Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Official May 2010 Feedback Thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:45 am 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

Here's a thread for you all to talk to editors about the May 2010 issue of Maximum PC!

Please don't post "Mine hasn't arrived yet" type comments in here. Likewise "there's a typo on page 25, you guys are soooo stupid" posts. Please feel free to start another thread for those issues.

Also, please try to limit "I haven't gotten my issue yet" posts

We're really interested in your feelings about the actual editorial content of the mag (please note, ads are not editorial content)

Also, if you haven't yet, subscribe to our podcast!

-nathan

Last edited by nedwards on Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:53 am 

The AV roundup was interesting. Two things:

1) Have you found any problems using Microsoft Security Essentials on systems with XP? I've tried it on a few different systems, and on the XP ones, it installs fine, but when the system boots up, the AV service doesn't start automatically - you have to go into the services console and turn it on. Vista and 7 systems work fine.

2) It's odd that Comodo's AV suite doesn't work as well as ESET's, considering that according to the pictures of each (on pages 25 and 31), they use the same interface. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:54 am 
Team Dino
Team Dino

So what would it take for the Cooler Master 690 II Advanced to receive a 9 or a 9 Kick Ass?

n0b0dykn0ws

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:57 am 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

Every time I see your signature I think you're answering your own posts :lol:

The 690 II Advanced is a good case. But you can't fit a 5970 in the top PCI x16 slot, and another fan or two would have been nice. An 8 is not a bad score, and CM cases have definitely gotten Kick-Ass awards recently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:04 am 
Team Dino
Team Dino

nedwards wrote:
The 690 II Advanced is a good case. But you can't fit a 5970 in the top PCI x16 slot, and another fan or two would have been nice. An 8 is not a bad score, and CM cases have definitely gotten Kick-Ass awards recently.

Oh definitely! I love mine. Was just wondering what it would have took.

Personally, for a $100 case I wouldn't expect to fit a $600+ videocard, but that's just me. ;) If I wanted that, I would have sprung for the ATCS 840.

n0b0dykn0ws

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:07 am 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

That's reasonable; our focus for the roundup was on how much you could cram into the tower, though. It's still a great case. I like the X-Data port on top. Cooler Master midtowers have been really good recently: my home rig is a modified Storm Sniper and I'm still very happy with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:07 am 

Another great issue!

AV comparatives article: no Kaspersky IS reviewed/tested???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:43 pm 

Not sure if Thomas McDonald reads these or if someone can get this message to him:

Thank you!, Thank you!, Thank you! Your Game Theory write-up was spot on this month (not that it never is, I just particularly loathe DRM). I hope some game developers actually read what you put in the magazine. I hope you are plastering that everywhere you go. I think that is truly one of the main reasons people are moving to consoles as you said. It's less hassle for sure.

I think the main way that people can protest about DRM is with their money. Stop lining their pockets for crappy games with crappy DRM. Stop lining their pockets for good games with crappy DRM. I really wanted to play Assassin's Creed 2, but I will not buy it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:38 pm 

I was a little disappointed by the AV tests. The performance and feature comparison are nice, but what I'd really like to see is how effective are they. How many of them will catch 100% of viruses... kind of like what VB100 (http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/index) offers.

Also, the Comodo screen shot is showing the image for ESET instead. Also, one other security software that I would have liked to have seen in the roundup is Kaspersky.

Other than that, I'm pleased with the hardware reviews. It has helped me in my purchases.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:57 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Signal2Noise wrote:
AV comparatives article: no Kaspersky IS reviewed/tested???

Kaspersky didn't make the cut, nor did AVG and a few others from last year's roundup (see here) in order to make room for some fresh faces. We will, however, be running standalone reviews of several AV apps that weren't included this time around in future issues, so be on the lookout!

makoto wrote:
I was a little disappointed by the AV tests. The performance and feature comparison are nice, but what I'd really like to see is how effective are they. How many of them will catch 100% of viruses... kind of like what VB100 (http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/index) offers.

No antivirus suite is capable of catching every single virus in the wild, both new and old. That said, we did take into consideration scan results from Virus Bulletin and AV-Comparatives, in addition to our own synthetic and real-world testing, all of which played a role in our verdicts.

-Paul Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:34 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

About the AV review:

Microsoft Security Essentials scores an 8, yet it doesn't offer email scanning or a firewall.

So that leaves me wondering, isn't a software firewall necessary, and what can I use to scan my email? Will I need something in addition to MSE?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:54 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Windows comes with a serviceable built-in firewall, and if you're using even a semi-current router, then you're essentially sitting behind a hardware firewall as well. Third-party software firewalls bring more features to the table, but really aren't necessary for most home users.

Regarding MSE, it doesn't include dedicated email scanning, so if that's something you need, MSE isn't for you. However, if you do download a dirty attachment, MSE should keep your system protected if you try to execute the file. Alternately, you can save the attachment to your hard drive and manually scan the file before opening it.

FunkySquirrel wrote:
2) It's odd that Comodo's AV suite doesn't work as well as ESET's, considering that according to the pictures of each (on pages 25 and 31), they use the same interface. :wink:

Do'h! This is the screenie that was supposed to be printed:

Be sure to pay attention during installation or Comodo will install a toolbar, change your default search provider, and redirect your homepage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:50 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Thanks, One4yu2c. That info helps.

