Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Buyer beware, GFWL+Codemasters+online+unsupported country=:(
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:53 am 

Buyer beware, GFWL+Codemasters+online+unsupported country= :( Can not race online. ( Games for Windows LIVE )

This what happening with DIRT 2 and will we see this happen with F1 and if there a GRID 2? Checkout this repost:

Will Codemasters give new CD-key to those players in unsupport countires that need...

Quote:
Will Codemasters give new CD-key to those players in unsupported countries that need a new CD-key so they can make a new LIVE ID that will let them race DIRT 2 online?

A lot these players have bought other Codemasters racing games and race them online and now they can not race DIRT 2 online. Will Codemasters refund them their money since they were not warn that they can not use GFWL to race online?

Microsoft say they will not fix this problem, the ball is in Codemasters court.

Problem - Dirt2 - cd-key and windows live accaunt
hotchilli1327 replied on Thu, Dec 10 2009 12:32 PM
rated by 0 users

With Dirt 2 the Key is tied to the original Live ID that you first used the game with and you cannot change this. This is the decision of the game Publisher, not GFWL. Go to the game publisher, Codemasters, to see if they can help you with a new key.

Good luck.

Zavrazhnov replied on Wed, Dec 9 2009 5:12 PM
rated by 0 users

I want you again to answer. What can I do in my situation

I live in London
But I work in England-Russia company. Offices in both countrys.
When the game appears in Steam - I buy it. I was in Russia.
When I buy it - I immediately launch it, then register accaunt in windows live and it was registered with Russia region (because I was in Russia, and windows was with Russia region settings)
When I was buying the game, there were no warnings, that I can't play a game if my account is from no-supported country. I read about it only on windows live forum, when the problem happened.
Now I register new account with my real United Kingdom region setting - but I can't move the key to it.
Now I can't play a game not from Russia, not from United Kingdom.
So what can I do?

Fuvio79 replied on Wed, Dec 9 2009 4:29 PM
rated by 0 users

If we could login first and after that we were asked for the key we wouldn't have this problem. But the sole fact that GFWL works everywhere if you just fill in you live in US (or other supported country) is ridiculous. I don't care about Dirt 2 anymore but I'll be definitely more careful in future. By that I mean I'll never buy another game that is connected with GFWL in any way.

And will we have this same problem with Codemasters games in 2010? It things like this that drive paying customers to be a pirate and this does not help boost the sales of computer games. :(

Don't feel right buying DIRT 2 if others are getting screwed out of their hard earn dollars. There over 166 unsupported countries that are lock out of racing DIRT 2 online. :(
GFWL stole my game

Attention. This game is a scam, as it works on Windows-Live

Steam vs GFWL ( Games for Windows LIVE ) and unsupported countries.

Here a post to give some perspective on Microsoft foot dragging:

Don't hold your breath while waiting for Microsoft ....

Don't hold your breath while waiting for Microsoft to add more supported countries to GFWL ( Games for Windows LIVE ) that will be allow to race online. I hope Codemasters will change their mind and make DIRT 2 the last racing game to use GFWL!

I found this post over at Games for Windows LIVE forum:

NON-LIVE SUPPORTED COUNTRIES POST

Wii60 DarkPGR wrote:

hotchilli1327 wrote:

When it comes to Steam, they had just as many problems, if not more then what the Live service with GFWL is experiencing now. As to the number of Live countries supported I am not going to specualate on that because I have no idea why there is so few compaired to others and screaming and acting like a little child is not going to change that. I am sure as time goes on more and more countries will become live enabled. Time will tell.

Some fact checking:

Steam launched on September 2003 and to this day supports hundreds of countries

Xbox LIVE launched on November 2002 and to this day supports 26 countries

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection launched on November 2005 and to this day supports all countries where Nintendo officially sells their consoles.

PlayStation Network launched on November 2006 and to this day supports 56 countries, with Latin America lacking the Store and PlayStation Home.

In 6 years, Steam has achieved full support for over 200 Countries

In 7 years, Microsoft has barely achieved support for 26 Countries

In 4 years, Nintendo has achieved support for over 60 Countries, all of them available since launch.

In 3 years, Sony has achieved support for 56 Countries

So let me doubt that time will tell, and that more will be added as time goes on, because LIVE has existed for longer than Steam and other similar services, and is the one with the worst support.

Please Codemasters and Microsoft fix this injustice to online racing! Let the WHOLE world race online like we do with GRID and Flatout 2!!

And hopefully new racing game Blur.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:17 am 
team psycho or sumthin
team psycho or sumthin

Please make your post more personally understandable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:07 am 

OK, I will try.

