Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:01 am 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

alrighty, the paint job. Right now the final coat of the main section is drying, but the side panel and front bezel are ready for the clear coat:
The priming job on the main section- used automotive gray primer, worked very nicely, but that stuff ain't cheap!

Here's pics of the main section painted and ready for clear coat:

Last edited by Spartacus on Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:08 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Right on man, are you going with the wood clearcoat that you found then?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:10 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

In the end I just got some Krylon clearcoat after reading that the woodcoat I had also has a "natural ambering effect." Translation- it gets yellow over time. So I just went and got a $4 can of Krylon Satin Clear coat. So far the side panel and front bezel, which were painted more then two days ago, are done and drying. I love how the clear coat evens itself out as it dries. I'll clear coat the main section tomorrow, because I just painted it yesterday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:57 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Cool, looking forward to see the the finished product. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:23 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

Very, very nicely done so far. I am especially impressed with your home-brew I/O shield. Very ingenious... reminds me of what I had to do when re-using an old case from 2000; for some reason, the case was designed to shift the mobo almost a half-inch away from the rear panel, so I had to make a spacer out of aluminum HVAC tape and strips cut from a cereal box to hold my I/O shield in place against the jacks! Thumbs up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:34 am 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

Thanks for the comments! Here's pics of the clear-coated side and front panels- I ran out of clear coat, so I wasn't able to do the main section until today.
turned out very nicely. They're much more resistant to scratches now.

Alright, I finished clear coating the main section! It turned out great. Note that a lot of the apparent blemishes are actually the finish reflecting light-colored stuff in the room. :wink:
The Side panel on:
I'll assemble the case tomorrow, and I went to the hardware store and bought filter foam and mesh for the front fan, which will arrive Wednesday.

Last edited by Spartacus on Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:04 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

The paint job looks good amigo, nice work. Painting can be tedious and time consuming, but the results pay off if you take the time to do it right, and it looks like you did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:24 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

I haven't updated this in a while, and the mod is nearing completion. I reassembled the case, as from now on I'm only going to be adding lights, swapping fans, etc.
I fashioned a filter for the 80mm bottom intake fan:
The hardware:
MSI P4MAM2-V
2.4Ghz Pentium 4 Prescott
2x 512MB DDR 266
Sapphire Radeon HD 3650 (@ AGP 4X)
PCP&C 420W PSU
Hitachi 160GB ATA/133 HDD
Floppy Drive
IDE CD-RW drive
IDE DVD-RW drive
USB 2.0 PCI controller
USB Wireless-N adapter
WinXP Home Edition
30 minutes later...
POSTed first time!
Everything works.
I also have pics from the assembly of the turbine- I've since finished it, but I haven't taken pics yet, so I've got some of them while I was working on the grille.
measuring and tracing with a spare.
Vanilla scissors was the easiest way to cut it quickly I found.
ready to be painted.
Once I take more pics I'll post them up when I find time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:31 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

That case doesn't deserve that hardware lol. Same with the monitor and keyboard. I'm gonna try a turbine fan in my mod as well, and I hope it turns out as nice as yours...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:10 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

