Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: help beginner
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:20 pm 

Hi, I've got no programming experience but am interested in learning how.

I bought a C++ for dummies book. Turned out Code Blocks (the book's included compiler) won't work, or I can't make it work with 64 bit Win 7 Ult. so maybe I really am a dummy. :lol:

I tried installing the Win 7 64 bit sdk - no dice.

I've now downloaded visual studio, C++ 2010 beta and a bunch of other stuff I have no idea what to do with.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. Yo!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:35 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Visual Studio 2010 is a good way to get started. I don't see off-hand why Code Blocks wouldn't work for you.

http://www.codeblocks.org/downloads/5

Quote:
NOTE: The compiler included in codeblocks-8.02mingw-setup.exe does not work reliable on Windows Vista. Please do not use it and install a more recent one from MinGW. That is because at the time Code::Blocks was released there was no working GCC for Windows Vista available. Meanwhile there is.

MinGW: http://www.mingw.org/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/

Should help you get Code Blocks going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:14 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

To be honest, I learned Java in Eclipse and I find it to be my favorite platform for editing C++. Especially because of its portability.

Install minGW, and try out the g++ Eclipse install perhaps?

Post subject: proceedure?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:58 pm 

Thanks for your responses.

I actually did try the download from mingw.org for codeblocks which did not help. Could my download/install proceedure be the problem? I am using AVG which doesn't allow me to turn off the antivirus portion but it's never caused a problem before.

Everything seems to install correctly, but when I try to launch the first practice project in the book, a simple console app, I get the message "invalid compiler. nothing to be done."

The g++/eclipse/java is worth a shot, but I'd like to know what the deal with codeblocks is as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:50 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Can you tell us exactly what you did to install Codeblocks and minGW?

Post subject: I can try
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:56 pm 

Initally, I just ran the CD that came with the book to install codeblocks. I followed it's update procedure and that was it.
When I couldn't get it to work I found info in some forum about mingGW. I downloaded the exe. file, uninstalled the original version, restarted, and ran the minGW exe.
I tried this a few times, with AVG running, and with as much of it turned off as you can turn off - doesn't seem to let you turn off the antivirus.
I tried running everything as network administrator, in compatibility mode for XP SP3, and tried using codeblocks with different compilers. The book had said to create the first console app with "GNU GCC Compiler". I tried most of the others, none worked, most gave the same error message, some were slightly different.