Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Be cautious if you buy from CyberpowerPC!!!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:26 pm 

I just want to write this so that anyone looking to buy a new pc will be wary about buying from CyberpowerPC. I purchased a build your own system from them last OCT. During production I looked up the progress online to find little to no updates throughout the production of the PC (which they offer as a good reason to choose them) Anyway very near if not the day it was supposed to shipped they updated it adding some days to production time.

So I called to ask what the issue was. (If it were lack of a part I would have been willing to upgrade to speed production) They said that they were waiting on the Video card and it was supposed to be in tomorrow. At this time they informed me that they had also changed the motherboard as the one I had chosen was out of stock and no longer being produced. (They replaced it with another board no longer in production why these were even options on the build page is kind of beyond me but I'm not all that computer savvy) After consulting those that are far more knowledgeable than myself about computers 1 said the motherboard was roughly equal 2 said it was had to say but overall definitely not any better and it was a stretch to say it was equal. After some online research and a lengthy phone call I accepted the part change but stated that I was thoroughly disappointed that I hadn't been first informed about the issue and necessary change. After that the video card came in 3 days after they said it would.

(fast forward)

I receive the PC and within a few days notice the machine locking up, unable to do anything but hit the reset button when it would. Knowing a little about computers I start to log date, time, and what I’m doing when this happens. After, compiling a descent log and moving in Jan I contact CyberpowerPC about the issue. They have me do several things to test the ram which ruled out the RAM as the issue and then they had me send in the PC.

Never once interested in the log I made of the issue, this seemed strange to me as most professionals interested in solving customer issues seem to be very interested in such information.

They didn’t verify my address at anytime and commonsense (which isn’t so common apparently) would make me think they would return the item to the address it was sent from. (On the shipping label it shows the sender’s address not the business you ship it through. I mention this only because the rep said to me; quote, unquote “Its not like we would send it back to the shipping company!â€

Last edited by Snowboarder81 on Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:29 pm 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

Uh, would you mind using paragraph's and the return key a bit? No one will read this in it's current format, bud.

EDIT: Ah, SO much better! Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:47 pm 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

I'm a little confused as to the shipping issue, though. Did you not send it through your work or from your home? Why were they going to ship it across the country, or why did it have a different address on it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:50 pm 

I shipped it from a ups authorized shipping agent in my city on the label I filled out had to: (their address) and from: (my name and address)

After reading your question again I think I have a better answer.

I purchased it in OCT in Kentucky I shipped it to them after I moved to Colorado. They used the original shipping info rather than verifying my current info or using the return address on the label of the box sent to them.

Last edited by Snowboarder81 on Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:53 pm 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

Hmmm....that being the case, they should have shipped it back to your address as it was the one on the label and not a different one. I'm wondering if they got your PC mixed up with another one? Or is the address on your account with CyberPower different from the one on the shipping label? Like you ordered it and had it shipped to a school or something?

I've heard generally good things about this company, but everyone has their foul ups every now and then. Next time, ask us and we'll walk you through building your own!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:00 pm 

And to be totally honest this issue is relatively moot to me. I was most upset with the production were they changed parts without my knowledge and only told me after I started inquiring about why it was delayed.

It’s the principle that bothers me more than anything. Because my question is; if I hadn't asked would they have told me? Or is that how they do business? And so now it’s hard not to think them as a "shady" company.

And I'm not trying to tell people not to buy from them, just to be vigilant and aggressive with questions and monitoring the production.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:14 pm 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

I don't want you to think I'm questioning your experience, but when you buy from a large provider like that it happens. I was more curious as to your shipping issue. TBH, I have no experience buying from a company like this, as I've built every PC I've owned. The tech support and warranty part sucks because it's all on me, but it's worth it.

It definitely sucks. The replacement parts thing really is industry standard, as it typically says in their agreements that they will substitute a similar part of value and features without notification should the part you want be out of stock or no longer produced. Sorry to say, it's not uncommon at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:36 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

Well, TBH, what I see here is a pretty typical tech-support experience, and they don't seem to have done too bad a job. What does suck is that they delayed and made changes to your machine without telling you, and that is a legit concern. The rest though... everyone occasionally ships a lemon, and really, the customer service did not sound too bad at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:38 am 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

Screwing up someones shipping, after all the other issues the guy has had with them, is inexcusable. I agree with the OP that this is a totally jacked up situation.

We hear some of the very worst customer support experiences out there. While this guy's experience isn't as bad as the large majority of them, we cannot discount the fact that when a company makes the most basic of mistakes, it's still THEIR mistake.

Making him pay for half of it is pure bullshit. I'm sure that by the time he was contacted by a second person, this one a female....and don't think for a second that wasn't part of their overall plan to get him to capitulate; males agree more readily when a female is doing the asking than a male....he probably felt the situation was going to get much worse if he didn't go ahead and pay it. I don't like throwing $20-$30 out the damned window because of someones mistake any more than the next guy, but I would have probably done the same thing as he did just to get my expensive computer back to me for sure.

Overall, it has been a horrible customer service experience. Were I to place myself in the OP's shoes, I would be just as angry as he is.