Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Damn Verizon
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:41 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

Recently, after a lot of "no way, I can't accept this!" I broke down and got a free Palm Pre from an acquaintance who has craploads of em, and I was planning on simply using it, data-free, much like my current phone. Also, the Pre has Wifi, so I figured I can use all the apps/features on it anyway, even without a plan. After calling in and activating the phone, the damn thing went to a "log into your palm account" dialog.

I figured I'd just go through, and when it realized I'm not connected to the data network, it would just let me slip through. Not the case. I called the activation line, again, and was informed that, apparently, it's impossible to use any new smart phone (post 2008-manufactured or something) on their network without paying $30 a month for data, no exceptions. I said "I'm not paying an extra $360 a year for this" and went back to my old phone.

So now, I'm still using my old phone, I have a useless brick that I'm going to give back, and now I'm pissed at Verizon, and potentially every other network since it seemed like a common practice from what the rep said.

Also, why the hell put wifi on the phone if it requires an unlimited data plan? Verizon and ATT are having advertisement wars about how they both cover every square inch of the country with data service. So essentially, the only purpose of the wifi is to reduce Verizon's bandwidth costs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:44 pm 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

Not trying to ruin your parade here, but every cell network is like that bud. If you have a smartphone, you have to have a data package too. AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, at least the major carriers require it.

That being said, I'm with you on the whole WiFi thing. They SHOULD make it available without a data plan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:00 pm 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

What if I were to by a G1 for T-Mobile from like eBay, hack it, and not have a data plan - and just move my SIM card over? T-Mobile's 3G coverage sucks even worse (but the plan I'm on with my family is all I need :D)

AJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:43 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

bigtoyota479 wrote:
Not trying to ruin your parade here, but every cell network is like that bud. If you have a smartphone, you have to have a data package too. AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, at least the major carriers require it.

That being said, I'm with you on the whole WiFi thing. They SHOULD make it available without a data plan.

Yeah, I know they all do it, but it's absurd. The bill is already $100 for a few phones, and I have always provided my own phones for the last half-decade, never taking advantage of those "free" upgrades (where you add to your contract for 2 years, but I've been out of contract for around 4 years I think anyway). Now, I'm just changing phones again, and all I get is a big ole' middle finger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:50 pm 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

Yep. I'm right there with you bud. I'm an avid Verizon fan, though, so I just thought I'd point out that all carriers do that. I'm right there with you in the same boat bro, trust me on this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:06 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

bigtoyota479 wrote:
Yep. I'm right there with you bud. I'm an avid Verizon fan, though, so I just thought I'd point out that all carriers do that. I'm right there with you in the same boat bro, trust me on this one.

Yeah, and that's the worst thing too, I am pretty much a Verizon-loving, ATT-bashing fanboy because they have much better service in my area, and I've previously only had positive experiences with them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:20 pm 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

Yup, you're in the exact same boat my wife and I are in. However, she gets a discount because of the hospital she works at. If you or your spouse work at a large company, there may be some discounts you can get ahold of to make your bill more manageable.