Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: connecting a wireless router to a wired router
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:37 pm 

ive connected a linksys wireless WRT160N v3 router to a linksys wired BEFSR41 router. ive connected port 1 of wireless to port 4 on the wired. i disabled DHCP hosting on the wireless. this seems to work, except i get a lot of dropped connections on my wireless connection on the brand new ASUS laptop, using an N adapter. a friend of mine also has a laptop, and he gets even worse dropouts using a G adapter, he even has a special antennae that he bought that claims to help pick up signals better, but he still got booted/disconnected.

ive upgraded the firmware on the wireless router. that seems to help a little. still getting tons of dropped connections and i have to re cycle "connecting" to a network to get back online. every time i get "booted" i have to "disconnect" in the network sharing center and "re connect" this usually solves it, but only for a little while. then anyone on the same local wireless network gets booted, after a short time. my friend reports the same thing happens to him, he is using vista on his laptop. im using windows 7, on all of my pc.

what settings do i need to look into, change? should i try installing "tomato" for both routers? what settings do i need to pay attention to, on the wired or wireless router to make sure the wireless doesnt drop connections?

i sometimes take the wireless router with me, to a friends house because i need it to get online on their internet (they dont have a router yet), so i use it when i go out of town on business trips and stay at their house, its so i can get online on my laptop. i take it with me back home, since i can just plug it back into the wired router.

i did notice that when the wireless router works on its own, not plugged into the wired router, there are no drop outs. it only seems to do the dropped connections when its plugged into the wired router. I didnt want to have to buy another wireless router since i already have a wired one. but i will, if i have to, because getting dropped connections all the time is a pain in the ass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:46 am 

did i post this in wrong forum? should i have posted this in network corner?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:21 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Go here

http://www.grc.com/nat/nats.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:43 am 
Chief Surgeon
Chief Surgeon

First, don't install hacks on the router if things aren't working properly - this does void any warranty. You may have a defective router.

Now, does the wireless work as a stand-alone without your wired router? Remove your wired router and replace it with the wireless.

I haven't used Linksys in a while - you need to log into the router and make sure that you have G and N enabled if your friend can't keep connected. There might be refresh settings for the DHCP server which kicks an IP out after a short time - which you should be able to adjust.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:31 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

From my read of that:
'160N works fine as a standalone; works flaky when connected to the BEFSR41 (in "AP-only" mode.) Correct?

That gets it down to three possibilities:
- faulty LAN cable (between BEFSR41 and '160N)
- faulty BEFSR41
(both of these would have the effect of 'dropping' the '160N from the network (and, with it, the DHCP and DNS servers on the BEFSR41.))
- misconfigured '160N. Dollars to doughnuts says that you didn't change the LAN IP address of the '160N, resulting in really wierd network issues.

Instructions for configuring a Linksys router in AP-Only mode:
Cup, many times before, wrote:
Unfortunately, setting up a Linksys router to operate in AP-only mode isn't all that intuitive...
Note: do this with the wireless router NOT connected to your LAN!!!!
First, reset the wireless router (consult its manual.)
Setup > basic setup.
-internet connection type: Automatic configuration DHCP
-network setup: local IP address to one on your subnet, but outside of router's DHCP range (example: my DHCP range is 192.168.0.100~199, my WRT54G is set to 192.168.0.254); subnet mask same as your network (default is 255.255.255.0); ignore gateway and local DNS (leave them blank.)
-DHCP settings:
--DHCP type: DHCP server
--DHCP server: disable
Click Save Settings.
Setup > advanced routing.
-operating mode: router.
-Dynamic routing: interface: disable.
Save Settings.
Congratulations! You've set up a Linksys wireless router to operate as an AP + switch only!
And, put a piece of tape over the Linksys' WAN port, so you're not tempted to use it.

Power down your new AP, and reconnect it to your LAN.

(damn, I need to do that FAQ!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:42 pm 

yes, that is correct. 160N works ok by itself. is only flaky when connected to the BEFSR41. you are also correct in saying that there is no static IP address assigned to the 160N, when plugged into the BEFSR41.

so, i need to configure 160N with a static address and configure the BEFSR41 to work in AP only mode?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:07 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

No, no. You're confusing the WAN (internet) settings with the LAN (local) settings.
Leave (or set) the "internet connection type" to 'automatic (DHCP'; set the LAN IP address of the '160N to one that'll work on your LAN.
Assuming that the BEFRS41 is still running the stock LAN settings (likely, as most people don't touch that), its LAN IP address is 192.168.1.1 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0), with a DHCP range of 192.168.1.100~49 (maybe ~199.)
Therefore, you'll give the '160N a LAN (local) address that's within that IP range (192.168.1.1~254), but is outside of the DHCP range (and also isn't the same as the '41's.) Anything from .2~.99, or from .150~.254 (.200~.254, if you have a 100 address DHCP range.) Safe (and, easy to remember) would be .2 or .254.
Of course, double-check the current settings on the '41 before starting - this is what you're working with. If you're not sure, post the LAN IP config of the '41 here.

Remember:
- Be connected (preferably via hardwire) to the '160N when you're doing this.
- Reset the '160N before starting. Any 'customizations' can make this impossible; you'll also want its DHCP server running (disabling it is the last step.)