Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Next Android Phone: Need Opinions
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:02 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Hey MxPC users,

Today, I wanted to ask you guys about what Android phone you think that I should be getting? Obviously, the Nexus One and the Droid are the most attractive phones, but both are very, very nice phones to get, too.

First and foremost, though, let me state that I have an HTC Hero, and I absolutely hate the damned thing. It's sluggish, applications break, and did I mention sluggish? Don't worry, I've tried everything from a system reboot, to clearing up memory, and all the way to a factory reset of the device, and nothing wants to work. So, with that said, I think it is time for me to just search for a different phone, since I've had such a bad experience with the Hero.

The Droid is the more attractive phone to me because it has a full-fledged QWERTY keyboard on it, and I'm rather sick of trying to type on my virtual keyboard for the Hero; however, as I understand it, the Nexus One is far faster in comparison to the Droid, and I do want spead. Now, you can see my dilema that I am having here. Do I choose a smartphone that has a full-fledged keyboard, but might be a bit sluggish, or do I go for the phone (Nexus One) that actually can get things done in a timely manner?

I've also read a lot of comments on Verizon's website from users saying that the voice quality on the Droid is not exactly superb, so any feedback on that?

Again, thank you for your time,

Tyler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:07 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Did you read the MPC article on the Nexus? Sounds good to me but since I'm married with kids I can't afford a new phone. I have the G1 and I'm partial to physical keyboards. But, by the time I can afford the Nexus, that would be my choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:32 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Hey, thanks for posting.

Yeah, I think I'm going to go with the Droid. It has a physical keyboard, and I'm really just fed up with the whole virtual keyboard bs. I read an article a few months ago that described how if the user-input screen wasn't programmed just right, it would cause a lot of mayhem, in some extreme cases, for people with touchscreen phones. I would like to know if there is anyone out there that can confirm that the Droid's speakers aren't very good. I've heard a lot of negative complaints about the Droid speaker, but I don't trust regular, old people to tell me what they think of the Droid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:19 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

I'm still pretty hyped about the Nexus One. If I can afford a smartphone soon, that'll be the one. Very, very nice hardware set wins me over easily. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:54 am 

i have had a droid since it has come out and i love the thing. i use it all the time and i don't think the speakers are bad at all. it has very loud ringtone and music and its all very good for a phone much better then the ones in ipods and other phones. i think you should go with a droid and they are cheaper i think too if thats a factor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:42 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

droid is just verizon, right? Is it unlockable because I'm not switching my carrier any time soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:43 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Well, the HTC Evo is coming to Sprint, and I currently have the HTC Hero from Sprint. So, I'm probably going to stay, and switch over to the HTC Evo when it comes out. Although, I'm not too happy about the virtual keyboard, but it looks like one sweet phone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:44 pm 

Its probly unlockable I don't know how to do it tho. Sorry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:38 pm 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

Queenof1 wrote:
droid is just verizon, right? Is it unlockable because I'm not switching my carrier any time soon.

Droid is just Verizon, yes. However, most other carriers have their version of the Android powered phones too. Most of them are HTC phones. You can always buy a phone from Google too and use it on AT&T or T-Mobile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:31 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

No love for the HTC Evo/Nexus?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:37 pm 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

I Jedi wrote:
No love for the HTC Evo/Nexus?

Not with the crappy network it's on. Sprint out here is non-existent. It's good for major metropolis', but once you leave a major highway, bye bye service. I'm sure it's a great phone, though. It has Android, after all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:28 pm 

y uncle has the droid and put a custom rom on it jrummy cynagen I think....but you can overclock it to 1ghz and alot of other things real nice....I know there's two new ones coming out for AT&T....so vz might have them too ....ones a 4.0 inch screen the other is 3.5 it's htc , Dell ,and Sony...Sony being the 4.0

http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/AT-T-ca ... _14_3.html

Last edited by moko on Tue May 04, 2010 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:07 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Droid
- decent cpu - TI OMAP 3 at 550MHz
- decent 3d performance from power vr chipset.
- has already been rooted - so you can remove crapware or add stuff you want to add.
- keyboard!
x half the ram of nexus 1 - 256MB vs 512MB
? mixed battery life details. see here

nexus 1
- "fast" cpu - 1GHz snapdragon
- nicer color display? amoled
x possible screen resolution farce
- 40 grams lighter
- root available
x battery life described as "woefully brief" (tech crunch)

comparing the cpu is really difficult.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:26 am 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

I know I like my droid. beautiful screen, good antenna, and the speaker is pretty good in my opinion.

Ted