Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: has anyone done this?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:05 pm 

i replaced the heatsink on my i7 and have the factory one just sitting around. i was thinking on cutting a hole in the case on the backside of the motherboard to cool the underside of the cpu/chipset. would this be worth the extra noise and trouble? it would definitely look cool. unfortunately the heatsink wouldn't be effective for anything but looks as it would not contact anything directly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:08 pm 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

To be honest, that would be utterly useless. You need to cool the surface of the chip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:14 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Well, I'm not too sure. The CM690 and some other case vendors are pressing holes and allowing fan mounts for the rear of the case. It takes a thin fan, but it's there.

I think they just saw that the spot was hot and figured "why not?". It's really iffy since it's probably just conducted heat and blowing air on a metal plate or bare silicon isn't going to do much anyway.

You can do it cause it shouldn't hurt one bit...but clean up your shavings well. A magnet while doing the job helps a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:42 pm 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

Chumly wrote:
Well, I'm not too sure. The CM690 and some other case vendors are pressing holes and allowing fan mounts for the rear of the case. It takes a thin fan, but it's there.

I think they just saw that the spot was hot and figured "why not?". It's really iffy since it's probably just conducted heat and blowing air on a metal plate or bare silicon isn't going to do much anyway.

You can do it cause it shouldn't hurt one bit...but clean up your shavings well. A magnet while doing the job helps a lot.

My spedo has room for a standard 120mm fan behind the CPU area :)

not sure what to do with it. right now, there is a thermal probe there.

Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:17 pm 

yea, as i said, unfortunately the heat sink would be useless, only the fan would evacuate heat. just figured it would be almost as hot on the backside of the board as well. i wouldn't bother if it wouldn't shave off a few degrees. and it probably wouldn't.

so, anyone found a use for the stock cooler? other than taking up room in my drawer?!? hahaha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:25 pm 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

these2boots wrote:
yea, as i said, unfortunately the heat sink would be useless, only the fan would evacuate heat. just figured it would be almost as hot on the backside of the board as well. i wouldn't bother if it wouldn't shave off a few degrees. and it probably wouldn't.

so, anyone found a use for the stock cooler? other than taking up room in my drawer?!? hahaha

paperweight mode?

:lol:

Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:53 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

You can send it to me. I'm not paying shipping though. :wink: