Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need Help With My Fan LEDs
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:32 pm 

I have an Antec 900 with the standard 2 front 120mm fans in the front. Tey are powered by a single 4 pin molex each. They also have blue led's that are very annoying when I'm trying to watch a movie in the dark, or playing games or something. However, I do not want to replace the fans. Is there a way to have an external switch to turn the lights on and off? I think I saw it before on this forum, someone had put a switch on their Alienware case, for the same reasons I want to. I can't find the pic :-/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:41 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

Yes but its quite difficult. Beforehand, you need to know what voltage the LEDs run at, and unfortunately it is rarely the 12 or 5V that a molex power supply can provide. You need to disconnect the LEDs from the fan by way of cutting those thin little wires that run from the fan's power board to the LEDs. After that you need to add a resistor that reduces voltage to the correct value for the LEDs to work, and then solder those four wires up to a switch and solder a female molex connector to the switch. It's not for the faint of heart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:29 am 

like sparticus said, sometimes the power for the fan which goes into the motherboard goes through the same connection as the LED, but sometimes they have a different connection, fan's and LEDs will sometimes have 2 separated single copper connectors (tiny little box looking connectors that you put over the proper motherboard corresponding connections. I am not sure about the Antech 900, but its possible you can unplug the LED connection from the motherboard but not the fan power, or if they are in a box format (2 connection boxes connected together in a single plastic box), you can cut them apart and not plug in the LED).

Alternative to both of these methods, (which I don't recommend), is 1. Cut any wires leading to the LED itself (assuming the wire does not go to the LED directly and lead past the LED into the fan's electromagnets. 2. Destroy the LED light itself, 3. Paint over the LED Light (sometimes duct tape is really the solution).

Or if the wires are isolated you can expose some wire, cut the LED power wired and use electrical tape over the exposed wires.

Last methods are obviously crude but they can work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:10 pm 

ajax344 wrote:
like sparticus said, sometimes the power for the fan which goes into the motherboard goes through the same connection as the LED, but sometimes they have a different connection, fan's and LEDs will sometimes have 2 separated single copper connectors (tiny little box looking connectors that you put over the proper motherboard corresponding connections. I am not sure about the Antech 900, but its possible you can unplug the LED connection from the motherboard but not the fan power, or if they are in a box format (2 connection boxes connected together in a single plastic box), you can cut them apart and not plug in the LED).

Alternative to both of these methods, (which I don't recommend), is 1. Cut any wires leading to the LED itself (assuming the wire does not go to the LED directly and lead past the LED into the fan's electromagnets. 2. Destroy the LED light itself, 3. Paint over the LED Light (sometimes duct tape is really the solution).

Or if the wires are isolated you can expose some wire, cut the LED power wired and use electrical tape over the exposed wires.

Last methods are obviously crude but they can work.

the fan and led's don't connect to the motherboard.
Sorry about the LQ. It's my crappy 1.3 megapixel phone camera

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:37 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

I wouldnt mind doing this too when im sleeping haha. Sounds a bit tricky though but i might have to give it a shot when I have time to mess around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:11 pm 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

If you or anyone else is looking to do this, it isn't that difficult with most fans. Generally all LED fans are about the same animal. So lets look at one with LEDs:

Typical LED fan. Notice how the power wires exit the fan body and run up a leg to exit the fan. Now we will gently lift the wires in the next image:

Note the red and black wires under the power wires. These wires are the power for the LEDs that are on a sort of foil strip (also plastic) that wrap around the fan. Actually that strip is a flexible circuit board in a sense. Let's look closer at things:

Note how the red and black lines are soldered to the foil. The LEDs are connected to that foil strip. Let's get closer:

Now if you are good with fine soldering you would remove the red wire and place a simple single pole single throw switch in series with the red wire. However if you suck at soldering then just cut the red wire and place your switch lines in series with the red wire. Place the switch wherever you choose. Maybe in the plastic cover of an empty drive bay?

Wish I would have seen this thread sooner but was on vacation. :)

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:57 pm 

Thank you Reloadron that was very helpful. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:52 am 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

Your Welcome and if you have any problems let me know.

Ron

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:21 am 

Reloadron wrote:

Ron

He never replied back, he probably electrocuted himself! :shock:

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:46 pm 
Team Member*
Team Member*

pcnutcase wrote:
Reloadron wrote:

Ron

He never replied back, he probably electrocuted himself! :shock:

:shock: wow did that even need to be said or did this thread need your comment?
one word --NO--
If you have something intelligent to add please do.

Post subject: Re: Need Help With My Fan LEDs
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:55 pm 

sorry, i was bored

Post subject: Re: Need Help With My Fan LEDs
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:04 am 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

People this thread is old, so lets let it die.

Thanks
Ron