It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: :P <GRR> Chumly <GRR> ;)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:55 am 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

Dear Chumly,

Spot #50 is going to be mine (again).
Even with the heat of the summer I cannot stand for this despicable #51 spot no longer.
I plan on punching everything I've got to take 50 over again.
It shall be mine!
Then after I have a lead of 20-40K I'll back it down a bit for the purposes of maintaining a
reasonable temperate climate for my clan as the A/C can only do so much.

So, heads up. I'm coming for you! Make it interesting wouldja? :P :P :P

Regards fellow addict,
ddforrester

Solar Activity To Increase Soon, Again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:13 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:07 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

All fair in Folding Gauntlets. Matter of fact, I only picture bugs bunny slapping with his glove rather than iron clad war mittens when it's in here ;)

LOL, thanks for the PM dude. Honestly, I had thought you were 50 and I was like 52 or 51 and just hanging out there. I think I even mentioned wanting to talk and hear about #50 thinking it was you. I really had no idea I somehow bounced back up a notch and should check up on ranks more often.

Is there a timeline on this, or is it a full muster/total domination/quit only when you're ahead thing? Just to lay out what I have running and what's missing to be fair: I'm running one 260's and one GTS250; that's it. One 260 is down while I await yet another Win7 Pro disc, One GTS250 is out on a long over due RMA, GTX470 isn't folding, and not one CPU in the house is doing anything. Just been less of a hassle trying to manage them all, but this is good...I need to get back on that!

That's what's so cool about gauntlets and I'm glad ya threw it down finally dude! I was doing an easy 30K ppd and just slowly let it slide; and that was with lesser hardware and -bigadv knowledge gained in here since then. So get them 24-hour marks up, let the average start getting close, and I'll do what I can to make it exciting. If I were to be unfair, we just got in four racks of dual s771 E5420P's at work that are just sitting there ;)

Ya, if anything, you'll get me off my ass and get back to folding like I should be. It's just been a mess getting all computers to just actually behave. Win or lose, these are good for 11108.
-----------------------------------------
Solar Eclipse is July 11th viewable in South Pacific (like the Philippines). That usually brings earthquakes along with it in a +/- 7 day period, so that window started tonight. If our San Diego fault line is still a bit taunt, we might get a repeat. Hopefully that's done for now. And don't ya like them censor dots they put on the new photos of the sun? You use to also get great high-res photos from SOHO, but now all we get are grainy POS shots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:33 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

And it's turned on!
I imagined taking a few days to ramp up, but you're all over it. I've got about 3 days to get my act together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:49 pm 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

Hey Chum! Glad you got the PM. Hate kicking the dog when it's sleeping!
You've only had two GPU's running and you passed me like I was walking backwards. :oops:

Well, as you noticed and so kindly updated the stats-capture I've got one
more last hurrah left in our budget until things cool down this fall.

Thought I'd be all double-o and go covert but what's the fun in that?
I don't think I've ever posted in the gauntlets section for myself.
Just when the Creamies were getting trounced by Spider.

I've checked EOC a few times since the CC and noticed you climbing
up the stats but I was in denial and thought I'd somehow maintain just
enough to keep you in 51. Then I checked a few days ago and something
was amiss. We traded. I thought about it for a day and even asked the
wife. She didn't say yes but she didn't say no either. :wink:
She's familiar with this whole ideology we have here.
She felt my pain.
Or she's just real good to me.

So for a timeline? I think I want to get about 30K ahead if you can't stop
me and try and maintain 50 the rest of the summer. So, I guess I'm
challenging you to output enough PPD to slow things enough for me and
my modest oinker-bank to finally give in. I'd like to see you etch out just
enough PPD to convince me I'm stuck here on #51's flypaper.

Whatever the results we should be pretty close all winter and I'd like one of us to cry rematch.

About those racks.
I'd get a little giddy seeing them produce for 11108.
Whatever you can muster, eh?

Good luck. I'll be returning the #51 fridge magnet back to you shortly! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:12 pm 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

How about we play the...

Race2GordonGame!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:04 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

HAHA

Race2Gordon Game! That is awesome!

