Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: ASUS G72GX-A1, Overheating? Other feedback? -Long Post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:11 pm 

Hello, I'm looking for anyone who may have had any experiences with the ASUS G72GX-A1 model laptop. In particular, I'm concerned about any feedback on overheating in this model, as I'm considering purchasing one and that is my primary concern. From what I read about it, it only has one fan and I find that a bit troubling.

A little background to give perspective; I purchased an Alienware laptop some 5 years ago and it was a very regrettable experience. I decided to go all out, and in my ignorance purchased a $3k laptop that was, at the time, top of the line. It wasn't very long before the laptop began experiencing issues, the biggest of which was due to overheating. The machine was too powerful for it's own good, and crippled itself because of it.

The aforementioned laptop is currently in an unusable state, and due to tax season the option to purchase a replacement has finally presented itself. I'm trying to be very cautious this time around and not dive head first into a purchase that will be a waste in 1-2 years, I want something that will last me for some time to come.

The usage of said laptop would primarily be for playing certain choice games when I'm at other locations (most prominently of which would be the upcoming PAX East convention I will be attending). I have no intention of playing the absolute latest games. I enjoy going back to older games such as Diablo, and Starcraft and the like, which just about any laptop these days would be able to run. In addition, I'm a fan of MMO's and am currently playing EVE and ST:O in particular. These would likely be the most heavy duty applications I will be running. It is important to note however that I would like to be able to run these games at their maximum settings.

It could also serve some work purposes as well. I am a programmer by trade and having a go between from work and home could be a nice option, but I don't think that would require anything particularly heinous in the hardware department.

The G72GX seems to be a great fit for my needs. It comes with a quad core, which I have been very pleased with the quad core in my desktop machine. It's no I7 or anything, but I don't believe that an I7 is really required for what I will be using the laptop for. Also, my logic (which may very well be quite flawed) is that while the quad core is less powerful then the I7, hopefully that also means it puts off less heat. Probably the biggest reason I chose this model is the screen size. A friend of mine has a similar model to this laptop with a 15 inch screen and it just felt too small for me. This model has a 17 inch screen which sounds much more suitable.

This laptop also has an nVidia GeForce GTX 260M 1,024MB PCI-Express GDDR3 DX10 graphics card. I think this will again be more then sufficient for my requirements. I intend to purchase the highest grade thermal paste for both the cpu and gpu in the hopes of lowering heat output and compensating for only having one fan.

Also, I went with a solid state drive for my primary. Initially I wanted this for IO concerns, but after reevaluating I think it may be overkill with the 6 gigs of ram the machine will have available. I wonder though, does an SSD output less heat then a normal 7200 RPM drive? Would the difference be considerable, especially considering the single fan and cpu/gpu setup? The SSD adds about $500 to the total price of the laptop, and is responsible for bringing it up over the $2k range. I'm willing to spend that much money though if it is actually worth the gain.

Sorry for the long post, but I want to be thorough and try to maximize the ability to evaluate this potential purchase. In summation, given the upgraded thermal paste (which is IC Diamond Thermal Compound by the way) and the chosen Quad Core (Intel® Q9000 45nm "Montevina" Core™2 Quad 2.0GHz w/6MB L2 On-die cache - 1066MHz FSB) and Graphics Card (nVidia GeForce GTX 260M 1,024MB PCI-Express GDDR3 DX10), does anyone have any idea whether heating would still be an issue on this model?

For reference, here is a link to the model in question http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g72gxa1-p-2722.html

I appreciate any feedback.

Full system specs as I currently intend to order it:
ASUS G72GX-A1 - http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g72gxa1-p-2722.html
- 17.3" FHD 16:9 "Glare Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright LED Glossy Screen (1920x1080)-
- -Intel® Q9000 45nm "Montevina" Core™2 Quad 2.0GHz w/6MB L2 On-die cache - 1066MHz FSB - Default
- IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU (Cools better than all Compounds)
- nVidia GeForce GTX 260M 1,024MB PCI-Express GDDR3 DX10
- - 6,144MB (6GB) DDR2 800MHz Dual Channel Memory (3x2GB)
- - 4X Blu-Ray Reader / 8X DVDRW/CDRW Super Multi Combo Drive - Standard
- - 160GB Intel G2 X25-M Solid State Drive (SSD Serial-ATA II)
- - 500GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Buffer (Serial-ATA II 3GB/s) - Default
- Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
- Full Size Black Aluminum Notebook Cooler - Dual Fans - USB Powered (For up to 17" Laptops)
- Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit w/System Recovery + Drivers & Utilities Disks
- 3 Year ASUS U.S. Warranty, 24/7 Support, 1 Year Accidental Coverage & 2-Way Pre-Paid Shipping for Repairs (N.A. Accidental Requires Registration w/ ASUS)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:30 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

I have an Asus G50 and they can get pretty toasty. Its cooled by one massive heatpipe and one fan out of one vent. Out of the box, its was cool and ran well. After a few months it started overheating and what not. Turns out, the fan was getting clogged with dust, so I clean it out and temps were back to normal.

This is my experience with the G-series. You have a 17 inch, so a larger chassis meaning you can move more air. Of the things I've done to keep it running cool and stable is to first clean it out every couple of week halting dust build up, getting a laptop cooler and undervolting my CPU. Not to mention the amazing warranties on ASUS laptops if the shit ever hits the fan.

SSDs do output less heat then the standard drive, but the HD (in my model) is away from the CPU and GPU so SSD are mainly used for performance reasons usually. However, the HD is under the palm rest so that part can get a bit warm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:05 pm 

Airhead,

Thanks for your response. I'm glad to hear that you find the heat dissipation acceptable on your model, even if it isn't a direct comparison. It makes me a bit more confident in ordering the laptop.

I do think I will go with the SSD, partly because of your comments about the drop in heat, but also becuase everything I hear points to a significant performance gain. I think the cost will be worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:03 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Also another note is to be weary of where your fan grills are. Blocking any of them can raise the temps and blocking a major one can cause problems. From the looks of your laptop from pictures only, your exhaust is behind your laptop so I wouldn't place it too close to a wall. Also "lifting" your laptop helps too. Air is usually taken from the bottom, and lifting it give it more cooler air to work with.