Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: The Spam Filter is getting ridiculous!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:10 pm 

The filter pops up whenever I try to post a message in the comments section about 50% or the time now! Try mentioning AmZ or NE websites by name and poof! SPAM BLOCK. Must be that some of the sites advertisers must object or something.

Well, there are ways around this of course, so in the long run all it will do is force users to abbreviate and use codes or bitly web links.

Just shooting yourself in the foot, guys, for no good reason. The 300 lb gorilla of AmZ and NE will still be there if you block them or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:02 pm 
Million Club 5+ [PC]*
Million Club 5+ [PC]*

I should mention that if you take a certain time to post the spam filter will also kick in.

an easy way to avoid frustration is to just hit the back button. that way you edit your message to remove the offending links (or if time bit you you can just hit submit again)

if the links are really giving you a problem you can try using tinyurl

Last edited by Gailim on Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:43 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Beyond me. I read AmZ and NE, so that's some code for sites you've typed to hit a filter I guess.

Is there any reason that AmZ or NE would be filtered? More to the point, is it crucial to the point of the post that they need mentioning in order to get it across the users?

I think this is self curable vise the mag or forum fixing filters. Posting is poetic; describe a rose without saying thorn, flower, or it's color. When you do, the idea is still put across and is usable. More usable than suggesting brands of Software I'm sure.

"Here, DL this...this is what you need". Crackheads do that same thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:44 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

Gailim wrote:
an easy way to avoid frustration is to just hit the back button. that way you edit your message to remove the offending links (or if time bit you you can just hit submit again)

That is browser dependent bro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:38 am 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

Chumly wrote:
Is there any reason that AmZ or NE would be filtered?

Not to my knowledge; we certainly have nothing against either of those marketplaces.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:41 pm 

That damn spam filter just started hitting me a few weeks ago, and it will not let up. I get it two out of three posts, and I never post links to anything. In one case, I spent the time to narrow it down to the word "Sprint". And it was a post talking about cell phone carriers. I'm done posting in comments to the articles, it's just not worth the frustration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:51 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Tekzel wrote:
That damn spam filter just started hitting me a few weeks ago, and it will not let up. I get it two out of three posts, and I never post links to anything. In one case, I spent the time to narrow it down to the word "Sprint". And it was a post talking about cell phone carriers. I'm done posting in comments to the articles, it's just not worth the frustration.

I'm with you on this. I cannot make legitmate intelligent comments on a an article but others can post the F-bomb without issue. I am done with the forums and problaby soon with the mag as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:52 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Tekzel has one post, and his spam filter was giving him trouble a few weeks ago.

Two accounts? What's actually wrong with the post? You need links to talk for you? That's not a founded forum payed for and hosted off a corperation...that's FaceBook...give it a shot.

Could you relate what the link said in your own words? Sure ya can...work that grey matter.
big_montana wrote:
I'm with you on this. I cannot make legitmate intelligent comments on a an article but others can post the F-bomb without issue. I am done with the forums and problaby soon with the mag as well.
You can say "Fuck" once or twice...but not more than that. Put it in there more than thrice, it's obviously not intelligent. Just don't put any of the 7 known words in thread titles, and then keep it toned in the thread.

I've used "fuck" twice...and am done. If you use it more, that's not good. It's too broad and there's other words too use when not in anger. Can't exactly justify every member turning this place into a George Carlin show. I'm a sailor and have a nasty verbiage. I can't overuse that lingo hear any more than low-Dickey thugs use in their daily life either. This is another world...a world built on intellect.

Try "flarn" if all else fails. If it works for Bill Cosby...beats asking grandma to pass the F'ing Peas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:22 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Yeah, I tried the "fuck" trick, but I still can't seem to post anything remotely intelligent because of the spam filter. I'm beginning to think its working against us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:32 am 
Chief Surgeon
Chief Surgeon

I took the liberty of e-mailing Jon to get someone on this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:12 am 
Northwood
Northwood

Haha, I didn't know what you were talking about, but then, I post my first comment since a few weeks ago, and it gets blocked by the filter, so I have to send in the feedback/box thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:41 am 
Klamath
Klamath

At this point, I can't post anymore comments without the spam-filter saying "fuck you" in a non-literal sense. Why can't the web team simply implement a simple math question program, or a picture naming program that gives verification that the end-user is indeed not a spam bot. A Captcha system doesn't work because people sometimes have a hard time seeing the letters/numbers, and robots are always able to figure it out.

My example of a spam filtering system..

Math program: To post a comment

What is 30 divided by 2? (Insert answer)

After user enters correct information, the comment is posted on the website.

Picture program: To post a comment

What is this a picture of?

Examples might include an apple, orange, grape, etc. The comment is posted after naming the correct item, such as described above.

My idea may have already been tested, and has proven to not be able to work, but I'm betting spam bots haven't been taught to add numbers, or name a picture they see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:16 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

agreed on the spam filter on the main page. It definitely seems to be worse lately. I didn't have any links just commentary and it blocked it, left the site tried again with a more condense version and it was still blocked.

It's all goin' to hell in a handbasket since Will left :'(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:42 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Quote:
It's all goin' to hell in a handbasket since Will left :'(

Oh, please, do not begin to spat the end of MxPC just yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:47 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I just discovered that the MaximumPC Website Spam Filter is an Apple Product. ;)

BTW someone deleted my F-Bomb message that I posted in regards to the Spam Filter that the Spam Filter did not filter out.

With a few of us Users that are constantly posting to articles that have the ability to remove spam from the site MPC could just get rid of the spam filter altogether. Make spam filtering a community effort.

I'll do it. I visit the site alot. I figure at any given moment there is someone visiting the site looking for articles that would have no problem in fighting spam. We just need a set of rules to abide by. And old articles should have a life span. What I mean is a point where the article becomes closed and unpostable. Right now I can go to every article on the site and make a post. How many people actually read articles from two years ago? Why would anyone post to an article thats two or three years old?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:17 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

When was the last time that any of us actually saw a spam post that was created by a spam bot? I have never seen one before, or after the implementation of the spam-filter software.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:34 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I sent an email off to Justin Kerr and asked him to forward it to someone that would listen. Don't know if anything is going to come from it though.

Post subject: new victim of canned potted meat filter
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:45 am 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

Your posting was blocked by our spam filter.

Your posting on Maximum PC from (not my ip it displayed but removed anyway) has been automatically flagged by our spam filters as being inappropriate for this website.

At Maximum PC we work very hard behind the scenes to keep our web pages free of spam. Unfortunately, sometimes we accidentally block legitimate content. If you are attempting to post legitimate content to this website, you can help us to improve our spam filters by emailing the following information to a site administrator:

Report spam filter error.

guess it dont like you pointing out that something is wrong

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:47 am 

I am so glad it doesn't take me hours to write up what I post. The filter would have driven me nuts long ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:25 pm 

I quit trying to give feedback. Infact my viewing has decreased because I can't give feedback. One day I'm filtered for spam, the next day I'm not.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next