Glad to see some competition brewing in here.

It obviously helps production in these hot summer months!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:47 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Hey, that earthquake...happened just a bit ago. We had a 5.9 that was downgraded to a 5.4 and is giving me problems.

I lost half of some of my circuits and makes no sense. One breaker, for example, feeds the master bedroom, one wall of the computer room (my wall sadly), kitchen light, and bathroom. Well, I reset the breaker and the kitchen light and outdoor lights work...the other half is just gone. Lucky I just got new batteries in the APC 2200 Smart-UPS cause I just stretched it's legs today. I had ran a 20A dedicated line to one wall of the computer room where my big boys are, but I moved to the other wall and that's one that won't work now. So I'm kinda in damage control with the UPS in the middle of the room in the 20A socket and kinda looks like...well...hell the way I have stuff up and running.

Good freaking time for a mystery problem! Why the hell is half a circuit gone!? I'm on the phone while typing and no one can freaking figure it out. I had a lose lightbulb in the master bedroom, the shaking blew the bulb...but shouldn't have done more than that, and it did. I hate Mr. Murphy. This is a very odd problem, I've kicked in damage control like a good snipe, up and running...but I feel this is going to hit the wallet pretty hard. The kinda Brother-In-Law is an electrician up in Roseville and will be cheaper to fly him down, use my tools, and buy him beer than get a local electrician to just come look at it. If they touch my Zinsco breakers, I'm afraid that they're forced to update that thing finally. That's the chink in my electrical armor I've just neglected due to cost.

So I have one hand tied behind my back right now. I had planed to put some more CPU's and GPU's to work tonight, but that's down the toilet for a bit. It's ghetto, but my current plans until I can get someone here for assistance, I'm making up some fat gauged extension cords to get the other PC's up. Probably ending up back up in the attic and doing more runs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:58 pm 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

Geesh. Hope you get all circuits back again soon.
Extension cords have their own hazards.
As for half the circuit(s) check to make sure that the wires are actually
connected to the receptacles by the screws and not just pushed into the
backs. Pressing the wires into the "push-ins" on the backs of the receptacles
might be quick and easy but makes for a weak connection.

Will have to resume this race at the end of next week.
Systems getting shut down for camp.
Kidz 8)

Maybe you can catch up a bit :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:02 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I was wondering wtf happened to your points...they just went to zero.

These "extension" cords are heavy duty 1" round mutha-truckers that we use for 220V welders and I just make them 15" long so they're over-rated for running the UPS and everything on 'em. If I ran it off a regular extension cord, it'd get warm in about 5 minutes.

I poked around up in the attic and nothing is obvious. It's a mess though...I'd like to shoot the electrician that build this place in the 70's once again. I asked our plant's electrician, and he got me in the right direction. The light I changed to start this mess is the oldest fan in the house. It was probably installed in the 80's while the others are about 5 year old Hampton Bays. When they're off balance at all (and this one is slightly) and always on, it will slowly twist over time. That twists the wire bunch, and our best assumption is that I can pull the fan down and see a tension problem and the circuit probably broken right there.

When i went up, it was a puzzle. I'm use to seeing boxes at each device, but this house isn't like that. There's a box in a random place, and then spurs out to the devices. Instead of a J-box right over the Ceiling fan, it's just a run of romex from a box 15 ft away, back out of the fan, down to the light switch, back up...and I lost it. It just goes all over the place, it was 120-degrees up there, and an hour was all I had in me. I'm going to pull the fan down and check there first, and if that's savvy, I gotta follow the worst run in the attic.

I've gone through the house when I moved in. All switches and recepts were replaced and all grounds actually used, I use the posts not the push-ins, and added one extra box by the main box with 20A runs for the PC room and garage. Long story, but there was an issue a few years back that Reload helped out a lot and my GF's stepbrother came out to do the actual work. We have the dreaded Zinsco breakers and the side box with GE/Square D off the main line seemed like a good upgrade plan.

