Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Article Comments Spam filter starting to SUCK
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:58 am 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

I tried entering the following message in response to a guy saying he can't ever get Steam to "reactivate a game after reinstalling a game." The way he worded it, it was obvious to me he had an issue ONE time, then uses that as justification to pirate games instead of paying for them.

Quote:
I find that very hard to believe. Unless you've got STEAM running on two computers at the same time, you can reinstall a game in your Games list on five different computers without issue as long as only one computer is logged into Steam at a time. I've gone from Florida, flew into Denver, Colorado, installed my games on my buddies second computer for a LAN party and had no problems with activation or playing them.

This is only the second time I hit the button to notify Admins, but it's happening a LOT. Why in the world would that be blocked as Spam? And I've not heard back from the last time I reported an issue either.

This has GOT to be causing the site some traffic. If you report obvious non-Spam posts as not being Spam, then get zero notification it was looked into and it still keeps happening, people are going to get discouraged pretty quick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:49 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

There's a "Notify Admin" button on the website?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:54 pm 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

When the Spam error pops up, there is an option to notify a Web Admin, yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:24 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

I've used it to no avail. That's why I posted here. :wink:

There are many people who frequent the comments area but not the forums who are complaining about it in various articles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:38 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

Here's another example. I just spent five minutes writing this comment for the article about Google bringing in free Nav on their phones vs. other companies who charge for the service.

Quote:
Eventually, even AT&T will be offering their navigation capabilities for free. Free nav options on phones WILL pull people to other devices. When you're paying $200 a month to keep a few Blackberry's on the navi front, people will take free over an extra $10 a month even if it means changing carriers and phones. I use the Blackberry as an example, there are TONS of phones that support GPS capabilities out there.

Google will once again force others to give stuff away for free when they used to charge for those services. Gotta love it!

And guess what I got?

Of course, I sent a notification in. Again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:18 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

I've never seen that one before. Maybe you're posting too much. It's their polite way of telling you that you're a post whore. Spider Monkey probably has the same problem and might be able to tell you how to get around it. :mrgreen:

Have you tried to preview the comments before you post them? It works on the forums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:36 am 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

Gigabyte wrote:
I've never seen that one before. Maybe you're posting too much. It's their polite way of telling you that you're a post whore. Spider Monkey probably has the same problem and might be able to tell you how to get around it. :mrgreen:

Have you tried to preview the comments before you post them? It works on the forums.

All that does is show you a preview. Then you post and you get that Spam filter screen. :wink:

It used to be that I would only get that after having blocked a lot of accounts, cleaned up a lot of posts with links in them and so on. Now, it happens just out of the blue. Sometimes, I can hit the "back" button, resubmit it and it will go through. But sometimes, it just won't. And there's no reason for it not to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:51 am 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

I was always under the impression that that filter had a time based element to it too. In other words, if you took to long to type it up and post it, it would mark it as spam. You a slow typer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:10 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Or a long poster since it's an article. I run into that in the forums, so I just hit "review" then post or I get hit with the spam filter in here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:25 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Eventually, even AT&T will be offering their navigation capabilities for free. Free nav options on phones WILL pull people to other devices. When you're paying $200 a month to keep a few Blackberry's on the navi front, people will take free over an extra $10 a month even if it means changing carriers and phones. I use the Blackberry as an example, there are TONS of phones that support GPS capabilities out there.

Google will once again force others to give stuff away for free when they used to charge for those services. Gotta love it!

Just testing it here... now it won't let me delete lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:28 pm 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

-Lawless wrote:

Lolwtf? You know better. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:10 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

the Legitimate Comment Filter HAS to go.

Talk about printer cartiges in a article about Printer cartigates, that a spammin
Talk about DRM in assassin creed 2, that a spammin
talk about the spam filter, that's a spamin
Smash fist on keyboard in nerdrage, that's a spamin

Post subject: Yes, the new version of the SPAM filter is terrible...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:13 pm 

I have no idea what is going on with the SPAM filter. I get hit by it when replying to a news item about once every two comments. As my posts are usually well written, this is frustrating as hell. Is it true that If I actually spend time writing a well thought out reply, I will get spammed, but if I send out a knee jerk blurb it will work fine?
MPC, please fix this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:28 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

bigtoyota479 wrote:
-Lawless wrote:

Lolwtf? You know better. :wink:

lmao!
I started reading your quote and I was like... I never wrote that!
Then I realized what I did. Quoting Quake :oops: :lol:

Post subject: why am I even bothering.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:02 pm 

I wrote a nice message about 3D technology and the spam filter automatically throws it away. Get used to a lot less comments, MPC, as you SPAM filter really sucks wind! No more comments from me!

Post subject: Re: why am I even bothering.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:29 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

JohnP wrote:
I wrote a nice message about 3D technology and the spam filter automatically throws it away. Get used to a lot less comments, MPC, as you SPAM filter really sucks wind! No more comments from me!

Bye

Post subject: Is it time?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:01 pm 

ANOTHER one was blocked! Geez, I think it is a time the comment window is open. I tried writing in Word first but forgot that the comment window was still open.

Post subject: Re: Is it time?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:33 pm 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

JohnP wrote:
ANOTHER one was blocked! Geez, I think it is a time the comment window is open. I tried writing in Word first but forgot that the comment window was still open.

It IS time based. Leave it open too long, and it will flag it as spam. If it's going to be an uber long post, type it up in notepad first, then paste it here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:46 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Take 20 minutes to write an essay? Hit preview then post...It works.

Can't just rant for 20 minutes and then submit it? If you can't get around that, notepad and then cut and paste. Not wise though...time to review is always nice, and it's built-in for you here.

I make long posts...this works. If you use Firefox, you can press back and it's still there to press review and then post.