Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Need Help With My Fan LEDs
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:32 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Posts: 63
I have an Antec 900 with the standard 2 front 120mm fans in the front. Tey are powered by a single 4 pin molex each. They also have blue led's that are very annoying when I'm trying to watch a movie in the dark, or playing games or something. However, I do not want to replace the fans. Is there a way to have an external switch to turn the lights on and off? I think I saw it before on this forum, someone had put a switch on their Alienware case, for the same reasons I want to. I can't find the pic :-/


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:41 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:38 am
Posts: 7690
Yes but its quite difficult. Beforehand, you need to know what voltage the LEDs run at, and unfortunately it is rarely the 12 or 5V that a molex power supply can provide. You need to disconnect the LEDs from the fan by way of cutting those thin little wires that run from the fan's power board to the LEDs. After that you need to add a resistor that reduces voltage to the correct value for the LEDs to work, and then solder those four wires up to a switch and solder a female molex connector to the switch. It's not for the faint of heart.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:29 am 
8086
8086

Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:38 am
Posts: 71
like sparticus said, sometimes the power for the fan which goes into the motherboard goes through the same connection as the LED, but sometimes they have a different connection, fan's and LEDs will sometimes have 2 separated single copper connectors (tiny little box looking connectors that you put over the proper motherboard corresponding connections. I am not sure about the Antech 900, but its possible you can unplug the LED connection from the motherboard but not the fan power, or if they are in a box format (2 connection boxes connected together in a single plastic box), you can cut them apart and not plug in the LED).

Alternative to both of these methods, (which I don't recommend), is 1. Cut any wires leading to the LED itself (assuming the wire does not go to the LED directly and lead past the LED into the fan's electromagnets. 2. Destroy the LED light itself, 3. Paint over the LED Light (sometimes duct tape is really the solution).

Or if the wires are isolated you can expose some wire, cut the LED power wired and use electrical tape over the exposed wires.

Last methods are obviously crude but they can work.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:10 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Posts: 63
ajax344 wrote:
like sparticus said, sometimes the power for the fan which goes into the motherboard goes through the same connection as the LED, but sometimes they have a different connection, fan's and LEDs will sometimes have 2 separated single copper connectors (tiny little box looking connectors that you put over the proper motherboard corresponding connections. I am not sure about the Antech 900, but its possible you can unplug the LED connection from the motherboard but not the fan power, or if they are in a box format (2 connection boxes connected together in a single plastic box), you can cut them apart and not plug in the LED).

Alternative to both of these methods, (which I don't recommend), is 1. Cut any wires leading to the LED itself (assuming the wire does not go to the LED directly and lead past the LED into the fan's electromagnets. 2. Destroy the LED light itself, 3. Paint over the LED Light (sometimes duct tape is really the solution).

Or if the wires are isolated you can expose some wire, cut the LED power wired and use electrical tape over the exposed wires.

Last methods are obviously crude but they can work.


the fan and led's don't connect to the motherboard.
Image
Image
Sorry about the LQ. It's my crappy 1.3 megapixel phone camera


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:37 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:08 pm
Posts: 1514
Location: Alberta, Canada
I wouldnt mind doing this too when im sleeping haha. Sounds a bit tricky though but i might have to give it a shot when I have time to mess around.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:11 pm 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:22 pm
Posts: 8720
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
If you or anyone else is looking to do this, it isn't that difficult with most fans. Generally all LED fans are about the same animal. So lets look at one with LEDs:

Image

Typical LED fan. Notice how the power wires exit the fan body and run up a leg to exit the fan. Now we will gently lift the wires in the next image:

Image

Note the red and black wires under the power wires. These wires are the power for the LEDs that are on a sort of foil strip (also plastic) that wrap around the fan. Actually that strip is a flexible circuit board in a sense. Let's look closer at things:

Image

Note how the red and black lines are soldered to the foil. The LEDs are connected to that foil strip. Let's get closer:

Image

Now if you are good with fine soldering you would remove the red wire and place a simple single pole single throw switch in series with the red wire. However if you suck at soldering then just cut the red wire and place your switch lines in series with the red wire. Place the switch wherever you choose. Maybe in the plastic cover of an empty drive bay?

Wish I would have seen this thread sooner but was on vacation. :)

Ron


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:57 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Posts: 63
Thank you Reloadron that was very helpful. :D


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:52 am 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:22 pm
Posts: 8720
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Your Welcome and if you have any problems let me know.

Ron


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:21 am 
8086
8086
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:13 am
Posts: 30
Reloadron wrote:
Your Welcome and if you have any problems let me know.

Ron


He never replied back, he probably electrocuted himself! :shock:


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:46 pm 
Team Member*
Team Member*
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:22 pm
Posts: 1982
Location: FL
pcnutcase wrote:
Reloadron wrote:
Your Welcome and if you have any problems let me know.

Ron


He never replied back, he probably electrocuted himself! :shock:

:shock: wow did that even need to be said or did this thread need your comment?
one word --NO--
If you have something intelligent to add please do.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Need Help With My Fan LEDs
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:55 pm 
8086
8086
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:13 am
Posts: 30
sorry, i was bored


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Need Help With My Fan LEDs
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:04 am 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:22 pm
Posts: 8720
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
People this thread is old, so lets let it die.

Thanks
Ron


Top
  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

© 2014 Future US, Inc. All rights reserved.