Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: University of Advancing Technology
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:21 am 

I see this school advertised in the mag every month, but wonder about its reputation. I sent off some paperwork to them to see what they had, and was eagerly greeted by an admissions counselor - saying that I had been accespted, and because of my test scores was eligible for the scholars grant for $2500 per semester...I have since considered them bogus because it seamed to easy.....anyone have any knowledge of these guys...

Oh...Im a n00b to the MaxPC forums....Hello to all[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:07 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Remember the art school tests on matchbook covers? Draw this cat and submit it to see if you have talent. I drew a rectangle instead of a cat and got accepted. Same thing. You could have purposely answered every question wrong and would have been accepted.
How you check the reputation of a tech school I don't know. Why don't you look at your local community college?

Post subject: figures...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:45 am 

Well, I saw some classes being offered that sparked my interest, I already have a 4 year degree from University of Texas (Go Horns !!) but thought computer forensics would be cool if I decide to go back..... local comm. colleges are a waste of money IMO - but thanks for your input - I did a google for the school and SCAMS, or problems - and couldnt find a single one, the cost was pretty high..about $30,000 a year for students that live on campus (in Tempe, AZ) - my father went to the school once to get a Carbon14 test on a WWI war bond that was supposedly worth $100,000,000 - which unfortunately made in the 90's LOL....

oh well - I liked the idea of being called a "scholar" :D

Post subject: Re: University of Advancing Technology
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:29 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

cwalker2734 wrote:
I see this school advertised in the mag every month, but wonder about its reputation. I sent off some paperwork to them to see what they had, and was eagerly greeted by an admissions counselor - saying that I had been accespted, and because of my test scores was eligible for the scholars grant for $2500 per semester...I have since considered them bogus because it seamed to easy.....anyone have any knowledge of these guys...

Oh...Im a n00b to the MaxPC forums....Hello to all

If the school is accredited, go for it. If they are not, you are wasting your time and money for nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:23 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I don't know if its the same one I received in the mail when I was applying for schools, but they said I could get a computer science degree in 28 months or something like that. I know some tech schools condense courses like that sometimes, but it seemed to good to be true. I think it was also in Arizona.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:51 am 

KOMMANDO wrote:
I don't know if its the same one I received in the mail when I was applying for schools, but they said I could get a computer science degree in 28 months or something like that. I know some tech schools condense courses like that sometimes, but it seemed to good to be true. I think it was also in Arizona.

Well, I think is a different setup - they arent offering Cisco, or A+ certs in 2 weeks, they offer 2 & 4 year degrees in things like AI, Computer Forensics, and Game Creation.....

Post subject: interesting
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:53 am 

I googled this school because I too was interested by the advertisments in Maximum PC. Actuallt how I ended up in this forum.

I found a lot of complaints about the online courses, which is what I would be interested. Already have a B.S. in Math. Not going to pick up and move for a second major.

The only major they offer that I haven't seen bashed is Net Sec.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:11 am 
Chief Surgeon
Chief Surgeon

Yo, this thread is 4 years old! Please don't dredge long-dead posts.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]