Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: computer repair/build courses online
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:57 am 

computer novice seeks advice on any good, inexspensive courses online to build and repair computers for self and family

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:07 am 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

Telling you now. If another guy pops up with 1 or 2 posts in this forum giving links to a school, this thread goes in the trash can.

Post subject: courses not needed
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:45 pm 

Taking a course to build a computer is a waste of time. I have taught myself everything I know just by doing it! When I started I didn't have google. Now that google is here just type in "how to build your own PC". You will have more valid info that will take you the rest of your life to read if you tried to read it all.
I typed in Google" how to build your own computer, the following is the result:
Results 1 - 10 of about 548,000,000 for how to build your own computer. (0.19 seconds)
That's ten pages of over 500 MILLION responses on how to build a computer.
Now go to it!

Post subject: Re: courses not needed
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:30 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

MRR045 wrote:
Taking a course to build a computer is a waste of time. I have taught myself everything I know just by doing it! When I started I didn't have google. Now that google is here just type in "how to build your own PC". You will have more valid info that will take you the rest of your life to read if you tried to read it all.
I typed in Google" how to build your own computer, the following is the result:
Results 1 - 10 of about 548,000,000 for how to build your own computer. (0.19 seconds)
That's ten pages of over 500 MILLION responses on how to build a computer.
Now go to it!

I agree there with you. BUT if you want to get on the serious side of building a computer your local University offers classes that will take you past the hands on end of it too what REALLY makes a computer operate.
(example) How many heads (platters) on a EIDE drive do you need to build a gaming PC?

Post subject: Re: computer repair/build courses online
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:21 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

ajkennedy wrote:
computer novice seeks advice on any good, inexspensive courses online to build and repair computers for self and family

The Magazine has some good resources that you should look at to give yourself a start on building for yourself and family. The first link below is an example step-by-step video. The next two are builds that the Magazine staff put together for articles and benchmarking.

In this video, former Editor in Chief, Will Smith, assembles a PC from start to finish (not including software). Go directly to the video if the one in the article won't go to fullscreen. This is a good video, but realize that some specifics will vary when you use different components.
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/featur ... _explained

$647 PC from Dec '09
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/featur ... page=0%2C0

2009 Dream Machine
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/dream_machine

Before you purchase components for a build, I strongly recommend you ask and provide a shopping list in the Help Me Buy/Help Me Build section of the forum in addition to reading various reviews and price comparisons in MPC and additional comparable sources. Do not rely solely on shopper reviews such as those on store sites.

Use the forum as a place to start learning DIY troubleshooting. There are users here with various experience levels ranging from new users to hardcore hobbyists and professionals. You can ask anything from "Where's the 'any' key?" to "Help troubleshoot the custom Operating System I wrote when I was bored." Someone can assist or point you in the right direction. Before you know it, you'll begin to learn enough that you'll enter that danger zone where your family and friends realize that you can fix their computers.

If you anticipate needing entry level certification for an employer, check with your local community college. The courses will be less expensive than at a training center and you'll get college credit. The classes will take longer as they will last for a grading period (semester, trimester). You will also get more time for questions and individual assistance. If an employer requires certification, check to see if they offer training or some level of reimbursement.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:42 am 

Find a local computer repair guy from an add in local paper or local web search and ask for some tips and help. Most will only be too pleased to help you. You never know, you might eventually get a job to help out when he is busy.

David

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:32 am 

Edward6287 wrote:
ajkennedy wrote:

The Magazine has some good resources that you should look at to give yourself a start on building for yourself and family. The first link below is an example step-by-step video. The next two are builds that the Magazine staff put together for articles and benchmarking.

In this video, former Editor in Chief, Will Smith, assembles a PC from start to finish (not including software). Go directly to the video if the one in the article won't go to fullscreen. This is a good video, but realize that some specifics will vary when you use different components.
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/featur ... _explained

$647 PC from Dec '09
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/featur ... page=0%2C0

2009 Dream Machine
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/dream_machine

Before you purchase components for a build, I strongly recommend you ask and provide a shopping list in the Help Me Buy/Help Me Build section of the forum in addition to reading various reviews and price comparisons in MPC and additional comparable sources. Do not rely solely on shopper reviews such as those on store sites.

Use the forum as a place to start learning DIY troubleshooting. There are users here with various experience levels ranging from new users to hardcore hobbyists and professionals. You can ask anything from "Where's the 'any' key?" to "Help troubleshoot the custom Operating System I wrote when I was bored." Someone can assist or point you in the right direction. Before you know it, you'll begin to learn enough that you'll enter that danger zone where your family and friends realize that you can fix their computers.

If you anticipate needing entry level certification for an employer, check with your local community college. The courses will be less expensive than at a training center and you'll get college credit. The classes will take longer as they will last for a grading period (semester, trimester). You will also get more time for questions and individual assistance. If an employer requires certification, check to see if they offer training or some level of reimbursement.

Thank you for this. It is a good start for my personal PC. :D