Players have been getting DIRT 2 from Steam\Direct2drive or from online stores and have not been told before they bought DIRT 2, that if they do not live in one the only 26 supported countries that has support for Game for Windows LIVE, they will not be able to race online. :(

Players are paying $40-$70 for DIRT 2 and after they install DIRT 2 and create their LIVE ID, they find out they can not race DIRT 2 online if they live in one the over 166 unsupported countries. They can only race DIRT 2 offline and they also have to figure out how to get LIVE to go into offline mode so game will save their in game progress.

With Codemasters DIRT 1 and GRID, we all were able to race online no matter where you live in the world if you had a good broadband connection to the internet. Codemasters using GFWL is a step backwards for online racing when it block out half the world from racing online.

I hope we can change Codemasters mind about using GFWL or we will be stuck with GFWL when Codemasters releases F1 this year and if they are working on GRID 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:45 am 
team psycho or sumthin
team psycho or sumthin

Gotcha...

That is pretty damn crummy, has anybody affected made contact with customer support to find out when/if the specific service will be available?

For anybody that bought at a brick and morter, check local/state laws, if a major part of software isn't available and there isn't anything on the packaging giving notice, the software is defective, the store dosen't have a leg to stand on to refuse a refund.

For anybody that bought online:

Downloaded meadia, get in contact with your credit card company and file a greivence to start the ball rolling on reversing the charges.

Physical media, the same thing for downloaded but prepare to return the product per instructions from the credit card company and the vender.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:45 am 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

agreed. This is a perfectly valid concern, and that sucks. About your only shot is to complain, file a grievance with the credit card company, or see if you got the wrong version if a hard copy was bought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:43 am 

Codemasters say there a warning on the back of the DIRT 2 box:

"LIVE not available in all countries"

Codemasters says they should read the back of box! But the warning should say " Only the 26 supported countries can race online, please check the list of supported countries: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/countries.htm ", would of been a better warning.

But if you bought DIRT 2 online from Steam\Direct2drive or an online store, there no back of the box to read and no warning you need to live in one the 26 supported countries to race online. By the time you install DIRT 2 and set up a new LIVE ID and tie CD-key to new LIVE ID and then get message that you live in an unsupported country and can not race online. It to late to do anything about it!!!!

Us that like to race online with the PC, are use to racing the Whole world with racing games like Codemasters GRID and DIRT 1 and BugBear Flatout 1 & 2. GFWL is a step backwards for online racing. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:01 am 

Thanks for the great post, being that I live in the U.S, DIRT2, and Fallout 3, refuse to work with GFWL because of an invalid key, not sure if it's for a completely different reason, but GFWL is a definite pain, what's the point of using GFWL anyways? Honestly. It's like a worn-down version of STEAM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:08 pm 

I just found this petition at the "Game for Windows LIVE" forum. If you want Microsoft to change their ways with GFWL, you might want to sign this petition:

Add the support of other countries into LIVE

To: Microsoft and Games for Windows - LIVE team

We want Microsoft to include support of many other countries into LIVE like Russia, Hungary, Slovakia, Poland, China and many others! Stop discriminating the players!

Sincerely,

The Undersigned

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:22 am 

One more DIRT 2 player to add to the list of players robbed by GFWL ( Games for Windows LIVE ):

Cannot play online with Live Account. Possibly unrecoverable key?

Quote:
henrique_rp - Hello guys at Steam,

I haven't been a steam player for too long and this is my first post here at the forums.

This is my problem:

Last week I bought a Radeon 5850 and with it I got a coupon to download and play Dirt 2 via Steam. I entered the key onto my profile, downloaded and installed the game. When it ran, a screen popped up requesting a Windows Live login. I had never used it. All I knew about it was that Live was the multiplayer component of the Xbox360, but never had I tested it on the PC.

As it was requesting a Live ID, I typed in my hotmail login and password. On the next screen I was prompted to insert the game CD Key and I did so.

After that, it started some sort of validation process and a message came up telling me that Live was not supported on my region and/or with my login.

I live in Brazil where the consoles and hardware from Microsoft are supported, but - as I discovered in the most terrible way - Live is not.

I googled the fore-mentioned problem and discovered that everyone, from countries where this service is not officially supported, creates an account with a US address and so they are able to play.

I also tried doing the same, but now when I try and register, it tells me that the CD Key I am inserting is already attached to another Live account, which, I cannot access.

I am sorry for the harsh words, but is utterly ridiculous. How can Steam sell a game world-wide, which is NOT world-wide supported? How come there are absolutely not warnings that this, which has happened to me, could happen?

