Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:32 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

tugboat_2 wrote:
I will say this, MS Security Essentials did not horse around. It was; blam, here's your warning message. Then while I said to myself "oh shit what now?"; blam, a message saying threats stopped and removed. No if's, and's, or's, or but's about it.

I've had that happen, and I do NOT like it one bit. It needs to give me a choice. I've had it remove NON-infected, and important, files from my machine before, like some executables, such as steam.exe amongst others. I use legit keyloggers and such on @ least 1 other pc to ensure security of my network, and it wanted to remove it from the system. Mind you, this was NOT a virus, spyware, etc., and did not affect the system in any harmful way, but mse saw it as bad n wanted to remove it, simply due to it's activity. I couldn't do anything to get it to leave me alone about them either, whereas with AVG, Adaware, etc., I CAN and do utilize those options. Nonetheless, Avira still sucks major ass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:02 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

ya know, you can just tell MSE to ignore the executable and it'll be fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:39 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Spartacus wrote:

I tried that and it didn't work. It kept doing it anyway, even after I updated. I just got tired of messing with it. Not to mention, it wasn't always the same files, it was random stuff. I'm not willing to go through my 100+ apps and set them every time it wants me to erase them, just cuz it's too retarded to listen to me or to be smart from the get-go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:47 am 
Team Member
Team Member

PM_DMNKLR wrote:
Spartacus wrote:

I tried that and it didn't work. It kept doing it anyway, even after I updated. I just got tired of messing with it. Not to mention, it wasn't always the same files, it was random stuff. I'm not willing to go through my 100+ apps and set them every time it wants me to erase them, just cuz it's too retarded to listen to me or to be smart from the get-go.

Are you sure we are talking about the same program??

Like I said, I have installed on 20+ systems here at work and I've NEVER run into that before.
I'm not saying it will never happen but you say it like it happens all of the time...that just can't be the case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:06 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

Quakindude wrote:
@SM, damned son. How long did you spend Googling to find that info? :lol: :wink:

Zero. I have a bro one IM away at all times for when I need that info.

I surround myself with people who know things, so I don't have to put forth effort into anything. You should know that about me by now. ;)

LOLZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:09 am 

-Lawless wrote:
PM_DMNKLR wrote:
Spartacus wrote:

Are you sure we are talking about the same program??

Like I said, I have installed on 20+ systems here at work and I've NEVER run into that before.
I'm not saying it will never happen but you say it like it happens all of the time...that just can't be the case.
Bro, he's bitching about a program because he was too stupid to figure out how to make it work. Arguing with that is pointless. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:10 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

If anyone is still confused, MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) is a free anit-virus software that is far better than the paid for Live OneCare which has been discontinued. OneCare was very bad with poor detection rates among other things. MSE on the other hand, is simple to use, excellent detection rate and is free. It is hands down in my opinion the best AV program, I use it personally and I recommend it to others as well.

You can get it here and try it out for yourself. It was initially released September of last year so it is fairly new but there is a rogue imitation of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:00 am 
team psycho or sumthin
team psycho or sumthin

Airheadq wrote:
If anyone is still confused, MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) is a free anit-virus software that is far better than the paid for Live OneCare which has been discontinued. OneCare was very bad with poor detection rates among other things. MSE on the other hand, is simple to use, excellent detection rate and is free. It is hands down in my opinion the best AV program, I use it personally and I recommend it to others as well.

Installed it and like it, for the most part, I do have two major gripes though...

1. It changed my Windows auto update setting, it tells you but will not let you not opt-out of this, had to change it back manually.

2. It invokes CardSpace, IMO, at this point it is useless and does nothing but suck up resources when I launch my browser, I had to disable it, no opt-out during install which is pure bullshit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:38 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

We have to give Microsoft accolades with MSE. Altho it isn't included on the O/S disc, like McAfee A/V was back in the dark days of Win95 they have included something that works very well. I'm just curious as to who wrote MSE, meaning which company MS worked out an agreement with to use it.
WE all know MS isn't in the software protection business.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:40 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

drainbread wrote:
Installed it and like it, for the most part, I do have two major gripes though...

1. It changed my Windows auto update setting, it tells you but will not let you not opt-out of this, had to change it back manually.

2. It invokes CardSpace, IMO, at this point it is useless and does nothing but suck up resources when I launch my browser, I had to disable it, no opt-out during install which is pure bullshit.

1. My autoupdate settings are set to manual, Action Center says it an issue but I just ignore it.

2. You can disable the CardSpace service, however, I never got that message.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:43 am 
team psycho or sumthin
team psycho or sumthin

Airheadq wrote:
drainbread wrote:

1. My autoupdate settings are set to manual, Action Center says it an issue but I just ignore it.

2. You can disable the CardSpace service, however, I never got that message.

1. I've had auto update turned off since that bullshit a couple of years back when they forced everybody to update something, even those that were just set to alert, I manually check for updates every couple of days anyway.

2. Tis very sneeky, it doesn't tell you, you have to dig through task manager to even see it is running.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:31 pm 
team psycho or sumthin
team psycho or sumthin

Found another flaw, I was downloading a podcast archive and got an alert, I chose to allow it so I could check the file later...

History doesn't give the file name, this is a major flaw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:36 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

When it detects something, click to show the detection/information screen. At the bottom it says "Show Details." There it gives information about whats being detected, where the file is downloaded to as well as where it was downloaded from. So, yes it does show the file name. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:48 am 
team psycho or sumthin
team psycho or sumthin

Airheadq wrote:
When it detects something, click to show the detection/information screen. At the bottom it says "Show Details." There it gives information about whats being detected, where the file is downloaded to as well as where it was downloaded from. So, yes it does show the file name. :?

It doesn't show it in the history.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:00 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

drainbread wrote:
Airheadq wrote:

In the history, highlight the virus or whatever, and then scroll the details down (at the very bottom). Should be listed under "Items:."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:23 pm 
team psycho or sumthin
team psycho or sumthin

Airheadq wrote:
drainbread wrote:
Airheadq wrote:

In the history, highlight the virus or whatever, and then scroll the details down (at the very bottom). Should be listed under "Items:."

IT DOESN'T FUCKING GO UP TO 11!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:02 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

I agree MSE is a great striped down a/v,plus it never nags :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:45 pm 

Panda cloud also does not nag :!:

Post subject: Re: Avira, you fail at life...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:34 am 
Willamette
Willamette

CrashTECH wrote:
How come with the free edition I get bombarded with Avira pop-ups trying to sell me their "pro" versions? It was so annoying I removed Avira and went back to AVG. Seriously, no other free AV is that annoying.

I've only seen maybe 1 or 2 per day, mainly during updates. But I've never gotten bombarded with popups. It may not be the best AV out there, and AVG might be better, but a while back MaxPC gave it a good rating for the free version, mainly for its detection speed and ratio (which was pretty much on par with AVG and other freebies).

I personally don't like using the free versions, unless it's on a strictly Internet-only machine where NO data is kept. Then I don't care: AVG or Avira. but for everything else, it's a good quality paid Internet Security Suite for me.

Although AVG doesn't nag, the little thing at the bottom does get annoying, and when they release a new version, then you start getting the occasional popup, which can be bothersome at times.