DSL 3MB+ 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Cable (Such as Charter, Comcast..etc) 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
Wireless providers (Verizon, Sprint, Clearwire etc..) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4
 Post subject: Slow....?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:29 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Hello, i had a question for everyone. I have AT&T high speed internet, i guess its known as DSL. I first got the 3MB internet but after a couple months decided to go up to the fastest speed of 6MB because it was only $5 more now that AT&T raised there rates. But since switching 4 days ago, not including the 2 days it took for them to process the order. It was fast for the first few hours and then it got really slow, downloads went from 612KB/s to under 150KB/s, before with the 3MB internet i was getting 250KB/s to 312KB/s! I have AT&T for about 4 months and has been good other then the hidden fees and raised rates. But i'm not sure weather to call them because 2 months ago i had the same problem only worse with the 3MB internet connection and for some reason they sent a tech out to look at the lines, and he didn't even know why he was there if it was because it was slow. He suggested that it could have been the server that i was downloading from, when it was everywhere and streaming videos for netflix, hulu and youtube were slow. My guess is that its the modem, the way i have it connected is with a dynex wireless router that is at least 3 years old, still works! I didn't want to get the their wireless modem because of the price and because i have a wireless router that i only use the wireless every now and then. my main system is wired. I'm not sure weather to call AT&T or if its another problem? Thank you for your help!

I did a speed test, i think this is the thing for it...

And to the otherside of the world..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:38 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Say what you want about Comcast (and it won't be anything that I haven't already said), but I can't complain about the performance. This is pretty typical of what I get, and its better than what I'm paying for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:02 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

alan2308 wrote:
Say what you want about Comcast (and it won't be anything that I haven't already said), but I can't complain about the performance. This is pretty typical of what I get, and its better than what I'm paying for.

I've never had comcast, i was mainly saying that i've heard they are the same as charter, which is what i have in my area.

Update: as soon as i plugged my internet box into my computer instead of the router i have it became fast all the time, although the speed by numbers is always fluctuating which i'm sure thats just the server on the other end...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:32 pm 

Hi there,
I check my internet speed here http://www.ip-details.com/internet-speed-test/ and keep it updated now and then.
Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:57 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

hottwink wrote:
Hi there,
I check my internet speed here http://www.ip-details.com/internet-speed-test/ and keep it updated now and then.
Cheers!

Thank you! I will use that one too.

Update on internet: Well after Upgrading to the 6MB internet. I was only able to use it for two days before it stopped working, so of course i called AT&T from my cell because the phone was out too. They sent a tech out 4 days later and he told me that i couldn't use the 6MB internet cause i was 11,000 feet away from the nearest box, which is weird cause there is a bunch of AT&T Boxes on the other side of my house. But he said that at most i was getting 4.8MB of speed.

The tech also noticed that my phone jack was broken on the inside, so he replaced it and then said that i had to go back down to the 3MB speed and that even then i may not even get the full speed cause of how (not) far i am from the box.

So Furious with that, i Called AT&T and told them what the Tech said and they said that can sometimes happen (I was also told that i couldn't get Uverse from the tech, they said i could). They really need to get their S*** together!

I will now be switching to Charter because they offer 8MB internet for $10 less then i would be paying for 6MB internet with AT&T, they also offer HD DVR and unlimited phone service, even though its more then i'm paying for with AT&T for internet and phone its less then i'm paying for all three with Charter!