Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Cell phone question... don't hate... please?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:52 am 

Just wondering if anyone here has any numbers on how long the average cell phone user sticks with a provider before jumping ship... Just wondering as my continued (foolish?) loyalty to sprint may be coming to an end, but we'll see. Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:26 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I'm right there with ya. I like Sprint, but they're not getting the phones I want, so resigning into another 2 year contract is really up in the air. But do we dare jump ship for Verizon just for a phone?

Post subject: I guess...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:58 am 

I guess the reason I ask is this: If the average cell user stays with a carrier for, lets say 4 years, before going to another provider, then if you have been with your current for considerably longer, then I'm assuming you could parley that into some concessions from said provider, in order to keep your business.... problem is, since I don't know this figure, I have no idea if my 10 years of patronage is average, less then or well beyond the norm... if I knew, I'm certain I could use that info to my advantage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:52 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
i have been with sprint for that or longer, i can get a new phone free every year now. its just to bad they dont have very good phones available. but then, I want a phone, not a mini laptop, i dont text or surf on my phone, so my needs are simple.

Last edited by g.m.waters (red ranger3) on Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:53 am 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

Personally I say 10 years is a very good amount of leverage for you. I assume you paid the bills on time, another point to bring up. If presented properly you could walk away with whatever phone you want without paying a dime. Just out of random I asked the guys around here at work, 4 years was the average. One who was in double digits like yourself just resigned and got 2 blackberries, and 2 regular phones for free, just to stay with his company. (us cellular) I was with alltel for 3 years before big red took over. I was very happy with alltel and would have stayed with them for longer if the option was available. Since verizon has taken over it has been headache after headache. Bill is always incorrect (yeah they fix it with credits when you call, but it gets very annoying to have to call every month). Also the reception at our house where it used to be -60dbm is never under -90 now. :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:12 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I've been with sprint since 8 years, and they pretty much tell me to pound sand when looking for deals on my plan. They'll cut a minor deal with a new phone. They WILL work with me on doubling up my Everything plan to another phone for just $9mo and pretty much any non-PDA phone. To them, that's $240 added to their pockets, so it's more of a deal for them I guess.

Heard great things with Verizon support though, even for folks on their first contract. Very tempting. Sprint's done some shady stuff over the years where we've had to call in and complain. I think it was last year when they didn't treat the Unlimited plan as Unlimited and tagged us with overages for mail. I didn't pay it during the dispute, and by 4 months when it was cleared up it shown $248 before going back to paid in full. Pretty odd since I don't use mail for mail, and is the only way I can get/send texts on the HTC.

Post subject: Hmmmm...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:33 pm 

I'm with you Chumly, my wife and I had almost the same exact experience about 2 years ago, and I can't quite shake the feeling that no matter how long I am with them, they'll never give me a "good" deal. Service is OK, but just OK... why can't it be spectacular? Why should I settle? I was looking heavily at going with Verizon, but now I am hearing grief about the Alltell->Verizon switchover, and not just here but from one of my friends and my brother. Seems almost like, no matter who you choose to do business with, they're just waiting to bend you over the barrell and give it to ya.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:38 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Hmph...at least it's not AT&T :wink: Heard they're getting better though. Anyway, I've got great coverage up and down the coast with Sprint and hate to experiment with other carriers. I'm probably just going to stay with them, but it sure is tempted to switch. If I didn't travel, it'd be an easier decision to make.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:44 pm 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

I actually left after verizon took over alltel. Like I said above the coverage went to crap. I still had a year left on the contract so it was a huge fight with them to let me go. After numerous phone calls and them sending their van out to test coverage they deemed our area (I forget the term they used) but less than adequate signal coverage, they allowed us out of the contract. We chose sprint, their plans are awesome. However, their coverage was much worse unless we were in town, they sent us their air rave which worked as long as we were in the house, but to many dead spots on the way to work, and my wifes school. I wasn't at all impressed with sprints customer service either. On the 13th day verizon called me and said they had just increased the coverage in our area, and they would give us free phones of our choice, and grievance credits for a few months to make it worth our time to come back. So after a storm 2 and a tour here I am. :)

Post subject: Nice...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:47 pm 

That sure is a sweet deal. If I were to suggest same at my local sprint store, they'd tell me to f**k myself and beat it... nicely, of course. I guess I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and go with someone else... a bit more research first though :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:58 pm 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

Suppose it depends on where you live. Heck the walmart phones and plans are cost effectice! Just never did the research to see who the provider is for the service. I've always heard sprint focuses on city and major highways. The simply everything plan is a nice plan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:54 pm 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

Originally like forever ago we went with what I think was GTE and a 2 or 3 year contract. When the contract was up they offered all sorts of stuff for a new contract. We politely declined and then they offered a new phone without a contract. Cool with us. Then GTE became someone else who became someone else or whatever. We added another phone along the way.

Eventually we ended up as Verizon which was cool with me as my laptop has a 3G Verizon card and my company gets a hell of a good Verizon discount. My wife's TV station uses Verizon so all in all we ended up with 2 new Blackberry Storms free and no contract plus my companies discount. Verizon has worked out great for us for the buck.

I never see the bills as the wife takes care of all that stuff. All I care about is the shit works. :)

Sometimes you can get a good deal without a contract has been my experience.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:14 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Reloadron wrote:
Originally like forever ago we went with what I think was GTE
Wow...GTE. Haven't heard that name in a while. I think the big phone-in-a-bag thing my stepdad uses on the farm has "GTE" labeled on it. Kinda funny the first time I seen it. He told me to just call mom since the trucks were full, I start looking for a phone in the cab, and come to find out it was this big 1'x1' satchel with a corded Cell phone in it. I felt like I needed to hand crank it or something :D
stratejaket wrote:
Just never did the research to see who the provider is for the service. I've always heard sprint focuses on city and major highways. The simply everything plan is a nice plan.
I believe all those phones (Cricket is an example out here) just hop on any available carrier and then they sort out their own costs to do that.

Sprint also has a lower Everything Plan which I don't exceed. Weird name eh? Should be "almost everything plan". The most media I use is to check up on Speed or NFL Network on Sprint TV, or as a modem if the need arises. I don't browse the web on it, but Google Maps is a precious item. The traffic update is magical with how accurate it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:50 pm 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

I had a phone with the Boeing Company plan that started out with Sprint. It changed a couple of years later to AT&T. So my phone changed too.
The last place I was 'stationed' with Boeing, AT&T would work very well outside the building. Inside you had to walk around to find a hotspot.
Just before I retired and moved AT&T did something and you had coverage inside without having to walk around.
Where I moved to here in TN there is only one company with coverage. Verizon, and even that is marginal at the house. One bar, sometimes two.
So I'm kinda outta luck trying to leverage anything by threatening to go to another provider.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:53 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

For me it is all about coverage and service. I have been with the big V for as long as I can recall. I also have had T-Mobile for work for 4+ years and their coverage is horrid.I am not about to jump provides just for a phone, if that was the case I would have gone to AT&T as soon as the iPhone came out. What good is a good phone if you can't use it half the time.