Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:45 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

I have a laptop I can do all of that with (and more).

What makes the iPad better?

IMO, they could have done more with it.

FWIW, I think the Touch is a tad over priced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:49 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

Spartacus wrote:
Spider Monkey wrote:
I'm going to get one for sure! First, they're cheap, and secondly, it will be fun as hell talking about how awesome it is in front of all of you.

That can go both ways. Do you want a bunch of people bragging to you how cool their netbooks are and how they're glad they didn't get an iPad? :P

Guess what. They will all be wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:51 pm 

tugboat_2 wrote:
Well here is a scenario for you.

I need to take a trip for a couple of weeks. I want to take a half dozen or so of my favorite videos (DVD's), a thumb drive with some private correspondence, and another thumb drive with my password manager on it. I feel a Star Trek movie-a-thon coming on ( I already own the things so I damn sure not going to pay a subscription to watch them).

Oh yeah I will most likely need to use a motel printer/scanner somewhere and print out some email attachments ( a couple of PDF's and Word documents) while I'm gone and save the pics I take while traveling so my memory card doesn't get full. Last but not least I want to keep in touch with the grand babies via Windows Live with video.

So, will the iPad do all that????

Yup. There's an app for that.

And guess what. While we're at applying technology to incorrect applications, I have a frog that will do all that too if you want to borrow him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:53 pm 

CrashTECH wrote:
Spider Monkey wrote:
I'm going to get one for sure! First, they're cheap, and secondly, it will be fun as hell talking about how awesome it is in front of all of you.
Are you for srs? It is NOT cheap. It isn't cool. It is a piece of shit. Seriously? Apple screwed up on this one. I don't generally like their products, mostly because they are over priced... but I can admit that they have been making some good stuff. The iPad is NOT one of those things.
Broke ass. :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:55 pm 

Jipstyle wrote:
Am I the only person here who realises that (a) most MPCers are not the target market, and (b) this is not a laptop or even netbook replacement?

No. I am here too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:56 pm 

CrashTECH wrote:

Nothing. What makes a Corvette better than a Ski Natique?

Seriously, I've never seen you post such irrational arguments for or against something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:03 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

CrashTECH wrote:
I have a laptop I can do all of that with (and more).

It is not a laptop.

I have a Jeep that can take me and a passenger from A to B. What makes a Honda CBR600 better?

Quote:
IMO, they could have done more with it.

I don't think we've scratched the surface of what people with do with them .. but even as they are, it is a device that I'd love to have. I love surfing on my phone from an interface standpoint but the size of the screen and the speed (glacial) of the rendering are horribly annoying. I will pay $600-700 to have this device for casual web surfing and reading while lounging.

Quote:
FWIW, I think the Touch is a tad over priced.

It sells very very well, though, so obviously it is well priced for the market if not for you. Honestly, I wouldn't buy a Touch either ... too small and limited in scope.

I'm very interested to see the limits of this 'A4' chip they've co-developed. I want to see what it can do and how it is designed. Milking the best performance out of a static hardware set is always fun for developers. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:17 pm 

And 4G is right around the corner for you USA type peoples.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:53 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Wow, I missed like almost 2 whole pages of posts, lol! The biggest feature of the iPad is simply it's POTENTIAL. Also, remember that Apple has a major habit of NOT telling us ALL the juicy features and details until after launch. They don't EVER reveal all of it before launch. They're not Microsoft, lol. I also almost forgot, as for NOT being a device for productivity, it sure has some nice little apps n such, like full-blown email client, as well as iWork for iPad. For USB-based devices and/or flash card media, they have little attachable devices for that, even a keyboard dock and a sweet multi-usage case too! I guarantee that this is just the beginning of what they have up their sleeves for this device. I believe a major play will be to also see how they design it to work with the new forthcoming Mac Pro's and iMac's. I am also of the opinion that one of the things that makes this stand out from the rest, like most all Apple products, is what you get for the physical size of the thing. It's ridiculously thin! From best I can tell, and I'd LOVE to see MaxPC do a review of it and compare: thickness - MaxPC typical magazine issue vs. iPad, lol. It looks as thin as one of their magazines, maybe thinner even!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:01 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

PM_DMNKLR wrote:
I am also of the opinion that one of the things that makes this stand out from the rest, like most all Apple products, is what you get for the physical size of the thing. It's ridiculously thin! From best I can tell, and I'd LOVE to see MaxPC do a review of it and compare: thickness - MaxPC typical magazine issue vs. iPad, lol. It looks as thin as one of their magazines, maybe thinner even!

Sorry mods I just can't resist the lead in.

Sounds like a good feminine hygiene article for a leading woman's magazine. :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:10 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

Spider Monkey wrote:
tugboat_2 wrote:
Well here is a scenario for you.

I need to take a trip for a couple of weeks. I want to take a half dozen or so of my favorite videos (DVD's), a thumb drive with some private correspondence, and another thumb drive with my password manager on it. I feel a Star Trek movie-a-thon coming on ( I already own the things so I damn sure not going to pay a subscription to watch them).

Oh yeah I will most likely need to use a motel printer/scanner somewhere and print out some email attachments ( a couple of PDF's and Word documents) while I'm gone and save the pics I take while traveling so my memory card doesn't get full. Last but not least I want to keep in touch with the grand babies via Windows Live with video.

So, will the iPad do all that????

Yup. There's an app for that.

And guess what. While we're at applying technology to incorrect applications, I have a frog that will do all that too if you want to borrow him.

