Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: FZ capacitors
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:08 am 

I've noticed a lot of companies use FZ capacitors on their hardware. Has anyone else had trouble with these caps blowing? I recently replaced all the FZ caps on an EVGA mobo I use after having 5 of them blow within about 3 weeks of each other. During the replacement I noticed that my graphics card also had a blown FZ cap. All were 6.3 volt 1500 uF. I found a site called www.badcaps.net and at the time I was on there another person with the exact same mobo had the exact same caps blow on theirs. Seems there was a bad batch of electrolytic in some capacitor brands at some point or something. Just wondering how many others have had trouble with blown capacitors, especially FZ brand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:15 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

Couldn't tell ya. My mobo and graphics cards both use all solid caps. :D
I hope you didn't replace those caps while your mobo and video card were still under warranty... because if you did, they're not under warranty any more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:20 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

Spartacus wrote:
Couldn't tell ya. My mobo and graphics cards both use all solid caps. :D

Same here. All solid state.

This was a HUGE issue back a few years ago. First time I've heard of it in over two years myself. What EVGA mobo specifically are you talking about? Is it from the 5xx series?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:31 am 

No it wasn't still under warranty. Its a 133-K8-NF41-XX nforce 4 board. I guess it was manufactured a few years ago when this was more of a problem. I've noticed the newer products that have FZ caps look different. Instead of have a blue stripe on 1 side of the cap the newer ones have a red or purple stripe so hopefully the problems been resolved. Below is a pic of part of the board before I replaced the caps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:36 am 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

huh. Yeah, there's no doubt about that one. I've never really had a problem with caps except in a couple really old motherboards that I've serviced, so I guess I haven't ever ended up with a mobo with FZ caps. However, I do have a friend who's had to replace a mobo with bad FZ electrolytic caps (it was under warranty so he replaced the whole mobo).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:02 am 

What I thought was strange was the week this happened I ran across another post on badcaps.net about a guy with the same mobo but not SLI version with the same problem. Also thought it strange that only 6.3 volt 1500 uF caps blew on my board and on his.

I had debated on just getting a new mobo but since it was cheap to fix and I really liked this mobo I figured it give it a go repairing it. Spent maybe 5$ on the replacement caps and the board runs as good as new. This was my 1st attempt at any kind of solder work on a mobo so it was do or die so to say hehe.