Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Stupid problem
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:42 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

This is a general/vague question that I'm sure someone's encountered here before, in C++ if not in similar vein.

I have a string that needs to be exposed and editable, it's a cstring (<typedef> const char* name, to be exact) I'm posting here because all of my attempts have failed, but here's the twist: it has to stay as said cstring.

Should I make a pointer to a &name?

Post subject: Re: Stupid problem
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:35 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000*

Dwood15 wrote:
I have a string that needs to be exposed and editable, it's a cstring (<typedef> const char* name, to be exact).

Why do you need something that is a constant and editable? Can you not change the typedef because it is part of a shared object? Also, I don't have my Ansi-C manual handy but iirc a const pointer isn't the same thing as a normal constant. You need to check.

What do you mean by "exposed"?

BTW, creating a typedef called cstring is a bit dangerous. Most people consider a cstring to be a char[] in C. The point of using a typedef is to make the type definition more refined. For example, if I'm representing playing cards using an int value and a hand as an array of five ints, I would want to create Card and Hand typedefs. Creating a cstring typedef doesn't really do a whole lot especially when it isn't what most people consider to be a cstring.

Dwood15 wrote:
I'm posting here because all of my attempts have failed, but here's the twist: it has to stay as said cstring. Should I make a pointer to a &name?

Can you provide a snippet of the code? I'm having trouble imaging where things are going wrong. Is it when you call a function expecting a cstring? That doesn't seem likely. How about returning one? Why use one? etc.