Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Lucid Lynx
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:03 am 
Million Club 5+ [PC]*
Million Club 5+ [PC]*

I was thinking just the other day that it has been awhile since the last Ubuntu update

so I popped over to wiki and found out that the new version is only a month away

is anyone following LL's development?

what are some of the new major features over Karmic Koala?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:01 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

It hasn't been that long. They're on time!It's getting a makeover and here's the LucidLynx/TechnicalOverview.

I've been waiting for it. I need to update the 8.04 LTS F@h guides, and the hardware support will be nice. I'm really looking forward to the "Improved support for nVidia proprietary graphics drivers". I hope the drivers and toolkit work out of the box, so I can cut this in half and remove the most intimidating section.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:01 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

I never tend to follow the Ubuntu release schedule. I usually keep a version installed until they stop releasing updates for it (standard desktop versions are good for about 18 months I believe).

I'm actually running Ubuntu 9.10 and will keep it until I decide to pop back over to Debian (Lenny I'm sure will still be current), or dive into Slackware.

Ubuntu is great for general use and works for almost all things almost all the time, but I've experienced weird issues the last couple versions I've tried. This time, it's random freezing. It's little stuff that isn't a big deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:38 pm 

Idk, I'm running Karmic Koala right now. I'll probably wait until Masturbating Monkey comes out before I upgrade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:31 pm 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

SpaceBison wrote:
Idk, I'm running Karmic Koala right now. I'll probably wait until Masturbating Monkey comes out before I upgrade.

^^Epicness^^ :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:55 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I'm still holding out for the "Doesn't take yet another 5% off of my F@H performance" release. Any word on when that one is going to come out? :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:59 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

alan2308 wrote:
I'm still holding out for the "Doesn't take yet another 5% off of my F@H performance" release. Any word on when that one is going to come out? :mrgreen:

Yeah, they call it Debian...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:32 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Lodis4 wrote:
alan2308 wrote:

Actually, we will call it Core A3, when & if Stanford doesn't screw it up for Linux cleints. I'm not sure what the delay is. Maybe they're not in a hurry because A2 has done so well over the past couple of years. I'm thankful we're not still stuck with A1. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:12 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Lodis4 wrote:
alan2308 wrote:

The thing is though, this box is my daily driver as well as a folding rig, and I'd like to use software made this century. That kind of rules out Debian. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:14 pm 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

alan2308 wrote:
Lodis4 wrote:
alan2308 wrote:

The thing is though, this box is my daily driver as well as a folding rig, and I'd like to use software made this century. That kind of rules out Debian. :)

I've used Debian for cumulative couple years. There's nothing wrong with it. My only complaint is that it's boring looking out-of-the-box but that can be changed if you really really want to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:53 am 

alan2308 wrote:
Lodis4 wrote:
alan2308 wrote:

Have you tried Elive? It has been a while since I ran it but I remember liking it quite a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:18 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus*
Million Club - 5 Plus*

alan2308 wrote:
Lodis4 wrote:
alan2308 wrote:

I would then use Arch, as new software doesn't take long to hit the repositories. It's a rolling release too, so you would never have to reinstall everything but rather just continually upgrade to the latest versions of everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:51 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I'm still using 8.04 :shock:

I stopped upgrading cause I didn't want to switch to KDE 4. I was just thinking the other day that it was high time to upgrade (I've been slamming my head against the wall cause there're a few bugs I've run into constantly with this old software). Then I realized that the next version will be out soon anyways, so I figured I'd wait. In the meantime, I need to figure out what to do with all my crap. I've got like 2TB of stuff laying around. I need to see how much I can get rid of and backup or partition off the rest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:22 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

I don't understand why you'd ever need to 'upgrade' ... don't you guys install new patches / updates as they get released to the package manager?

Any flavour of linux that uses a package manager should pretty much stay current if the admin isn't a lazyass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:45 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Jipstyle wrote:
I don't understand why you'd ever need to 'upgrade' ... don't you guys install new patches / updates as they get released to the package manager?

Any flavour of linux that uses a package manager should pretty much stay current if the admin isn't a lazyass.

Not everyone has time for that. I work fulltime and my life doesn't revolve around computers like it did in highschool. It's easier to never update or just update it all at once.