Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Using Ubuntu for file server purposes - some questions...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:58 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:17 pm
Posts: 1483
I know that Ubuntu has the Desktop version and the Server version. I'm looking to build a dual core file server for my home (to hold my videos, music, documents, etc).

Here are my questions regarding Ubuntu Desktop and/or Server:

1.) Does either of them implement an anti-virus program (or can you buy one to install)? If so, how good is it against fighting off viruses, malware, etc?

2.) Does either edition have a firewall app included with the OS? If so, how well does it work?

3.) Can you network (using peer-to-peer networking) a Ubuntu Desktop and/or Server machine with Windows machines? How about with Macs?

4.) Does either edition of Ubuntu have any type of media streaming apps (or something similar that can let you stream video to a TV or portable device, etc--or even something similar to Media Center in Windows)?

After all, this will be my home file server / media server system, so I want to be able to do all of this stuff if possible (stream media, access files, save documents, etc). At the bare minimum, it needs to be able to serve up files and have a good anti-virus and firewall program that's current and up-to-date. Suggestions?

(I'm mainly looking to Ubuntu because it's free versus Windows, but if I can't find what I want, I guess I'll have to go with Windows.)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:46 pm 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 7076
1. You don't need one with Linux. Period. Good luck finding one too, lol.

2. Yes it does, but if it's behind your home cable modem router, it won't be an issue.

3. Yes it will, but it's recommended to format the HD partition to NTFS.

4. Not sure, never used it for that before.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Using Ubuntu for file server purposes - some questions..
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:29 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:29 pm
Posts: 6328
Location: Far away from you
cbassett01 wrote:
1.) Does either of them implement an anti-virus program (or can you buy one to install)? If so, how good is it against fighting off viruses, malware, etc?


Clam and Antivir are the only ones I've ever used. They should be available in Ubuntu. AVG has a linux version also.

cbassett01 wrote:
2.) Does either edition have a firewall app included with the OS? If so, how well does it work?


I don't know of a distro that doesn't come with a firewall, so yes there is a firewall.

cbassett01 wrote:
3.) Can you network (using peer-to-peer networking) a Ubuntu Desktop and/or Server machine with Windows machines? How about with Macs?


Yes. Macs will probably connect via a CIFS connection and there's plenty of articles on how to connect via a windows machine or mac and how to share your stuff.

[quote="cbassett01"]4.) Does either edition of Ubuntu have any type of media streaming apps (or something similar that can let you stream video to a TV or portable device, etc--or even something similar to Media Center in Windows)?

There is, but I've never been impressed with any of them and don't use something like that enough. Maybe someone who does more with that will add to this. I suppose you can use VLC or MPEG4IP.

Personally, I'd probably go with the desktop version, unless there's truely something compelling you to get the server version....and no, the fact that it's branded as server is not a reason :)


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Using Ubuntu for file server purposes - some questions..
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:45 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:36 pm
Posts: 95
Google mythtv
Should also be in Ubuntu distro already.
My mythtv setup has one back-end (three tuners) and three front-ends.
The system connects to my Xp system and can display movies etc from it fine.
System automatically records cable, both SD and QAM channels. We tell it what shows and it only records what hasn't been recorded before, it keeps track of the shows it has already recorded. We can access listings/setting from any computer in the house via a web link. I have mythtv player on my vista laptop and it allows it to watch live tv and recordings from the back end. It works really well, remote works with each front-end. Very good ten-foot interface. Has Weather, browser, news feed. It can rip DVD's to single vob file.
All in all it has been worth it to me to dedicate older systems to Mythtv and stream video around the house. (by the way if i stop watching a show in the living room and move to the bedroom it knows where i left off and starts it there).


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Using Ubuntu for file server purposes - some questions..
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:20 am 
Team Member
Team Member
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:23 am
Posts: 4053
ceegee wrote:
Google mythtv
Should also be in Ubuntu distro already.
My mythtv setup has one back-end (three tuners) and three front-ends.
The system connects to my Xp system and can display movies etc from it fine.
System automatically records cable, both SD and QAM channels. We tell it what shows and it only records what hasn't been recorded before, it keeps track of the shows it has already recorded. We can access listings/setting from any computer in the house via a web link. I have mythtv player on my vista laptop and it allows it to watch live tv and recordings from the back end. It works really well, remote works with each front-end. Very good ten-foot interface. Has Weather, browser, news feed. It can rip DVD's to single vob file.
All in all it has been worth it to me to dedicate older systems to Mythtv and stream video around the house. (by the way if i stop watching a show in the living room and move to the bedroom it knows where i left off and starts it there).

Were you able to get TV listings working?
That has always been my issue.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:47 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:41 am
Posts: 11605
bigtoyota479 wrote:
1. You don't need one with Linux. Period. Good luck finding one too, lol.
>_< This is poor advice.
bigtoyota479 wrote:
2. Yes it does, but if it's behind your home cable modem router, it won't be an issue.
If you are using it on the desktop, try Firestarter. Makes configuring iptables easier, IMO.
bigtoyota479 wrote:
3. Yes it will, but it's recommended to format the HD partition to NTFS.
How well does MAC read NTFS?
bigtoyota479 wrote:
4. Not sure, never used it for that before.
If it is a fileshare that Windows can read, Windows can read from it, and stream from the share.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:46 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Posts: 24226
Location: Granite Heaven
CrashTECH wrote:
How well does MAC read NTFS?


The ability to read NTFS volumes was added in OSX 10.3

Should that be OSX.3? Or OS 10.3? OSX 10.3 seems repetitive. At any rate, OSX can read NTFS as of version 10.3


Top
  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

© 2014 Future US, Inc. All rights reserved.