Alright, I've finally found time to take more pics. The mod is very nearly finished, just need to finish the front-panel lighting and the front-panel USB ports.
Unfortunately I did a lot of work on it between now and the last time I took pictures, so I don't really have any pics of the making of this stuff.
Finished the turbine. It isn't perfect, but I think it turned out quite well:
The fan's panel is mounted on a hinge and simply clicks in and out, making maintenance on the filter and fan extremely easy:
Fan is a Scythe Kaze Slim 120x12mm. The filter serves a dual purpose. First, it blocks dust, and second, it blocks the red light from the inside, as the front panel glows blue and I don't want it to clash.
In case you were wondering what that knob and metal plate contraption is on the front panel, it's a switch for a 5-LED light I installed in the front panel.
Here's the wiring I did for it:
Unfortunately, when I went to Micro Center to buy this light, they only had one in stock. I'll have to get the other one later.
I also made a tool-less thumscrew HDD retention mechanism:
You can now simply unscrew the thumbscrew and slide the HDD out. That mount has come a long way since the three metal strips screwed to the bottom of the case.
The rear panel:
The only thing of note here is that I removed the old plastic retention clip mechanism and drilled and tapped two holes for the thumbscrews holding the side panel on.
It also received a badly-needed hardware update. Thanks to all the folders who provided the hardware!
PCP&C 420W PSU
HP DVD+RW Drive
Lite-On CD-RW Drive
FDD (really just filling the slot. Better then a hole)
Intel DG965OT motherboard
Core 2 Duo E6300
2x1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 CAS 4
BFG GeForce 9800GT OC (650/1628/945)
Samsung SpinPoint F3 250GB (this thing is wicked-fast! Blows the old VelociRaptors away)
Windows XP Home Edition
Here it is on:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:05 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

This is very nicely done, Spartacus. Believe me, I'm taking notes. Very clean work.

You never did say exactly which paint you used on the plastic parts on the front. I'm curious to know, because I would like to paint my own case, but all my outside case panels are ABS plastic(!) snapped onto a steel frame. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:35 am 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

The first time I painted the front panel I used Rust-Oleum paint that is specifically for plastic. It stuck and looked great, but it was textured and I didn't like that. When i repainted the front I used two coats (or three. I think it was two) of automotive primer, sanded, and then used vanilla Krylon black paint. After that dried for two days, I used Krylon satin clear coat to seal it. So far it's been quite scratch resistant and I'm very happy with the results.

Another note. the best way I found to get a very smooth finish without the hassle of wet-sanding or airbrushing is to first sand it down with some standard very fine-grit sandpaper, and then use some 3M ultrafine sandpaper. That sandpaper is sort of like a very thin sponge with one side that is somewhat rough. You can make the coat of primer smooth as silk with enough passes of that thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:30 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

Excellent; thank you. It's getting warmer out, so I'll be lookin' into this. Again, very nice work. Thumbs up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:56 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Nice job on the turbine Spartacus, this mod is coming along nicely. One suggestion I have is to use some u-channel molding around your intake hole, that will clean up the imperfections that plastic is notorious for when it gets cut.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:10 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

hurv wrote:
use some u-channel molding around your intake hole, that will clean up the imperfections that plastic is notorious for when it gets cut.

That's a great idea! Now to find u-channel molding small enough for it...
thanks for the suggestion!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:25 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Nice upgrade of parts. Good case to put your winning parts from the 10,20,30 contest. I saw your pics on the folding page and I thought that case looks familiar. Good job!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:57 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Spartacus wrote:
hurv wrote:
use some u-channel molding around your intake hole, that will clean up the imperfections that plastic is notorious for when it gets cut.

This stuff should work well:

http://www.mnpctech.com/UChannel.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:32 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Spartacus wrote:
hurv wrote:

McMaster Carr has a huge catalog of great stuff. Here's one page:

Link

Check out the plastic (Nylon) edge trim on another page (3741) for edging holes inside the case.

Tip: If you want a catalog, don't request to send it to a residence, you'll get a canned response. Sent it to a business. They will ship to a residence though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:42 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

hurv wrote:
Spartacus wrote:
hurv wrote:

hmm... at $2 for a 3ft length, that's a very cheap solution. But shipping is $10. :cry:
I'll check out the local hardware stores first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:43 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Spartacus wrote:
hurv wrote:
Spartacus wrote:
hurv wrote:

hmm... at $2 for a 3ft length, that's a very cheap solution. But shipping is $10. :cry:
I'll check out the local hardware stores first.

Check an auto parts store too for door molding (I think thats what its called). I used that for the window molding in my Antec 300 mod. Its thicker that regular U channel, but I bet it would work.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next