Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: JAG leaves Oracle/SUN
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:39 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

I've been updating some of my bookmarks and finally starting to setup an RSS reader/feeds. [insert CrashTech joke here -- "Gadget waited until RSS was over 10 years old until..."].

Anyways, I used to read James Gosling's blog pretty regularly a few years back. Today, I noticed that he has "resigned" from Oracle/SUN. The entry simply states that "Just about anything I could say that would be accurate and honest would do more harm than good". It makes you wonder what is going on with the new company. If you ran a software company, what would you do to keep someone with JAG's credentials on board? Apparently, he is planning on taking a break before hunting for a new job.

Should we start a pool to see where he ends up? =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 4:21 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Srsly dude, I am on RSS 2.0 :)

Also, it doesn't mean that SUN/Oracle is doing anything bad. It could be any of several things, especially when you get people that smart in a room together. Bad things happen.

He was probably just being classy by saying something without saying anything.

Post subject: Re: JAG leaves Oracle/SUN
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:00 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Gadget wrote:
Anyways, I used to read James Gosling's blog pretty regularly a few years back. Today, I noticed that he has "resigned" from Oracle/SUN. The entry simply states that "Just about anything I could say that would be accurate and honest would do more harm than good". It makes you wonder what is going on with the new company. If you ran a software company, what would you do to keep someone with JAG's credentials on board? Apparently, he is planning on taking a break before hunting for a new job.

Wow! Maybe M$ will scoop him up, have him work on .NET. :P Maybe Google? Maybe he could go work for Apple and clean up Objective-C a bit. :P

Either way, that's a HUGE loss for Oracle. We'll see what happens to Java at this point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:40 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

CrashTECH wrote:
He was probably just being classy by saying something without saying anything.

In a previous post, JAG made a comment about Oracle making drastic cuts in salaries. I made not sure if Sun paid well or Oracle is just cheap though (or both). Apparently, quite a few of Sun's engineers have elected to work elsewhere, and he feels that quite a few might even create companies of their own. Could be interesting...

DJSPIN80 wrote:
Wow! Maybe M$ will scoop him up, have him work on .NET. :P Maybe Google? Maybe he could go work for Apple and clean up Objective-C a bit. :P

1) I doubt that he will end up at MS given his involvement in the Java .NET case/war, but you never know. It is a slim chance, but he might show up at MS research.
2) I could definitely see him working for Google. A few prominent Java guys are already there, and given the number of people who worked at Sun then headed over to Google, he has probably worked with quite a few of their top guys.
3) Apple could be a really interesting option. I thought Gosling working at Apple for a split second previously (then chuckled and said "nah"). I have the strong impression that Gosling is nuts and bolts compsci guy. For example, he consideres the JVM, not the Java language, to be the important feature of Java. What if Apple created an Objective-C virtual machine to hook more people on their apps?

[note: I'm assuming that an Obj-C VM doesn't already exist... I know GCC supports Obj-C, but I'm not sure to what extent.]

If Apple placed Objective-C and their tools (which I understand are incredibly good) in a position to compete with Java, .NET and C++, they could win over A LOT of developers and move even more people over to their platform. There are a lot of possibilities to consider...

I would love to see Objective-C take over C++. =)

DJSPIN80 wrote:
Either way, that's a HUGE loss for Oracle. We'll see what happens to Java at this point.

For the next few years, Java will be fine. There is still a huge demand for the language and the Java Community Process should keep things together. Long term, it will be interesting to see how Oracle decides to support Java. For example, are they going to develop and improve the virtual machine on all the platforms that Sun currently supports? I could see Oracle/Sun stopping support for Mac and Linux which would leave the whole platform in basically the same position that .NET currently is in terms of cross-platform desktop support.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:02 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

I am actually a little concerned about things like Open Office, MySQL, and Java now that Oracle has it's fingers in the pie.

Oracle now charges $90 per user, sold in bundles of 100, for the ODF plugin for use with Microsoft Office. Hmmm? I don't want to go all tinfoil-hat just yet, however, this warrants a close eye.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:27 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Quote:
3) Apple could be a really interesting option. I thought Gosling working at Apple for a split second previously (then chuckled and said "nah"). I have the strong impression that Gosling is nuts and bolts compsci guy. For example, he consideres the JVM, not the Java language, to be the important feature of Java. What if Apple created an Objective-C virtual machine to hook more people on their apps?

I can understand why the JVM, not the language, is more important. .NET is treated much the same way. The engineers put much of their time and effort into the framework - the DLR, LINQ...the language is built around the framework. Now, for Gosling to go Apple would indeed be interesting. Objective-C really doesn't have a VM per se, if so, it's pretty rudimentary. Think of Obj-C as a thinly veiled wrap around C. It would, however, benefit from a VM considering how Java is integrated into the OS X kernel. they could stand to replace that with an Obj-C runtime that utilizes a true managed environment.

Quote:
For the next few years, Java will be fine. There is still a huge demand for the language and the Java Community Process should keep things together. Long term, it will be interesting to see how Oracle decides to support Java. For example, are they going to develop and improve the virtual machine on all the platforms that Sun currently supports? I could see Oracle/Sun stopping support for Mac and Linux which would leave the whole platform in basically the same position that .NET currently is in terms of cross-platform desktop support.

Regardless, right now, Java's future is on shaky grounds. Considering that the number of people that aren't exactly fans of Oracle. They've already taken over Open Office and MySQL. It'll be intersting indeed, we'll see. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:02 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Lodis4 wrote:
I am actually a little concerned about things like Open Office, MySQL, and Java now that Oracle has it's fingers in the pie.

Hopefully if it starts getting too bleak someone will fork the project(s). That was actually the best thing to ever happen to X11. MySQL might have a dim future since there are viable alternatives, but I can't see RedHat, Novell and company standing by while ooo and java get run into the ground.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:38 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

Java should be fine. People aren't going to stop using it just because Oracle has a bad reputation. About the worse thing Oracle could do to Java would be to stop developing JVMs or charging for them, and while quite a few of you might not remember it, there was a time when the best JVMs weren't exclusively made by Sun. This might cause a short-term bump, but the language will survive. Cobol and Fortran are still around after all.

MySQL, Derby and Posgres could be in trouble. Personally, I never liked the MySQL filesystem (that pretends to be a database) very much. If Sybase was smart, they'd be making a big stink right now. There database is much better than MySQL... I'd hate to see Posgres go away.

I don't really have much use for MS Office or OO.