I'm a good electrician; not great, but good (It's kind of my job ;) ). My runs are all clean, are up to standard, and the routing just makes sense. I was about to pull it through conduit, but was suggested not to do that since it's a home. Anyway, my 20A run to the room and garage is way off to the side, the LAN runs are overhead in PVC and stapled down the scissor trusses, and am very orderly. Who ever did this house first, went for the shortest runs for the smallest cost, and why I want to hang the bastard.

Weird thing. At about 11AM the power to the two rooms came on, then off, then on, then off for good; all in about a minute. That backs our idea, but I was at work supplying San Diego with power, couldn't run home to jump on it, so I just had her kill the breaker until I can dig in there tomorrow.
---------------------------------------------------
I'm still up and running one PC just fine, so crank 'em back on when you get back...no sympathy in war ;) I'm good for 25K a day from this box I believe, but from that spike I see you had 40K potential before you dropped off. I'm really going to have to fire up the other i7 box and swap the Quadro's for GTS 250's and perhaps get another 20K just to make it a battle....I think you had more to go :?

The garage PC has 4 GTS 250's (thanks for the board folding team!), but it's been too warm to fire it up out there, so it can surely donate some parts. If you wanna go, I'll try...but...well, we'll see. I know me, I'll fail on getting stuff done at home, but may find that umph to make it a good one.

(or, and I tried the Xeons at work, and it's all manual. It's off the internet, so it doesn't even start even if I give it a work package from another computer and copy all that over. I gotta run a LAN over just to start 'em all up, run it 12 hours then quit, and still feeling them out. Since I'm in with the plan here, it looks like I can make 8K ppd per CPU and there's 8 in the rack. If all goes well, I'll make a separate account for those and 11108 can have another 24/7 farm. The 290 Quadro cards suck though, 800 a day...maybe. I'll probably be donating those things out by the end of the summer.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:28 pm 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

Just about passed Gordon. Sorry G!
At this time, we just can't keep up with you Chumly.
Congrats dude!
Didja get your elec fixed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:52 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Oh hell no; too busy with work that pays than the work at home. The GF called at 10am one day and said the lights came on and off, she shut the breaker off, and that's still where we're at. We agree that we don't need lights in the bedroom because I'm an ugly piece of work and we have our tent's LED lantern in the bathroom that works out for now.

You must have studied Sun Tzu, because you have enough to pull ahead yet make me drop my guard...you rabbit you. I do get my hopes up when I get a 38K spike, but then become a dumbass and leave GPU folders paused and ruin it for a bit. One day I'm a leg up on "Points today", the next you're up. I bet if I turn my head, I'm whooped.

Weather's been ultimate here too BTW. It's almost the end of July and I think we've had one week that crossed the 80's thus far. That's about to change, but the daily ordeal has been overcast in the 70's 'til 1300, and then the sun pokes it's head out for about 2 hours...then the cast comes back and it's a cool BBQ night. If I were to rock, it'd be now...and it ain't happening. Duty calls.

I am packed up with work though, so if you got something...my head is not turned but unable to respond. Instead of posting drivel in the forums I should really stab the 260 and 470 in some slot and get with it you'd think. But I want to sit on my ass a bit and enjoy the view.

But what a waste...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:56 pm 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

I'll take that GPU :lol: :D

Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:38 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

It's in. Now the one that it replaced, won't boot. Since there's no Saturday morning cartoons, I'll work on that box.

Oddly enough, the 260's and the 250's score pretty close. The 275 is in, is continuing a former WU, yet more cards are idle. I'm missing 200 a day, what the hey....figure it out Chum!

(Her computer's been vexing me for a while too though. It just never made sense)

Post subject: Re: :P <GRR> Chumly <GRR> ;)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:50 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

DD, you need to wake up to make this fun. I shut down a non-combatant i7 for another single box that seems to be doing the trick. My average won't show it for a while, but I'm watch'n 3.7-to 4.2K per day depending on what bonuses are actually worth (just a prediction with HFM.net). I'm out running you by a messily 3K ppd though on the stats page though...with one box.

