Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: spam filter is useless
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:33 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

The spam filter that checks your posts when adding comments to an article is pretty much useless and very annoying.

I was trying to make a comment about ESET Smart Security 4 and windows 7 (compatibility error that was somewhat overlooked in the Security Sutie round-up in May 2010, but it won't let me post anything.)

It also reports my IP incorrectly (not the actual IP that the rest of the world sees, but my internal IP, which I think may be the problem....) Common IP addresses, like 192.168.x.x are for internal use, but to the outside world, it should be something like 72.10.10.5 or something more "random" rather than a commonly known IP..... So I think the spam filter is catching the wrong IP address.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:37 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

The spam filter is not useless, or there'd have to be 5 times the mods or paying someone to stay on top of spam 24/7. Instead, the filter is made clever enough to catch the obvious ones and the current staff can catch the sneaky ones.

How long did you take to post your comment on ESET? Over 5 minutes you think total? And where do you see your own IP on the forums? What is "It"?

And have you seen the thread currently right below this one to join in with?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:39 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I will try again. If it happens again, I'll post a screen shot of what I get (the IP address).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:49 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

well ,it did it again... no matter what Link I use in the page (simply tring to add a comment), it gives me this screen:

Notice the: 127.0.0.1 (which I think is obviously a mistake by the spam filter...)

Chumly: I'm trying to add a comment to the article itself, like others have... then I tried adding it to someone else's comment as a response... neither seemed to work. Is there a limit on the length of a comment?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:10 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Ah, that's on the website's side, not the forums. Had me worried there for a moment with the IP. The time thing matters here, but have heard a lot of issues about the spam filter on the magazine's official site.

That IP is your loopback or commonly known as "localhost". Basically means "home", or more basically "your computer". Try typing that into your url bar...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:06 am 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

This is a very well known problem by those who comment in the articles on the main page. Hell, I moderate out there and can't get anyone to fix the damned spam filter or pay any attention to it.

The spam filter is borked badly on the article comments. As such, I don't even post comments out there any more. I just remove spam and stupid shit from comments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:03 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

No, I'm aware of what the IP address is, I'm just surprised that it picked that up, and not the IP that my router reports as my "public IP" that everyone else on the net sees.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:18 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

Quakindude wrote:
Hell, I moderate out there and can't get anyone to fix the damned spam filter or pay any attention to it.

We know you guys are frustrated; unfortunately it's not an instant-fix situation. Before we instituted the spam filter, we were getting inundated with actual, real spam. Now we have a filter that blocks that stuff, but also blocks some legitimate posts. Obviously that's not ideal either, and it's frustrating when it catches your posts, but we don't have a button we can push that magically eliminates false positives.

Our dudes who do this stuff are working on it, and hopefully we'll see some improvements soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:12 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I hope so, because many times, people can offer good advice and suggestions right inside the comments after the articles, instead of filling up the forums with this stuff.

What does the spam filter look for anyway? (Not trying to circumvent it, but want to know if maybe I put something in my post it didn't like, or maybe my post was too long?? or too short??)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:14 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

From what I gather, you have to sacrifice a chicken to Bel-shamharoth, throw a well-salted floppy-disk over your left shoulder, and wink into a mirror while humming Safety Dance.

Only then, my son, will the spam filter let your post through.

Serious answer: I have no idea what trips it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:18 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I don't know either... maybe it didn't like what I said....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:24 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

I got hold of Alex Castle. He told me that MaximumPC is aware of the issue with the Spam Filter, but they are waiting on their Website Development Team to remedy the problems. MaxPC is staying on the Dev's daily to try and get this issue resolved.

So it's good to know that they are aware of the problem and working towards a solution. Knowing what little I do about Spam Filtering on websites, this could take a while to flesh out. So thanks for being patient. I know mine is worn thin from all the emails I've received about the spam filter, but they are working the issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:28 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Well ,that's good to hear... let's just see if they can crank out a fix for it. I love visiting the site and reading the info / listening to the podcasts, but it gets frustrating when you have something to say, and you can't say it because of some stupid spam filter. I know they need to keep advertisers from randomly advertising, but it inconveniences the rest of us. I guess you'll always have people who are displeased with your choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:41 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

This entire thread should have been marked as spam.

Seriously? Did we need another?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]