There's an app for expanding the hard drive size? Adding USB, SD card ports, and a camera? Man, apple is a beast in the adding magic to hardware area. I think the point here is, he wants something that will do all that (and I would to). The iPad doesn't. So no reason to spend my money on it. TBH, I think the iPad is shitty for near anything, but if you like it, be my guest. I don't really care, it doesn't wound my pride. But I'm not going to buy it... I'd rather have a netbook. Cheaper, only slightly bigger, and if you put enough money into it to reach cost parity with the iPad, you get more performance and far more storage. Not to mention a real keyboard. I don't really care for touch screens. They're nice, but to me they're just bells and whistles that you have to clean more often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:54 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Is nobody looking at the attachments that Apple's showing on their site? A keyboard w/a dock in it, plus u can use any bluetooth kb too, or mouse, any BT device actually. Plus there's the USB module that plugs in and the memory card reader too. The "app for that" crack was a shot at their slogan, lol, I'm sure I'm not the only one who saw that. Btw, tugboat, that was a pretty funny companion line to mine, lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:36 am 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

My biggest issue is the apparent lack of flash. The intro video kept saying it's the best web experience - How is it possible when so many sites use Flash and it isn't used. This picture sums it up.

http://theflashblog.com/images/ipud.jpg

AJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:00 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

USB port?

No.

Flash support?

Yeah, right.

Open up the web browser and download a PDF file/Word document, PowerPoint, or any number of formats that require a multitasking capability.

Nope. You have to close one program to run another. That sucks.

A locked 16:9 Aspect Ratio? Really? Seriously?

Wireless Sync not there. That sucks.

A product that is supposed to be our "node connection device" to span multiple networks and bring all of our Internet tasks to one device. But no Flash support. Get used to seeing those little blue boxes spinning around, because Jobs doesn't like Adobe. I don't like Adobe either, but when the Flash format is utilized in so many websites, you've got to make some concessions or risk looking like a grumpy old fool. Wait a sec.....

Apple has me very interested with the iPad. I think it will once again revolutionize the industry by creating a segment people didn't think they needed, yet in a year, they will be clamoring for.

v2.0 will need to come out before I would even consider one of these. It HAS to have USB port(s), media card slot, Flash support, easy Office support and also, make it easier for a Windows guy to fall in love with it. Apple will never produce a truly "open" platform, but like I said, make some damned concessions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:02 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Quakindude wrote:
Wireless Sync not there. That sucks.

What kind of 'wireless sync' are you looking for?

Quote:
A product that is supposed to be our "node connection device" to span multiple networks and bring all of our Internet tasks to one device.

Oh, is that what this device is for? News to me ..

Quote:
Apple has me very interested with the iPad. I think it will once again revolutionize the industry by creating a segment people didn't think they needed, yet in a year, they will be clamoring for.

Exactly.

Quote:
v2.0 will need to come out before I would even consider one of these. It HAS to have USB port(s), media card slot, Flash support, easy Office support and also, make it easier for a Windows guy to fall in love with it. Apple will never produce a truly "open" platform, but like I said, make some damned concessions.

v1.0 hasn't come out yet. ;)

USB ports will never happen ... they don't fit. The device is too thin.

Office support appears to be there, provided you mean Apple's version of Office. And it will *never* be even moderately open unless you jailbreak it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:26 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Having thought about it a bit more... I guess my issue is not with the iPad itself. More so the price. The most basic only gives you 16GB and will cost you $500. If it included a card reader and had 32GB I'd be more on board with it. I'd pay $550 for one at that price with those two changes.

The resolution is kind of depressing... I had hoped for at least 1280x800.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:49 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Just for fun... Hilter reacts to the iPad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:18 pm 

CrashTECH wrote:
Having thought about it a bit more... I guess my issue is not with the iPad itself. More so the price. The most basic only gives you 16GB and will cost you $500. If it included a card reader and had 32GB I'd be more on board with it. I'd pay $550 for one at that price with those two changes.

The resolution is kind of depressing... I had hoped for at least 1280x800.
There is more to life than memory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:21 pm 

Spartacus wrote:
There's an app for expanding the hard drive size?

Yea, its called ORB.

Quote:
Adding USB, SD card ports, and a camera?

No, a USB and Sd ports would be useless considering what I already said, and WTF wants a camera the size of a book???
Quote:
Man, apple is a beast in the adding magic to hardware area. I think the point here is, he wants something that will do all that (and I would to).

Then get what's already on the market.

Quote:
The iPad doesn't. So no reason to spend my money on it. TBH, I think the iPad is shitty for near anything, but if you like it, be my guest. I don't really care, it doesn't wound my pride. But I'm not going to buy it... I'd rather have a netbook. Cheaper, only slightly bigger, and if you put enough money into it to reach cost parity with the iPad, you get more performance and far more storage. Not to mention a real keyboard. I don't really care for touch screens. They're nice, but to me they're just bells and whistles that you have to clean more often.

I hear you. I once was on a plane to Alaska and wished I'd had a different childhood, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:33 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

Spider Monkey wrote:
Spartacus wrote:
There's an app for expanding the hard drive size?

Yea, its called ORB.

It's not quite the same thing... would you forgo a bigger hard drive because you can just throw stuff in your DropBox?
Quote:
No, a USB and Sd ports would be useless considering what I already said, and WTF wants a camera the size of a book???

You're right... who would ever want to connect peripherals or add physical storage to their device after all?
Quote:
Then get what's already on the market.

I will. Thanks for the great advice.
Quote:
I hear you. I once was on a plane to Alaska and wished I'd had a different childhood, too.

I apologize for disagreeing with you.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next