Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:57 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Thank you!

I've been meaning to take some new pictures of this thing, but I've been busy lately and it's been the last thing on my mind.

I'll try and do that by next week, and update the site with material costs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:28 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

That is a very original design. Nice job man! That is a totally kickass case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:56 am 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

You should go post it on http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/ - lot of great mods there. You can tell them you posted it here first - unless you are already a member over there.

AJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:27 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

CTskifreak wrote:
You should go post it on http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/ - lot of great mods there. You can tell them you posted it here first - unless you are already a member over there.

AJ

Thanks man, I'll look into that.

Sometimes I see other case mods and I instantly feel worthless; some people are just so amazing with stuff like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:13 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I love this case, very well done, especially for your first time. One question I have in general, not necessarily for you, is why do I never see any1 who does a wooden case build, also do a PSU case in wood? Grounding is a non-issue, that's all part of the modding process, creativity, but I myself would do it if I were to build a wooden pc case, but I don't want to. It would be nice to see that addition though for once. Maybe you can do one in the future, like as an additional mod idea for later? That would be awesome. I'd also like to see some1 replace the ODD shell with wood. Hell, while you're at it, maybe go so far as to make wood fans as well, or at least the frames. just suggestions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:37 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

PM_DMNKLR wrote:
I love this case, very well done, especially for your first time. One question I have in general, not necessarily for you, is why do I never see any1 who does a wooden case build, also do a PSU case in wood? Grounding is a non-issue, that's all part of the modding process, creativity, but I myself would do it if I were to build a wooden pc case, but I don't want to. It would be nice to see that addition though for once. Maybe you can do one in the future, like as an additional mod idea for later? That would be awesome. I'd also like to see some1 replace the ODD shell with wood. Hell, while you're at it, maybe go so far as to make wood fans as well, or at least the frames. just suggestions.

Thank you!

Building a shroud for a PSU wouldn't be that difficult, but it'd just make for heat issues since the metal casing itself acts as somewhat of a heat sink and by encasing it in wood (which really doesn't conduct heat all through it's core that well in this case because it's so thick) you'd be "baking" the PSU inside the shroud.

Shrouding a ODD in wood would be less of a problem though.

As for building wooden fans, it's possible but the engineering is too complicated for the average wood worker, and shaping the blades to make them all perfectly the same (to reduce vibration and maximize airflow) just isn't practical at all. A wooden frame for the fan just doesn't seem practical either because of the way that the fans work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:53 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Get some of that wooden wallpaper/sticker stuff that goes on cheap woodwork and stick it on the fans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:46 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Camrm wrote:
Building a shroud for a PSU wouldn't be that difficult, but it'd just make for heat issues since the metal casing itself acts as somewhat of a heat sink and by encasing it in wood (which really doesn't conduct heat all through it's core that well in this case because it's so thick) you'd be "baking" the PSU inside the shroud.

If you made ventilation holes and of course a hole with mounting holes for a fan, thus adding a fan to it, it would work. I wasn't meaning a box to suffocate the PSU in it. And if you do it that way, then you also could choose what fan(s) to operate within the PSU, such as 1x 120/140mm and a couple 60 mm on low speed to pull air into the unit and an 80mm or 2 to exhaust it. It's all about creativity. I know you understand where I'm going with it, lol. As for the fan shrouds, it really wouldn't be as difficult as one would imagine it, provided that you take the proper steps necessary to assemble it, would just be rather tedious work, yet you could get very creative with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:31 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I hope that I am allowed to resurrect this thread with some great new information, videos, pictures, and a blog post.

Cutting straight to the chase, I am extremely proud to say that the wooden computer case won the Digital Overload 2010 case modification competition which was sponsored by CPU Magazine!

:D

This new blog post details absolutely everything you need to know and has video, pictures, and some words too!

DO2010 Winner!

Thanks again to everyone involved. :)