Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:52 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

Spartacus wrote:
It's not quite the same thing... would you forgo a bigger hard drive because you can just throw stuff in your DropBox?

I don't know. What is my DropBox?
You're right... who would ever want to connect peripherals or add physical storage to their device after all?[/quote]

Maybe someone that liked to do things the hard way?

Quote:
I apologize for disagreeing with you.

Huh? That made about as much sense as comparing a iPad to a netbook...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:55 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Spider Monkey wrote:
CrashTECH wrote:
Having thought about it a bit more... I guess my issue is not with the iPad itself. More so the price. The most basic only gives you 16GB and will cost you $500. If it included a card reader and had 32GB I'd be more on board with it. I'd pay $550 for one at that price with those two changes.

The resolution is kind of depressing... I had hoped for at least 1280x800.
There is more to life than memory.

Wise words .. I'll have to remember them.

c:\users\jipstyle\audio\rimshot.mp3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:00 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Spartacus wrote:
Spider Monkey wrote:
Spartacus wrote:
There's an app for expanding the hard drive size?

Yea, its called ORB.

It's not quite the same thing... would you forgo a bigger hard drive because you can just throw stuff in your DropBox?

I wouldn't forgo a piece of networked hardware that lacks storage space because it is networked.

My iPhone has 8GB and it doesn't lack space. The iPad runs the same OS and the base model comes with twice as much space. Given that I won't be filling it with my MP3s (they are on my phone) and that apps are tiny in comparison to the bloated apps found on PCs, I'm not really worried about space.

Quote:
Quote:
No, a USB and Sd ports would be useless considering what I already said, and WTF wants a camera the size of a book???

You're right... who would ever want to connect peripherals or add physical storage to their device after all?

Exactly. I don't want to have a camera on a pad this size .. it'd be hella awkward. There is already an adaptor announced for memory cards but physical storage is not something that I require in this device .. see above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:23 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

Jipstyle wrote:
Spartacus wrote:
Spider Monkey wrote:
Spartacus wrote:
There's an app for expanding the hard drive size?

Yea, its called ORB.

I wouldn't forgo a piece of networked hardware that lacks storage space because it is networked.

My iPhone has 8GB and it doesn't lack space. The iPad runs the same OS and the base model comes with twice as much space. Given that I won't be filling it with my MP3s (they are on my phone) and that apps are tiny in comparison to the bloated apps found on PCs, I'm not really worried about space.

Quote:
Quote:
No, a USB and Sd ports would be useless considering what I already said, and WTF wants a camera the size of a book???

You're right... who would ever want to connect peripherals or add physical storage to their device after all?

Exactly. I don't want to have a camera on a pad this size .. it'd be hella awkward. There is already an adaptor announced for memory cards but physical storage is not something that I require in this device .. see above.

You're proving my point further. I never said the iPad sucks. I said it's no good for my uses, and as such it would be a shitty gadget for me. I don't know why you two jumped down my throat for saying that. I like having a webcam to carry with my laptop, it's great for skype, and my next portable device purchase will certainly have an integrated webcam. You guys don't want a camera on something like that. Cool, iPad works for you, not for me. I want to be able to chuck my music and some movies on whatever I'm going to be carrying around with me... you guys don't. Again, great for you guys, not so great for me. I'm also not interested in the touchscreen. Are you starting to see why I'm not going to buy the iPad? If you guys buy it, I trust that it would suit your uses of an ultraportable device fine. For me, not so much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:44 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Spartacus wrote:
You're proving my point further. I never said the iPad sucks. I said it's no good for my uses, and as such it would be a shitty gadget for me. I don't know why you two jumped down my throat for saying that.

I don't know why you think I'm jumping down your throat. I'm disagreeing with you.

Quote:
I like having a webcam to carry with my laptop, it's great for skype, and my next portable device purchase will certainly have an integrated webcam.

I also like the webcam on my netbook and for the same reason .. but this isn't a netbook replacement .. that's my point. If I could only have one, I would chose the netbook. Thankfully, I'm blessed with riches and don't have to choose between them. ;)

Quote:
I want to be able to chuck my music and some movies on whatever I'm going to be carrying around with me... you guys don't.

Actually, this thing is great for movies ... IPS screen dude! It is 'only' 720p, but really .. it is a 10" screen .. is 1080i necessary at that size?

Music I keep on my iPhone. What I'd love to see, though, is whether I can easily move songs from my iPad to my iPhone ... that'd be sexy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:04 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

It was more SM being pissy about me disgreeing with him then you... but it doesn't really matter. Anyways, I don't have the money for both... so netbook it is. It was somewhat billed as a netbook replacement- during live coverage of the announcement, Steve Jobs kept pointing out ways that the iPad was better then a netbook. But that's mainly because Apple doesn't really have a product that competes with a netbook. Anyone half-knowledgeable will see it isn't intended to replace, but to supplement a netbook for those with money to burn. :wink:
As for movies- yeah, it's great for watching them, but how are you going to store movies is my point. You'd only be able to stream them, and I'd like to be able to watch movies off my hard drive. If I had money spilling out of my pockets, I would probably buy an iPad, but I don't. That leaves me to decide on which single portable device I should roll with... and it isn't an iPad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:35 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Dude ... 32GB is a lot of space when your OS takes up less than a GB.

