Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Why...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:10 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Hey all, was wondering if there was anything that i can do in the time being for this. yesterday when i got on my computer to use the internet, working like normal. But after maybe 10 minutes of usage i walked away for a few minutes and it wasn't working at all. the DSL modem was giving me a red light for the DSL. So after doing the power cycle thing, restarting my computer, checking the wires. I called AT&T(my service provider) and the earliest that they can come to look at it is on monday! which is really annoying because i have work to do on the computer! The only way i have it working right now is i have a long 100ft wire hooked into the same phone jack as it was originally, plugged into a adapter, which is plugged into the DSL filter, and then to the phone and the computer. it didn't work until hours later after many resets and cursing! it started working really good but only with safari for windows, firefox is painfully slow. But whenever i download anything from any web site, it is a painful 40KBs or lower, I have 6MBs internet, and normal is over 612KBs. just to download a 10MB file from work, it took over an hour to complete. but yet watching videos on HULU, Netflix and youtube, it works just fine for the most part. Yesterday and once today it seemed the modem was constantly losing connection, it would be all green, then the DSL light would go red. Then it would take ten minutes to start working! is there any way i can get it to work, i have a feeling that its something to do with AT&T's end. Although i noticed down the street a AT&T box was open with wires out, i saw it like that weeks ago. It rained a lot yesterday, maybe that may of screwed the connection up? Any ideas?? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:05 pm 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

I really don't know what to tell you other than a neighbor had a similar problem so I went over and we screwed with it. Phone lines in the house looked good so I moved outside where box at entry to residence was severely corroded so completely cleaned that up. There was considerable improvement but it still sucked. I suggested he call AT&T as I am not into pole climbing anymore. :)

Took a week and they showed up. Junction box on pole was aged, water damaged and those connections corroded. They fixed that and things worked fine. Good DSL relies very heavily on signal quality and strength. What pisses me off is AT&T had no problem sending the neighbor a DSL Do It Yourself kit but they have no clue what the actual signal looks like at the residence. Then it takes forever to get the bastards out to actually look at things.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:21 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Yea...I had an instance once with my service (not AT&T, but Qwest), and it turned out to be a nicked wire grounding in the box...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:10 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Reloadron wrote:
I really don't know what to tell you other than a neighbor had a similar problem so I went over and we screwed with it. Phone lines in the house looked good so I moved outside where box at entry to residence was severely corroded so completely cleaned that up. There was considerable improvement but it still sucked. I suggested he call AT&T as I am not into pole climbing anymore. :)

Took a week and they showed up. Junction box on pole was aged, water damaged and those connections corroded. They fixed that and things worked fine. Good DSL relies very heavily on signal quality and strength. What pisses me off is AT&T had no problem sending the neighbor a DSL Do It Yourself kit but they have no clue what the actual signal looks like at the residence. Then it takes forever to get the bastards out to actually look at things.

Ron

That all make sense! I decided to run a really long (100ft telephone wire) to the box outside, and its working but when its not i have to restart my computer, not the box and firefox isn't working nor IE, only Safari which i downloaded when IE actually worked yesterday. But its really slow. I did call AT&T yesterday and the Earliest they can get someone out here is monday, late monday i might add. I would think that if you are paying for the their high end service they would rush out and fix it quick, but no there customer support sucks! Although, there was once when it was slow or no connectivity (like now) they came out 4 hours later and the guy didn't even know why he was here until i explained to him the problem then he did a test to the modem and the lines, all was clear and he plugged it all back in (not that i couldn't do it) and it worked! All this problems started 4 days ago when i decided to upgrade to the highest DSL until i can afford the deposit on Uverse, and since the upgrade i've had two good days of internet service, other then that its been really horrible, i'm about to get my money back and get Charter Cable even though there no better but at least where i am now they are much more dependable. But also i did notice that a ATT box one of many was open with cables on the ground weeks ago and it stayed like that, i guessed it didnt effect anyones service, but then we had about 2ft of snow one day and then its rained non stop since. maybe thats effected it? don't ya just hate how we have to pay so much for really Shitty service!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:37 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Update: an AT&T tech came over yesterday and took a look at me internet and phone service. According to him i'm not able to receive 6MB internet service after paying for it a whole month, but only able to use it for 2 weeks and having to wait almost a week for a person to look at it. I also found out that the phone jack in which my internet is plugged into was broken but still working. He got it all working did a speed test and then told me that i may only be able to use 1.5-2.0mb of my 3mb internet connection. So furious with AT&T i called them, told them what i knew and they said that they were sorry, i said that i wanted to cancel or in some way receive compensation. they had to have the manager call me back. so in the 4 hours it took for a manager to call me, i called Charter our local Cable company that provides cheaper service! I called them told them about my problems with AT&T and that i was thinking about switching. They told me some packages. I also have Directv with AT&T and i just want to leave AT&T as much as i do like Directv. But Charter offers 8MB internet+ 200 Channels DVR + Unlimited calling for 124.97 a month. Currently i'm paying AT&T and directv almost $200 for worse Internet, no DVR. Although the phone service works just fine! But i figured i will just switch cause i've had to be on the phone way too many times in the past 6 months that i've had them! But now what is really annoying is that i want to end service with them and get my Most recent payment back because it was only 4 days ago i paid them for having a horrible month, they said that someone will be calling me that can investigate me case within 24 to 48 hours so far its been about 32 hours since i called them. and still no one. Horrible service even if its because i'm deciding to go with the competition! Any thoughts on this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:06 am 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

Thanks for posting back with what happened. Based on your description I had a bad feeling about signal quality. I have cable and we love it. From the day it was available around here we got it. There was no DSL available at the time. Over 8 years I can count the glitches (all quickly resolved) on one hand. Not to say all cable is great but Time Warner where we are has worked well for us.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:42 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Reloadron wrote:
Thanks for posting back with what happened. Based on your description I had a bad feeling about signal quality. I have cable and we love it. From the day it was available around here we got it. There was no DSL available at the time. Over 8 years I can count the glitches (all quickly resolved) on one hand. Not to say all cable is great but Time Warner where we are has worked well for us.

Ron

Thanks ron, i was pretty furious when the tech told me i could have what i was paying for. But i'm annoyed now cause i'm still waiting for AT&T to call me back about getting me refund and shutting down my service. I've had cable before. there was one year where we were hit hard with so much snow and of course it was super bowl day, by having cable i wasn't worried i was glad because then i wouldn't have to leave the house! But it wasn't so awesome when neighbors and friends started coming to my house cause they all had dish or directv! I hate the fact that we got Directv but charter wasn't available at our previous house so we got AT&T. But now that its Available the only prob is with getting rid of this stupid DSL. Lol that reminds me when DSL first came an area in Oregon that i was in for a few years, before it was just dial-up then they got DSL and it was Amazing, its sad how they still haven't experienced Cable!