Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: My first WC and mod build-in-one
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:48 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

As the title states, this is my first venture into water cooling and fairly heavy(as far as I'm concerned) modding all at the same time! :shock:

I have been collecting the various parts for the last, probably, six months. Been going over what I wanted to do, planning and such, for about that long. I either got a killer deal on a given item new, or got it 2nd hand from the various forums I am active in, Ebay, etc. So I paid "full price" for nothing here, much of the addon parts or "for looks" parts were free.

First, the parts list. As I said, some of these parts I have had for nearly a year, some things I picked up a few days ago. I have not done any OC'ing on the CPU yet, but it is running around 10c cooler.

Main hardware:
CPU: Intel E8400 core2duo lapped
Gfx: EVGA gtx260 core 216 55nm
EVGA 9600gso (thanks jerfle77 <3 )
mobo: ASUS Rampage Formula skt 775
HDD system drive: WD Raptor X 150gb
HDD storage drive: WD 1.5TB green drive
Optical: SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner SATA Model SH-S223F
RAM: 6gb Corsair Dominator ddr2
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932

Watercooling hardware (this was all new, paid 1/2 price):
Danger Den MC-TDX CPU water block
Magicool 3 Port Plexi/AGB Reservoir
2 x Aerocool Xtreme Turbine LED Case Fan 120mm
Black Ice Pro II Compact High Performance Radiator 120x2
Tygon 3603 1/2" ID (3/4" OD) Clear Tubing

And various clamps, fasteners, misc mumbo jumbo

pics to follow...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:49 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

Ok, I pretty much am doing this build around Maxxima brand LED lights. They make really sweet heavy duty truck lights, 18 wheel type trucks. So I aquired several examples of their lights, and incorporated them into my project.

First, the logo going into the right side panel by itself

now, after final clean up and paint on the panel. This logo was in a display which is where I got the light samples. It was LED backlit in the display, so I Dremel'd out a hole, detailed it out to fit, then screwed the whole works into place.

Last edited by mark_b_smith_II on Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:49 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

Ok, next up, I got this used Thermaltake flow meter. I knew it was for 3/8 tubing, but I hoped I would be able to get it to take 1/2 in barbs. I got it, and discovered that would not be the best of ideas. If I did make it work, there would be a pretty bad restriction, there are very small holes in the body of the meter. So, I decided that what I really wanted it for was the digital temp monitor. What to do? Cut the thing out of the body of the meter, drill a hole in the side of my fairly expensive reservoir, and epoxy the temp sender into it!

the sender and the wires actually was threaded into the body. I was able to remove that.

But I need that threaded part of the body for a solid place to have the sender mounted in the reservoir. I used a plastic reinforced Dremel wheel and just cut it out.

that took some time, then spent more with various wheels shaping it.

Heres the res with the hole drilled into the side of it. I first made a flat spot so the uni-bit I used would not skip all over the place.

I spent quite a bit of time researching what type of epoxy to get that would create a watertight seal. I got ACE hardware brand plastic repair epoxy. After it set, I left the res full of water by the sink overnight. No leaks.

Not the prettiest girl at the prom, but you won't notice it in the final build.

more to come...

Last edited by mark_b_smith_II on Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:50 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

Ok, now I mounted the Uber 655 pump in pretty much the only place a pump that big will go. Heres the holes I drilled, the pump has a spacer block that the mount screws pass through and I also put a piece of rubber between that and the case and got longer metric bolts. I put it off to the right so there would be space on the left for where the controller would be mounted on the grill section.

You can see the controller on the left of the panel

Now for the Raptor X drive. This is another part of the puzzle I have been waiting to get a hold of, since I had a sweet idea for what to do with it for some time now. It took a bit of time to get everything right to where I had the holes drilled correctly and matching each other to mount the drive in this way. I used an old dead HDD so I could write all over making measurements and making templates for the holes. So pretty much measure 20 times, drill once :)

I also cut strips of thick rubber belting and got black hex head screws to mount the HDD like this. In this pic I have the Rampage Formula board mounted, along with the 250mm reservoir. from messing with that res so many times, I broke both the acrylic mounts. Had to glue them back together, lol

now the neat part. I put masking tape on the inside of the left side panel, set it in place and from the other side of the case I marked on the panel the location of the HDD relative to the panel. Then with various measurements, laid out the pattern I wanted and cut out the hole in the panel. I tried to match the rounded edged of the other two openings in the panel, for some consistency.

Then I cut a rectangular piece of plexiglass and attached it inside the panel. You can see the reflections in the plexi.

Heres the final look of the panel, with the HDD in place. I decided to spray over the big HAF logo on the side. I know what the case is, lol

Here is an example of some of the LEDs that I'm using in the build.

I noticed along the way that the stock fan in the side panel had the provisions built in for LEDs. So what was this screaming for me to do?

Put LEDs in it of course! :D I happened to have a set of 4 already chained together with a switch that I scavenged out of an old case I got rid of.

Here is the end result of the side panel. Notice I mounted one light so it shines through the plexi that is in front of the HDD.

and then a dry run with just the PSU powered up to see the effect with the lights on the drive

and thats it for now! The final pics to come!

Last edited by mark_b_smith_II on Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:02 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Looking good man, can't wait to see it progress. What Dremel bit did you use to route the side panel?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:42 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

Updated 2nd post with more modding goodness :)

hurv wrote:
Looking good man, can't wait to see it progress. What Dremel bit did you use to route the side panel?

I used THIS bit. The steel of a computer case is no match for that bit. It was 8 or 9 bucks, but it ate right through that fairly heavy, good quality steel of the HAF case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:34 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

updated 3rd post 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:11 pm 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

mark_b_smith_II wrote:
updated 3rd post 8)

drools at modding awsomeness :lol:

Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:03 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

Ok, I finally got the finished pics done, in case anyone cares anymore, lol
Hope you guys like my first watercooled and modded rig [:)]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:41 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

Pretty sexy bro. I'd rock the hell out of it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:56 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Spider Monkey wrote:
Pretty sexy bro. I'd rock the hell out of it. :)

That's just sick and disgusting. I agree with you completely.

Nice work Mark, looks great, thanks for the pics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:32 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Wow I really dig the lights in there, good stuff amigo :D