I have possibly lost my serial number because of the absolute lack of care and interest from both parts, Steam sells a game that does not work world-wide which uses a service from Microsoft that doesn't work world-wide either.

It simply makes you fell worthless. You are supporting the work of developers by using an original game and you get this? It's simply appalling.

Is there a way for steam to cancel this possibly "lost" serial and send me another one? I have the original card with the serial and I can provide them with a Scan or picture of it. It's just too sad to be in a situation like that when no warning or hadsup has been given.

I hope this can be solved.

Thank you beforehand for any help.

Best regards,
Henrique

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:00 am 

Shame on Codemasters for turning a deaf ear to the online racing community, Helios confirm F1 2010 will use GFWL. Look like GIRD will be my last Codemasters game:

Repost form F1 forum, " WHY Codemasters, why are you using Games for Windows LIVE? "

Quote:
Helios - I thought I updated this thread when I updated Facebook, but yes F1 2010 will be using GFWL on the PC.

Please Helios, tell us why Codemasters has decide to stick with "Games for Windows LIVE" after all the complaints and problems GFWL cause with DIRT 2?

F1 racing is popular around the world, so why would Codemasters use a program that block over 166 countries from racing online? And is going to cost you PC sales and a lot of headaches dealing with corrupted savegames files and delaying the first PC patch by a month while Microsoft certify the patch? ( DIRT 2 first and only patch, took 3 months to get release, GIRD first patch only took 5 weeks, second patch a month later )

Quote:
Ice - Yes the patch will have to go through Microsoft Submission and Testing just like it would if it was a Xbox 360 game.

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/dirt-2-tech-support-1317/401137-sli-please-codies-some-news.html

It seem the PS3 is the only gaming platfrom that is safe to use world wide. Even the Xbox 360 is getting block from racing online if sold in an unsupported country.

There got to be a better solution than GFWL, that will help protect games from being pirated, but still let paying customers race\shoot\play online.

Will Codemasters print on the PC box and Steam download page this time around, that if live in country not supported by "Games for Windows LIVE", you will not be able to go online and race or get DLCs?

Will Codemasters make it clear to buyers before they buy F1 2010, that if they have the misfortune to live in a country that Microsoft will never support ( been 3 years and Microsoft has not added any new countries to their supported country list of 26 ), Microsoft will block you from racing online. Codemasters did not do this with DIRT 2, so many players got ripoff of there hard earn $40-$70 when they bought DIRT 2, then LIVE block them from online racing! :(

Quote:
JB Buzz

To the Live Team:

What is the current situation in bringing Live to South Africa?

We have been given the same story for over 3.5 years now with still nothing concrete, and no hint of Live coming anywhere near us:

2006-08-22: http://www.joystiq.com/2006/08/22/xbox-360-invades-south-africa-next-month/

2007-05-09: http://www.news24.com/Content/SciTech/News/1132/7123d58d8cf14e66b9be56cecfe836ad/09-05-2007-11-02/Xbox_Live_set_to_roll_out_in_SA

2007-11-19: http://www.news24.com/Content/SciTech/News/1132/be4eb656c9ee46038c575b999e602f79/19-11-2007-12-04/Xbox_Live_keeps_SA_in_limbo

2008-01-16: http://www.lazygamer.co.za/xbox-360/no-xbox-live-for-south-africa/

2009-10-15: http://www.xboxgaming.co.za/news/xbox-live-to-launch-sooner-rather-than-later-in-south-africa/

Additional Reading:

* http://www.sayyoursay.com/Xbox360/
* http://www.sayyoursay.com/Xbox360/Xbox_Reply.aspx

As consumers, should we stop waisting our time, and money, and start supporting other gaming systems? WebAfrica will be launching a full mirror Steam server here next week, so Valve obviously can see a market.

What we're asking for is relatively simple, we're not wanting all the bells and whistles that come with XBox Live, but what we want is a South African gamertag, access to DLC, and access to multiplayer.

Wii's Network and the PSN are both available here, we even have iPhone stores and support from Apple.

We're tired of the same responses, please respond with something worthwhile so that we can either know that waiting for Live is on its way, or we can take our attention elsewhere and start supporting a system that supports us as a community.

I know I've created a seperate thread on this, I've done this as I can see this post getting lost, and then overlooked, in this thread.

Thank you.

NON-LIVE SUPPORTED COUNTRIES POST

I will never, ever buy a "Games for Windows LIVE" game again!!!! Please Codemasters, see the light and let all of us race online.