 test. First impressions are that the cbt nuggets are easier to follow, which is surprising to me since I find the instructor James Conrad a bit of a goof ball. I plan on using both cbts and then going to take the test. I will report back once I take the exam and let you all know which one I found better suited to passing the exam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:03 am 

Please do. I personally prefer going at it the solo route with the help of MS Press books, but if these study aids are really helpful I'd be interested in giving them a shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:10 am 
Willamette
Willamette

This is my 2 cents. Trainsignal is a great product and so is CBT nuggets. Here is the problem. Both are expensive and both will only do so much for you. CBT Nuggets might better prepare you for the exam where Train Signal is better for the real world.

Howerver considering u have 6 years exp you should be able to pass the exam without any extra training. A book is fine