I have about 40 apps on my phone and the total space they take up is less than a GB.

Even 16 GB would be enough for apps, OS, and several movies with space left over for a bunch of songs.

One of the advantages of it not being a netbook .. you don't have to deal with the cumbersome x86 OSes and their GB of legacy crap .. I mean code.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:41 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I've had as many as 10 movies on my iPhone 16GB once.

Granted that was before I went app crazy. :D

So with 32GBs you'd have quite a bit of space for movies. iTunes movies are about 1GB in size and any DVDs that you rip can be even smaller if you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:16 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

I don't know... I still have a hard time justifying the money for something that unique when I have a laptop that does those things quite well.

I think comparing a Jeep to a CBR to refute the laptop vs iPad is kind of weak.... Unless the laptop is the Jeep and the iPad is the CBR. Then it makes a little more sense. If that is the case then I can see a niche for the iPad. For what it is, it is great, but knock the price down to $400 or so instead of $500 and I'd say it had some value.

For what it is at the price that it is I just can't see spending money on it.

Guess I need to get my hands on one? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:41 am 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

Jipstyle wrote:
Dude ... 32GB is a lot of space when your OS takes up less than a GB.

I have about 40 apps on my phone and the total space they take up is less than a GB.

Even 16 GB would be enough for apps, OS, and several movies with space left over for a bunch of songs.

One of the advantages of it not being a netbook .. you don't have to deal with the cumbersome x86 OSes and their GB of legacy crap .. I mean code.

problem is, I've got over 16GB of music I'd like to put on an iPad. There goes over half its storage. It's not too bad, but it's still crappy when you compare that to a 160GB hard drive is all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:57 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

I am currently sporting 33 GB of music... :)

Storage is a concern. I just want to do a 1 to 1 sync and not have to pick and choose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:14 pm 

Spartacus wrote:
It was more SM being pissy about me disgreeing with him then you...

You must be talking about a different thread, because the only urine stained pants I see, are on you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:19 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Well sure ... you are pissing on him.

Even a monkey knows better than to piss on himself. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:22 am 

Jipstyle wrote:

I set that one up for a comment about me not wearing pants, but that one will work just as well. lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:04 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Spider Monkey wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:

I set that one up for a comment about me not wearing pants, but that one will work just as well. lol

Damn it! I missed the obvious. Ah well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:52 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Here is an interesting article on the iPad's SDK from Ars Technica.

Highlights:
    Available functions suggest that a camera has been considered / will be available for the pad.
    They also suggest that video conferencing will be possible.
    There are functions available for handwriting using InkWell / FingerWorks, suggesting that stylus input will be available.
    Video output functions suggest that the iPad will be usable as a control device for presentations, iTunes, etc.
    Shared storage functions confirm that the iPad will be considerably more robust than just an iPhone-with-a-larger-screen.

Interesting stuff .. with 60 days to launch, I'm eager to see what Apple implements.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:12 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Jipstyle wrote:

Highlights:
    Available functions suggest that a camera has been considered / will be available for the pad.
    There are functions available for handwriting using InkWell / FingerWorks, suggesting that stylus input will be available.
    Video output functions suggest that the iPad will be usable as a control device for presentations, iTunes, etc.
    Shared storage functions confirm that the iPad will be considerably more robust than just an iPhone-with-a-larger-screen.

Interesting stuff .. with 60 days to launch, I'm eager to see what Apple implements.

All the above makes it less retarded :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:18 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

With so much time left to launch, I think you'll see a lot that makes it less retarded.

Apple has realised something that others are just starting to catch up on .. software is now far more important than hardware. Our hardware far outstrips our ability to code for it and use it efficiently because it changes so quickly.

That little 1GHz chip will do more than C2D in many applications because it has an OS optimized for it .. and an OS that takes up MB rather than GB will only help.

The iPad is going to be successful for the same reason the iPhone is .. the App Store.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:24 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Maybe Apple is on to something or is just copying Star Trek. ;)

The original text of these called them a PADD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:31 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

CrashTECH wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:

Highlights:

All the above makes it less retarded :)

See, this is why I tell people not to get their panties in a wad, cuz there is a ton of capability that will be implemented and taken advantage of. It just takes the right and willing people to implement it. Just gotta be patient and not be doggin it right away. Give it a chance to take off upon launch, don't try to sabotage it before takeoff.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next