Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Microsoft A+, or CompTia A+ Certification
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:59 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I am wondering about the differences of these 2 A+ certification. I took the Microsoft A+, and I am currently A+ certified. NOW I am hearing about CompTia's A+ certification and curious as to what if any differences between the 2. I contacted Microsoft, and they just tell me it is accepted. (CompTia) So if there is anyone out there that has already been certified in both Microsoft's and CompTia's A+ I would love to hear the breakdown on both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:18 am 
Hired Gun
Hired Gun

Moved to Education & Certification, because it fits in this section better then the network nook.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:09 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Mike_Holli wrote:
I am wondering about the differences of these 2 A+ certification. I took the Microsoft A+, and I am currently A+ certified. NOW I am hearing about CompTia's A+ certification and curious as to what if any differences between the 2. I contacted Microsoft, and they just tell me it is accepted. (CompTia) So if there is anyone out there that has already been certified in both Microsoft's and CompTia's A+ I would love to hear the breakdown on both.
When and where did you take Microsoft's A+ exam? I hope it didn't cost much. I've never heard of such a thing. I just checked Google, M$, and Prometric and they failed to provide evidence that one exist. I wasn't surprised. CompTIA is the + god!

http://www.comptia.org/certifications/listed.aspx
Quote:
CompTIA A+
For entry-level IT technicians, the CompTIA A+ exam covers preventative maintenance, basic networking, installation, troubleshooting, communication and professionalism.

CompTIA Network+
For networking professionals, the CompTIA Network+ exam covers managing, maintaining, troubleshooting, operating and configuring basic network infrastructure.

CompTIA Security+
For experienced security professionals, the CompTIA Security+ exam covers system security, network infrastructure, cryptography, assessments and audits.

CompTIA Server+
For experienced IT professionals, the CompTIA Server+ exam covers areas such as RAID, SCSI, managing multiple CPUs and disaster recovery.

CompTIA Linux+
For experienced Linux professionals, the CompTIA Linux+ exam covers user administration, file permissions, software configurations and the fundamental management of Linux systems.

CompTIA PDI+
For entry-level printer and document-imaging technicians, the CompTIA PDI+ exam covers basic electromechanical components and tools, print engine and scan processes, color theory and networking.

CompTIA RFID+
For RFID professionals, the CompTIA RFID+ exam covers installation, maintenance, repair and troubleshooting of RFID products.

CompTIA Convergence+
For experienced convergence professionals, the CompTIA Convergence+ exam covers designing, implementing and managing voice and data networks.

CompTIA CTT+
For technical instructors, the CompTIA CTT+ exam covers classroom preparation, presentation, communication, facilitation and evaluation in both traditional classroom and virtual classroom environments.

CompTIA CDIA+
For document imaging solutions sellers, the CompTIA CDIA+ exam covers planning, designing and specifying a document imaging management system.

CompTIA Project+
For project managers, the CompTIA Project+ certification covers the entire process of project management, including initiation, planning, execution, acceptance, support and closure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:54 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Gigabyte wrote:
When and where did you take Microsoft's A+ exam? I hope it didn't cost much. I've never heard of such a thing. I just checked Google, M$, and Prometric and they failed to provide evidence that one exist. I wasn't surprised. CompTIA is the + god!

MS Press publishes A+ study guides and a lot of MSCE/MCSA/etc. training programs also include A+ instruction. The OP may have assumed it was a MS cert based on this, it wouldn't be the first time.

Here is the complete list of MS certs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:05 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

alan2308 wrote:
The OP may have assumed it was a MS cert based on this, it wouldn't be the first time.
It would be the first time that I've seen somebody claim to be A+ certified and be this confused. There's a ton of A+ study guides and material out there, and it all says CompTIA A+ certification.

It's a well known fact that "CompTIA is known worldwide as the leading provider of vendor-neutral IT certifications." At least that's what they claim. :D We're not going to see straight M$ BS on the exams or study material. The vouchers, receipts, test centers, exam score reports, email notifications, and certifications all say CompTIA. It should be correct on his resume too. I find it very hard to miss or forget if you're already certified.

