Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Are you statisified with Newegg's packaging?
Yes 90%  90%  [ 18 ]
No; Needs improvement 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 20
 Post subject: Newegg shipping concerns
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:35 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I ordered my 1st product from Newegg, a DVD burner and it wasn't in Antistatic bag. Now I may buy things like ram, or videocards which are more likely to suffer static damage so this first buy was troubling. Looking around in Newegg reviews, I think some people got equipment that may have been damaged by static. What are your opinions on newegg packaging.

Is there something I should be looking for to get the best purchase? Do name-brand products have better packaging?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:36 pm 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

I get HDD's in antistatic bags from them. Sensitive components usually have their own antistatic bags in their individual packaging.

Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:43 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

The case of the optical drive is it's antistatic bag. An Antistatic bag is only antistatic because it's metal clad and conductive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:03 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Maybe it's a problem with lower end components? I seen some of these complaints for items such as cheap (under $50) video cards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:09 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Basically everything I have ordered from Newegg came well packaged. If anything had "exposed" circuit board/components then it was in anti-static wrappers. I did get an internal opti drive that was not in anti-static wrapper. But I don't believe it was an issue since it was a fully enclosed drive, barring the sockets on the back.

Keep in mind also that Newegg will usually ship an item in the same packaging that the OEM sent it to them in. Amazon and everyone else that I have done business with seems to do the same thing. Who better to determine what protection a component needs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:13 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I think it's the newegg crowd more than anything. Their purchase decisions suck, but aren't afraid to rail with a review for it. Too many reviews have no input, or based on little knowledge . I think I'm smart and still put my knowledge of the item at "somewhat". The guy that swings that knowledge over to "high" is a closed reviewer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:44 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Yeah especially when some one that has the part "all of 1 day to 1week" and pronounces it the greatest thing since sliced bread. Or as pointed out rails about the absolute shoddy workmanship/quality control after only having it less than a week. That's not even enough time to go thru the trouble shooting or the rma process.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:18 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Oddly enough, I've purchased several DVD burners locally from computer stores....the majority of the OEM style drives simply come in a plastic wrapper, doesn't hurt em, heck I've had optical drives sitting completely exposed no bag no nothing for years, then have to grab an old drive to use an old disc and they work no problems, optical drives are touigher than say a HDD or stick of RAM static wise, everything inside is isolated from the casing by plastic, it's all good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:52 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

They used to send me my stuff with this craptastic crumpled paper padding, and they would use a single 1'x5' piece of it. Every stinking time the product box would be crushed, I'm lucky the product itself was never damaged on arrival. At any rate, I always responded poorly to their surveys on their "new eco friendly packaging." Now I always get my stuff in a generous layer of foam popcorn padding.

Post subject: Re: Newegg shipping concerns
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:31 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

phillyj wrote:
I ordered my 1st product from Newegg, a DVD burner and it wasn't in Antistatic bag. Now I may buy things like ram, or videocards which are more likely to suffer static damage so this first buy was troubling. Looking around in Newegg reviews, I think some people got equipment that may have been damaged by static. What are your opinions on newegg packaging.

Is there something I should be looking for to get the best purchase? Do name-brand products have better packaging?

A DVD burner doesn't need and wouldn't benefit from an antistatic bag.

I've been very pleased with the packaging of all of the items I've received from both Newegg and Newegg.ca.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:20 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I've always had concerns about Newegg shipping. I could never understand how they figured shipping, especially when you ordered multiple items that they ship in the same box anyway. Now they are also advertising free shipping on items, but limits the free shipping to one item, while rest of the items are charged.

I will also say since they made UPS their primary carrier...

As Junkyard Willy would say..."Should've sent it with FedEx!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:48 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

You have concerns with their costs but this thread has been about their packaging. At least the cost is something you see upfront .. you can decide to shop elsewhere if the shipping is too high. You don't get to see how the items are packed until they arrive on your doorstep.

Thankfully, as others have noted, Newegg generally does a great job in this respect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:13 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

I have always been very pleased with Neweggs packaging. I have never had anything arrived damaged from them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:08 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

My only complaint with neweggs shipping is that you have to pay to return defective stuff, but since they approved every return i've ever had to do with them in less than 24 hours i guess it evens out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:16 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

i like their packaging. i have not actually ordered anything that requires the anti-static bags, but they like to over package things that don't even need to be. For instance, i got a free thumbUSB drive by OCZ with my purchase of a power supply. it came in the cut-up-your-fingers plastic packaging, but they also put it in a separate box full of packaging peanuts.

as a collector of packaging peanuts, i have about a 10 gallon trashbag full of them in my closet right now, and am happy with their packaging methods.