Looks like I can get rid of my expensive TrendMicro, which has actually kept me well protected over the past 2 years.

One4yu2c wrote:
Windows comes with a serviceable built-in firewall, and if you're using even a semi-current router, then you're essentially sitting behind a hardware firewall as well. Third-party software firewalls bring more features to the table, but really aren't necessary for most home users.

Regarding MSE, it doesn't include dedicated email scanning, so if that's something you need, MSE isn't for you. However, if you do download a dirty attachment, MSE should keep your system protected if you try to execute the file. Alternately, you can save the attachment to your hard drive and manually scan the file before opening it.

Post subject: virus protection reviews
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:56 pm 

"Kaspersky didn't make the cut, nor did AVG and a few others from last year's roundup (see here) in order to make room for some fresh faces..."

I hate it when this happens - like car magazines that compare the models of the major companies but "happen" not to test one of the major players.
Those of us who are depending on MPC to tell us the real deal in this category most of all, we need reassurance that we're on our game.

I'm new here, it shows, sorry I didn't undersatnd (hope I do now) how things are organized here. Been reading MPC since Boot...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:17 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

There's a question in there?

Toyota may be thrown out on brake test for obvious reasons. How's it's acceleration? Sudden. What is known need not be discussed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:18 am 

I too was a bit bummed by the exclusion of AVG from the AV roundup, particularly the free version. It would have made the choice of Avira/AVG/MS Essentials so much easier. Now, I'm left to hunt down other, often conflicting comparisons. So close to a good article, but yet so far by leaving out one of the major free players.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:16 am 

I was very surprised by the Avira showing...

Post subject: More personal evaluations please
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:45 pm 

Hi, like everyone else here love the magazine.

MaximumPC is great at informing us of the newest, fastest and greatest equipment out there. You do a fantastic job testing, evaluating and benchmarking all the new stuff. What I feel is lacking is a paragraph or two in the articles giving a persoanl evaluation of a new product.
What's it like to go from a mechanical drive to an SSD. Will I be stunned by how fast everything loads or will I be thinking I should have just waited to the next time I need to replace a drive.
Do 2 or 3 graphics cards dramatically increase the gaming experience or will I be just bragging about a super high FPS rate.
You guys get to play with the really cool stuff, how about a little more personal feedback.
George

Post subject: more depth?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:17 pm 

I appreciate MPC doing their best to give us as much info as possible, but i hope in the next AV review some other things might be considered.

Customer Service - ESL or American picking up the phone? Verifying a customer should not take more than 2 minutes. When a paying customer calls and wants to talk to a manager, how quickly is this done? If at all?

Tech Support - Chat AND Phone support needs to be FREE for people who have PAID for the product. Resolutions for problems should not include lengthy emails between a completely different department or uninstalling the AV program.

Functionality - If an AV program has an option for the user to disable an AV component (active scanning, firewall, scheduled scanning) then that option should work when you choose to make use of it. If i don't want Active Scanning on McAfee's to run, and i turn it off, then the scanning should TURN OFF. If i remove a program from the Quarantine list and move it to the trusted list then it should stay that way. A good way to test this is for MPC to load a "trainer" for a pc game on their computer.

I just had the unfortunate experience today dealing with all three of these issues with McAfee's. It used to be if you disabled scanning while you ran an RTS Trainer, the AV wouldn't flip out. Well, within the last 3 months this has changed significantly. Today i disabled Active Scan to play WH 40K with a trainer. I go to play and the trainer is removed before i can hit start. I got back into McAfee's and disable Active Scan, Firewall AND Scheduled scanning. No dice. I go to the McAfee's to get some tech support. Well chat support is free and phone support costs you money. Before you can enter chat support, you have to run their virtual tech program. This found my DAT program out of date. Once this was resolved i entered chat support. I told the tech my problem about the Active Scan not turning of. He tried to tell me that since Scheduled scan was enabled, this was the problem. I told him that my second attempt included disabled Active and Scheduled scanning and the firewall. The tech tried to tell me to submit my program to the AVERT people for review and when they got around to it they would look over it and MAYBE be able to give me a fix. I again stressed my frustration about the components i disabled STILL running and asked why this was. Things went dead in the chat box for a minute and the best response he came up with was "the only way to resolve the problem would be to remove McAfee's totally or have AVERT look over the program and wait for their response. I asked him again why it was disabling functions doesn't work. The tech logs off. I call customer service and got an ESL rep and expressed my problem. The rep asked me to go through the chat support again and after i refused, that i told him i wanted phone support. He tells me this would cost money. I refuted that i've paid for the program annually and paying for support is out of the question. I tell him to connect me to a manager and this whole process goes down the tubes after he makes me wait in silence without trying to connect me. After a few moments of my own annoying verbal barrage in the silence, he comes on saying he'll connect me. This keeps going on for about 10 minutes back and forth and ends with me needing to hang up b/c my fiancee is calling back to back to tell me something important. Not her fault, but still, no progress made whatsoever with McAfee's.
I hope MPC considers items like this next time in their round up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:10 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

You're 3 months behind brosef.