Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Does 750W PSU consumes more power than lower wattage PSUs?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:54 am 

Sorry for my ignorance. This may be a stupid question but here it goes.

Does 750W PSU consumes more power than lower wattage PSUs (like 650, 550, 500)? Meaning, does this mean
high electricity bills and provided all pc components are the same to be used for the build?

Coz I was able to purchase Corsair HX750 in eBay for 82USD but I think my build wont reach the wattage of this PSU.

Thank you in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:30 am 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

straight and easy answer: yes.

Complicated answer: no.

No as in it may cost you later down the road if your psu fails from overload. Also, as you need more from your psu, the efficiency goes down. I've heard some places it's best to have double what your pc needs for maximum efficiency and reliability. Also, heat goes up as you use more % of your psu's maximum rating. so let's say at 50% of a 600W psu, the temps are reasonably low, just for time's sake, 30-40 degrees C. if you start gaming and require more juice to power your system, the need may jump to 70 or 80%, which in turn causes the heat levels to jump with it.

I'm not sure if PSUs only use as much power as is needed or what happens with that, but a higher-than-needed wattage psu is more of an insurance of longevity for your system.

I'm probably the not the most informed person on this, but i hope this helped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:35 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

The PSU will consume only as much power as it needs to run. Different PSUs perform better within different efficiency ranges. But generally speaking there isn't a large difference.

In your situation there shouldn't be a huge different between a 400 watt PSU, or a 800watt PSU. Assuming the same hardware and quality of the PSUs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:41 pm 
Million Club 5+ [PC]*
Million Club 5+ [PC]*

yes PSU's only use the power that your computer needs, high PSU's are only for rigs that actually need those high power requirements. but that is only because they are more expensive and you can be just as well off with cheaper unit.

but since you already have a large unit there is no downside to using it on a computer with lower requirements

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:02 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

It is also the same logic when you have high power amplification doesn't mean you be using high power consumption.

It also behaves like a reservoir whenever you needed more power, there's always a reserve standing by!

Cheers!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:14 am 

Power supply efficiency changes based on the percent load it is under and usually peaks at around 80% load. I higher rated power supply lightly loaded will use more electricity than one with a lower power rating at the same load.

Look at it as though each power supply requires some power to run before adding the power used by the other computer parts and a larger one will require more than a smaller one. This is by no means saying that the power used by the power supply is constant. It changes based on load but a larger power supply will for the most part use more power than a smaller one.

So if you don't plan on upgrading your system to the point of needing that much more power over sizing your power supply will be a waste of money up front and cost more in power bill in the long run.

That being said if you plan to overclock or add a video card in the future it pays to buy enough power supply for your future needs and always buy a quality power supply for long term reliability.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:42 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Keno5net wrote:
Power supply efficiency changes based on the percent load it is under and usually peaks at around 80% load. I higher rated power supply lightly loaded will use more electricity than one with a lower power rating at the same load.

Look at it as though each power supply requires some power to run before adding the power used by the other computer parts and a larger one will require more than a smaller one. This is by no means saying that the power used by the power supply is constant. It changes based on load but a larger power supply will for the most part use more power than a smaller one.

So if you don't plan on upgrading your system to the point of needing that much more power over sizing your power supply will be a waste of money up front and cost more in power bill in the long run.

That being said if you plan to overclock or add a video card in the future it pays to buy enough power supply for your future needs and always buy a quality power supply for long term reliability.

It really shouldn't use more power any psu worth a crap (he has a corsair so it is good) will be at least 80% efficient no matter what load is under it. So at it's worst the psu will pull roughly 20ish% more power from the wall than it is using. If you buy a shitty rosewill 1000watt and put a 300 watt load on it (if it doesn't blow up) then it will pull more power since it isn't 80+ certified but a 300 watt load on that corsair will pull the same as a 300 watt load on a 500 watt corsair. Maybe a couple watt difference but close enough to not matter.