Post subject: Microsoft's A+ certfication
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:13 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Thru the MCSE exam, and verifiable thru education@microsoft.com Microsoft DOES indeed have this available, or in my case had it available back in the Windows NT 3.x, and 4.x era. Anyways was JUST going over the CompTia's "A+ Core Hardware Fundamentals" and WHAT struck me strange is that they have SCSI listed as a small system interface. I wasn't aware that a RS6000, and AS400 both IBM were considered small systems.
Now with ISA it is listed as it should be Industrial Standard Architecture, and it should of listed SCSI as Simple Conection Simple Interface. Whereas I know this is dead technology it is still within the A+ certification.
Also when I took my A+ exam/test, we had to learn what CISC: Complex Instruction Set Computer, and RISC: Reduced Instruction Set Computer were, and no WHERE are either of these listed in the CompTia's A+ Core Hardware Fundamentals. This truely strikes me as strange.

**EDIT** I just looked thru the current list of Microsoft Certifications, and MCP "Microsoft Certified Professional" is nolonger there as well.

Post subject: Re: Microsoft's A+ certfication
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:27 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Mike_Holli wrote:
Thru the MCSE exam, and verifiable thru education@microsoft.com Microsoft DOES indeed have this available, or in my case had it available back in the Windows NT 3.x, and 4.x era.
Not sure if I was alive then. J/k but I was young enough to forget. :D I checked M$'s site for this very reason and they have CompTIA listed under MCSE.
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us ... .aspx#tab2
Quote:
Third-party (CompTIA) certifications:

CompTIA A+ and CompTIA Network+

or

CompTIA Security+
BTW, That's why I asked where and when. It still looks odd to me. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:35 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

OK you got me GigaByte, I'm OLD! :shock:

Also if you read thru the site you listed quite a few certifications have been retired. So with that in mind I'm thinking so is Microsft's A+ certification, or was switched with CompTIA's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:52 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Lucky for you I guess. All the old folks that I know say "the new exams are 1,000 times easier than the old ones." They say that about everything so I don't know how true it is. Things seemed to be easier back then IMO. You probably read the other thread, but here it is again. This is exactly what you can expect to see on CompTIA exams from the 21st century. :P

http://www.comptia.org/certifications/t ... /a701.aspx
http://www.comptia.org/certifications/t ... /a702.aspx
http://www.comptia.org/certifications/t ... twork.aspx
http://www.comptia.org/certifications/t ... urity.aspx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:21 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

The first 3 were VERY easy. BUT the last one I didn't fare that well, but then again back in the days WE didn't have those threats, BUT I need to brush up myself on security.

:?

Post subject: Gigabyte, just curious if you had taken the...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:59 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Gigabyte, just curious if you had taken the CompTIA RFID+
For RFID professionals, the CompTIA RFID+ exam. I can't see how
(R)adio (F)requency (I)(D) would opt for any type of needed certification.
RFID in and of itself isn't that hard of a subject.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:41 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

I've only taken S+ and N+. S+ is all the DoD Directive 8570.01really cares about, and I figured N+ was easy so I decided to knock it out before they start to expire. I don't think CompTIA exams cover that hard of subjects. At least not from what I've seen. Although I might be surprised if I looked into all of them. I'm happy with what I have, and probably will not take anymore CompTIA exams. S+ and N+ don't look like much next to a CISSP or CISCO certs, let alone somebody that has a ton of experience & knowledge in a given field. M$ isn't going anywhere either. Those are the things that I'll be focused on in the future.

Post subject: Re: Microsoft's A+ certfication
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:15 pm 

I am not sure if you guys know but I will see if I understand you all and let you know what I know.

There is only CompTia A+ no Microsoft A+

Microsoft will let you use some of CompTia certs as an elective, but they are talking about the CompTia A+ and I believe Security+ was another CompTia cert you could use when I went for my MCSE cert.

I hope this helps.
Thanks

Gigabyte wrote:
Mike_Holli wrote:
Thru the MCSE exam, and verifiable thru education@microsoft.com Microsoft DOES indeed have this available, or in my case had it available back in the Windows NT 3.x, and 4.x era.
Not sure if I was alive then. J/k but I was young enough to forget. :D I checked M$'s site for this very reason and they have CompTIA listed under MCSE.
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us ... .aspx#tab2
Quote:
Third-party (CompTIA) certifications:

CompTIA A+ and CompTIA Network+

or

CompTIA Security+
BTW, That's why I asked where and when. It still looks odd to me. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:35 am 

Mike_Holli wrote:
The first 3 were VERY easy. BUT the last one I didn't fare that well, but then again back in the days WE didn't have those threats, BUT I need to brush up myself on security.

:?

hey can tell me the exact cost of the course?

Post subject: Course cost
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:52 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

The course cost JUST for the Application Essentials is $2000.00, there is also the Hardware Essentials, and the Network Essentials for the A+ Certification.