Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Windows 7 Slow to Load Large Folders
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 3:18 am 

Why is Win 7 so slow at loading and working with large folders?? All I've found to correct this is to optimize folders for documents, it didn't help very much.

I switched over from XP two weeks ago and had no problem with the same exact folders in XP. I am opening and closing these folders, moving files and deleting things. Win7 sucks at this. Wasn't Vista enough of a fuckup for MS to solve these backwards problems?

Anyway is there a solution for this??

Here's what happens, I open a folder it takes a few seconds for the grey bar to go across, I open a sub folder(grey bar) cut a few files click the back button, again the grey bar, I open a different folder (grey bar) and paste the files, I click back (grey bar) right click and delete a folder another grey bar etc. This only happens with the larger folders, but they are not all that large as I said XP had no problem with them.

I won't be able to use win7 if this can't be fixed, please let me know what this is all about. Also I could punch an MS developer for not giving me the option to add a DELETE BUTTON TO THE TOOLBAR!!!!

Gigabyte board
Phenom II X3 720
4GB Ram
WD 1 TB hard drive
64Bit Win7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:48 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

Could indexing be involved?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:03 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I haven't seen any opf the symptoms you describe. Just for kicks, I opened ther C drive and navigated down thru the program folders to my steam folder and it was virtually instantaneous all the way to and including opening each and every game folder. (My Steam Apps folder is 75 gig's, I think that qualifies as a large folder).

I would have to say that there may be something you're doing wrong or a problem with your system/OS installation.

Here is a thought, you are not trying to use a WD Caviar "Green" series drive for your system drive are you? "eco-friendly" drives are not intended as OS drives they are slow because they are variable speed and incorporate many power saving and noise reduction schemes. Like virtually shutting down between tasks, and throttling head movment speeds and parking the heads to reduce noise.

Granted I am running an Intel i7 920 based rig. But there still should not be that big a difference for opening files and folders.

Post subject: Re: Windows 7 Slow to Load Large Folders
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:54 pm 

I realise this thread is a few months old, but since people will still be browsing in here from google when they encounter the same problem (myself included) I thought I'd post some more info.

I had exactly the same problem (slow loading time) for a particular folder (which also happened to be very large) however the normal suggestions promoted on the web did not seem to help.
FYI: the normal solution is to change the folder optimisation to "Document" or "General" (Right Click Folder > Properties > Customise > Optimise folder for "Documents")

However I have found an alternate solution which fixed my problem.
Try looking in the folder to see if there is an old shortcut which points to a folder that no longer exists.

It seems that sometimes when a folder contains a shortcut to an invalid path, it may take 5-10 seconds for the folder (containing the shortcut) to open.
However, if you delete the shortcut, the speed is again instantaneous, even for folders > 20GB.

Otherwise, try a systematic approach. Try cutting files/folders a few at a time out of your problematic directory until the speed is back to normal, then once you've found the file/folder/shortcut responsible for slowing down the load time, put everything else back into the folder.

Windows should have NO PROBLEM navigating through very large folders with instantaneous speed. If it's taking that long to load a folder, there is something unique to your circumstance that is causing the problem because even large folders should not be slow.

Hope this helps.
Patrick

Post subject: Re: Windows 7 Slow to Load Large Folders
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:16 am 

After a time I started having the same problem of folders loading slower and slower to where it was impossible to even try to view anything in the folders, I did a lot to try and figure this out and I think I did as my folders now loads fast as they should and everyone might pass this fix along, in the Control Panel under Folder Options and in the View tab I unchecked some stuff in there and it works great.