Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Buying my first wireless router
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:39 am 

Hey guys I'm looking for a wireless router for my apartment.

My big concern is reliability and range. It also needs to be compatible with Mac's and PC's.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
My max budget is $120.00

I was thinking about the D-link 655 or the NETGEAR WNR3500

I'll mostly use it for streaming movies from netflix, playing games on consoles and basic internet use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:30 am 

Any help, please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:00 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I can't vouch for those, but I was going to buy the D-LINK 655. But, my wife actually encouraged me to spend more and buy the Apple Airport Extreme when we got her Macbook Pro and our iPhones.

It is expensive, but man. It is so easy to set up and works like a god damned champ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:06 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Azgaryth wrote:
I can't vouch for those, but I was going to buy the D-LINK 655. But, my wife actually encouraged me to spend more and buy the Apple Airport Extreme when we got her Macbook Pro and our iPhones.

It is expensive, but man. It is so easy to set up and works like a god damned champ.

apple is evil, I don't think the d-link is dual bande I would go with this linksys unless you want to add external antennas to increase range if you have a large house.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:51 pm 

Azgaryth wrote:

My wife recommended the same thing after she got her Macbook pro, I just hate the price point but if its super easy to use it might be worth it. How are the updates, are they pretty regular and do they fix bugs in both the pc and mac's very well?

Danthrax66- Why is Apple so evil? And what linksys router are you talking about?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:06 pm 

Ramza394 wrote:
Azgaryth wrote:

My wife recommended the same thing after she got her Macbook pro, I just hate the price point but if its super easy to use it might be worth it. How are the updates, are they pretty regular and do they fix bugs in both the pc and mac's very well?

Danthrax66- Why is Apple so evil? And what linksys router are you talking about?

I've got that Netgear in my home and I've had no issues with it. (We have both macs and PCs.) I've also installed it in several other homes without any problems.

The airport is way overpriced and no easier than the Netgear to set up. I recently gave up on trying to get an airport working for a friend and had them get that Netgear and it's worked great for them.

Neither the D-Link or the Netgear is dual band, so neither would be a good choice if you're going to connect both G and N devices to your network.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:30 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Azgaryth wrote:

Sorry for the necro-bump, but it's over 3 years later and my Airport Extreme is still working like a champ. Never even had a hiccup.

Post subject: Re: Buying my first wireless router
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:54 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)
Monkey Federation (Top 10)

Azgaryth My 5 year old Netgear is also going like a champ even after 5 moves and countless power spikes and surges.