Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:52 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

How long do you think you are going to get by with that scotch tape holding those fans? What do you think might happen to all that expensive hardware when one or both of them come crashing down and start bouncing around. Think they might damage some of those miniscule resistors and transistors exposed on that video card?

I'll bet if you look in the manual/installation guide it will show you how to mount them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:16 pm 

tugboat_2 wrote:
How long do you think you are going to get by with that scotch tape holding those fans? What do you think might happen to all that expensive hardware when one or both of them come crashing down and start bouncing around. Think they might damage some of those miniscule resistors and transistors exposed on that video card?

I'll bet if you look in the manual/installation guide it will show you how to mount them.

Lol man, I wouldn't worry about that. I have made sure that single fan will not fall off the heatsink, and even if it did, it would cause almost no damage whatsoever. It is about a half inch drop, and they are very stable. As for doing it correctly, by the book, I have the clips attached, I just have the tape on because on of the clips on the left fan in shaky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:12 pm 

Well now I'm going to Home Depot later to buy a holesaw. Anyone want to suggest one to buy? Also, how should I go about making the holes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:20 pm 

Well, I don't see the one I used and it's been so long I can't remember the exact size. I know I bought a pack of them, and used the 3 1/2 or 4 inch one.

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware ... ogId=10053

You need a good drill with high torque, too. MAKE SURE you remove every single thing from your case, as cutting through the metal will fling fillings all over. I taped cloth over the 250mm top fan to prevent debris getting in there and later falling back down to short-circuit my motherboard.

And by god, clean every single filling out after you're done. Used compressed air.

EDIT: I used a bit sander to smooth out the edges of my holes. They're like nine dollars. Don't want to cut your cables.

Drill on one side of the case until you feel like you're 4/5ths of the way through, then flip it over and finish the cutout from the other side. It's a cleaner hole that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:40 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Danthrax66 wrote:
The problem is the psu mount on the antec has it so the power cables come out near the side panel
there's no hole there currently?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:12 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Chumly wrote:
there's no hole there currently?

As you can see here, strangely there isn't. I find it rather odd myself.