Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Putting certification on Resume
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:56 pm 

I just got my first certification and it is the 70-270, I am going towards my MCSE but was wondering how I should put this on my resume. Should I just put 70-270, MCP, not real sure.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:34 am 

As someone who has done some hiring for technical roles I would suggest listing that you are a MCP and list the exam number and title. Keep it simple with what certs you actually have. I have seen resumes that say things like MCSE (projected completion date xx/xx/xxxx) when in reality they don't have any certs. To me I thought that was a little misleading and definitely confusing to say the least. Even though the MCP is not your ultimate goal it still is a Microsoft certification and will help separate you from the crowd, albeit not as much as the MCSE will. Remember though, experience is king. Make sure you list out IT admin things that you have done in school, previous jobs or at any internships. Even if they were not that big of a deal to you it helps show that you have practical experience performing the duties of the job and you're not just a paper MCSE.

The best advice I can give is try not to embellish to much on your resume. Alot of technical interviews will have technical peers involved and they will eat you up if you you go in there saying you know more then you actually do. Lack of experience is nothing to be ashamed of, we all start out as newbies so emphasize your passion for the job and your desire to further your knowledge. Alot of times managers will hire someone that they think has the ability to be trained and pick up the knowledge along the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:28 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

noblesavage wrote:
As someone who has done some hiring for technical roles I would suggest listing that you are a MCP and list the exam number and title.
That makes the most sense IMO. You can see that we're certified and know exactly what tests we have passed. There's a ton of paths and possibilities. How does this look?

Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure Certification (70-293)
Managing and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Environment Certification (70-290)
Installing, Configuring, and Administering Windows XP Professional Certification (70-270)
Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP)

I would probably remove the "All required" 70-290 - 70-294 exams after I obtained the MCSE certification. Definitely don't want to put MCSE until we have it. That's just crazy!

Post subject: Re: Putting certification on Resume
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:43 am 

jmorgan75149 wrote:
I just got my first certification and it is the 70-270, I am going towards my MCSE but was wondering how I should put this on my resume. Should I just put 70-270, MCP, not real sure.
Thanks

hey offcourse u should put it on ur resume!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:21 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

I would just list "Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP)". I wouldn't list the other course numbers as they don't really mean anything to most HR people. If you need filler for your resume I guess you could list them then. I would focus on getting your MCSA first. Then you can list both MCP and MCSA. Then I would maybe think about putting in the MCSE completion on x/x/xx. But with just having your MCP you are to far away from being able to list MCSE on a resume.

Like another poster said focus on the things you have done and that you are a quick study.

Post subject: MCSE, MCSA?? Useless!!!
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:44 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

MCSE, MCSA?? Useless!!! What YOU should be working on is your MCTS (70 - 680). Also go check at www.microsoft.com to see what other certifications that are REALLY useful. Also remember a A+ certification is like having GOLD in your hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:04 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

God that was a good laugh. MCSE a useless cert and to take a entry level cert on windows 7. You where joking right? You have to be with A+ is gold.

Post subject: Re: MCSE, MCSA?? Useless!!!
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:45 am 

Mike_Holli wrote:
Also remember a A+ certification is like having GOLD in your hand.

Lay off the crack dude!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:03 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

HEY!!! I thought it was funny!!!!!!

jlh304 wrote:
God that was a good laugh. MCSE a useless cert and to take a entry level cert on windows 7. You where joking right? You have to be with A+ is gold.

Post subject: Re: MCSE, MCSA?? Useless!!!
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:05 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Phosphorous wrote:
Mike_Holli wrote:
Also remember a A+ certification is like having GOLD in your hand.

Lay off the crack dude!

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh I have people believing me, and PAYING money to get it!!!! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:44 pm 

There's a time and a place to be a dick and this isn't it. People are actually coming here for genuine help. You wanna jerk off, head down to the Break Room.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:44 am 

Quote:
How does this look?

Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure Certification (70-293)
Managing and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Environment Certification (70-290)
Installing, Configuring, and Administering Windows XP Professional Certification (70-270)
Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP)

I would probably remove the "All required" 70-290 - 70-294 exams after I obtained the MCSE certification. Definitely don't want to put MCSE until we have it. That's just crazy!

This is exactly how I would recommend doing it (and how my resume is formatted). List out the individual tests and once you hit the overall cert (MCSE or MCSA) just list that and remove the individual certs. True most HR folks wont know the exams individually but once they pass your resume to the hiring manager (who is hopefully alittle technical) he will be able to see what you are certified in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:02 pm 

I have to agree with noblesavage and jlh304 on keeping it simple and straightforward. Any HR person worth their salt can tell when you're trying to pad a resume. If anywhere I'd put the fact that you're pursuing your MCSE on your cover letter, in order to demonstrate your continuing commitment to IT education.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:29 am 

Just FYI the aformentioned MCTS - Windows 7 is ^%@#$ hard. Figured it would be nice flair to include as an elective on the way to MCSA, but noooo. Read the book, not even going to try the test. Unless you like memorizing command prompt syntax (I mean come on, in the real world I can just /? and get everything I need to know about the command), don't take that test.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:45 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

VSClax wrote:
Just FYI the aformentioned MCTS - Windows 7 is ^%@#$ hard. Figured it would be nice flair to include as an elective on the way to MCSA, but noooo. Read the book, not even going to try the test. Unless you like memorizing command prompt syntax (I mean come on, in the real world I can just /? and get everything I need to know about the command), don't take that test.
The book is different than the exam. fuzz_64 found out the hard way. I passed the 70-680 a few months ago, on my way to the MCITP: Enterprise Administrator certification, and it wasn't that bad. M$ isn't trying to kill us with Windows PowerShell cmdlets or Command Prompt commands. Nobody can memorize all of this stuff. They give us 4 multiple guess answers to choose from and there's normally 2, sometimes 3, distractors that aren't even close. I don't understand why people are still paying for Vista and 2003 certs. 7 and 2008 seem like the way to go, but I guess something is better than nothing.