Trying to keep this gauntlet alive, and doing well at this point in time..no matter my power situation. You power up now, I think you've got some votes for Folder of the month! August has been fair with me, but I don't care about power bills and I'm biased (it's like 78F right now). Rock on dude. Power them other fuckers up, let me see your pair of aces...and I might react.

I've got a funny screen shot on FB the [PC] have already discussed. Ever seen a 17 core machine? Me neither...but task manager sure does seem to think it exists. /Vroom Vroom...run it now or don't!Image
Avg, Today, and week. I like today for the last couple days. The average will eventually overcome and put ya back in the review mirror.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:24 pm 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

Your current production is off one PC? Very impressive but...

Since the first post (07-04-10):
----------------------------dd-----------------------Chum---------
07-04-10---------------240,264------------------125,834
07-11-10------------------0-----------------------148,846
07-18-10---------------132,477------------------174,142
07-25-10---------------207,493------------------144,115
08-01-10---------------260,847------------------108,996
08-08-10*--------------184,330------------------158,096
TTLs------------------1,025,411---------------860,029
*week still in progress

Huh? Looks like I've bumped and rubbed your fender and you're on the outside lane of the track now.
You beat me to Gordon when I was camping and now I'm pressing hard to keep you in the rear view.
Huh? What was that? The bug that I just hit is taking up more real estate on my windshield than you are in my mirror.

I could go harder and kick the kiddies off the PCs for a few days.
I can go 45-50K PPD if I keep them off of them.
My main SMPer keeps getting interrupted to do other things.
Nope. Kids are happy. Proteins are splitting and you're sliding up the track closer and closer to the wall.
So YES!
Put them new slicks on and show me how it's done.
I have no i7 and I'd just love to see you try to take the checker flag at 10,000,000.
After 10M I'm gunna slow a bit 'till the weather breaks and then back at full throttle as the air cools in the fall.

BRING IT!!!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:28 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

ddforrester wrote:
As for half the circuit(s) check to make sure that the wires are actually
connected to the receptacles by the screws and not just pushed into the
backs.

I'll second that. one of those "push in" wires damn near burned down my house.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:35 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Duh, I had no power. I'm suppose to fold proteins by hand?

I'll stay on one box until you seem scary enough to do something else. I had to reboot and lost four WU's, but I'm still a couple hundred behind for this day? Pa-freak'n sha...I AM impressive. And I'm all in one box. You farming your work out? I think so. Should I call in all my folders and plug in other boxes....or is this you and I? Your buddies folding under your name just don't seem right for gauntlets.

Just to underline it...this IS one box. I still have a house to use, but they have their own names. 180K more in home, and then boxes that aren't mine are triple that. Be honest...how many are folding under your name for the gauntlets? I've got my dukes up...and you're bringing in friends dude. It's all fun, but have some pride man ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:55 am 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

I'm aware about the power situation as you briefed the day after it happened.
My comments weren't intended to tick you off just to encourage a bit more folding on your end is all. :oops:
Seriously, 30K+ PPD on one box is stellar! Our biggest single box can only muster 22K.
Chumly wrote:
Farming your work out? I think so...

Seriously? I wouldn't play like that.
Here's a short video to clear things up:
http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/nn20 ... urHDWR.mp4
Here's my post of our hardware from back in May '09 (it has grown a bit since then tho):
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=71805&start=60
Here's a screen shot of my current HFM stats:
See in the completed WU columns? All the GPU's are set to fold non-stop.
For the SMPs I use the -oneunit flag to allow the CPUs a break in between WUs so i can use the PC without affecting the bonus for a given WU.
That's why there are 10-15K fluctuations in our output. Some days I turn all the SMPs on before I go to work and so days I just run GPU folding.

Hopefully this clears up any thoughts you have about us farming out WU to friends or the like. It's... just... us...

It is all fun. I hope that anything other than fun that might have been portrayed in my previous posts have been cleared up.
Just wanted to race you a bit since you seemed to have a similar PPD output and I was slipping a bit back in June/beg of July.
Just sux you had elec problems. I know your output could be more. Get it fixed already would you? :P

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:38 pm 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

Why must you two threaten to pass me?